◎Chapter 29 ◎

I was too nervous to go into Elijah's room and I had no idea why. 

"What's wrong, don't you want to see him?" Lorcan asked, worried.

I shook my head. "No, I want to see him. But I feel- nervous." 

"You don't have to go in if you don't want to."

Again I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I'll just go in."

I took a deep breath before I enterend the room. Elijah was laying on the white hospital bed. I felt relieved when I saw he was sleeping. Now I wouldn't have to talk to him. I had no idea what to say to him, or how to feel about him. I had no idea how to feel about any of this. 

He sacrificed his whole future. For me.

I just couldn't believe that. He had stood up for me. And on top of that, I had stood up for myself. 

Walking closer until I was standing right beside his bed, I noticed a thick bandage wrapped around his throat, and when I looked closer I saw it was starting to stain red. 

"How is his throat?" I asked Thorn, who was sitting in a chair next to Elijah. 

Thorn gave me a reassuring look. "It's fine. It was a deep cut, but it didn't pierce his trachea."

"It should have."

We both ignored Lorcan's  remark and Thorn explained further. "But the doctors are keeping him sedated."

"Won't that slow down his wolf healing proces?"

Thorn threw a look at his Alpha, as if asking for permission. I grew suspicious. "What aren't you telling me?"

Turning to face Lorcan, I narrowed my eyes. "Tell me," I demanded.

He swallowed nervously and looked hesitant to tell me. "Elijah should've practically been completely healed by now. But the doctor found out he isn't even healing at all, at least not like a normal wolf would."

I frowned, not understanding what he was saying and looked at Elijah. It was certainly strange that his neck was bandaged up. He was still bleeding immensely in the car. A normal wolf heals fast, but an Alpha's healing power is the most impressive. He should've been healed by now, from head to toe. "How is that possible? He's an Alpha."

Lorcan sighed before he continued. "Just promise me you won't feel guilty, it's not your fault. It utterly and completely his."

My head snapped towards him and my heartbeat rose. "What are you talking about?"

"Promise me, Parker," Lorcan pressed. 

I gave him a strange look. I had seldom seen Lorcan so serious and my suspicion grew. "I promise," I said and urging him to continue. 

"Elijah is not healing because his wolf is rejecting him."

Confused I looked at Elijah and then back at Lorcan. "I don't get it. His wolf is refusing to heal him. Why?"

The Alpha shrugged. "We don't know. Our best guess is that his wolf is punishing him."

"Why?"

Both Lorcan and Thorn gave me a look, as if my question was ridiculous. When they saw I still didn't get it, Lorcan threw me an exasperated look. "Because of how he has been treating his mate, aka you Parker."

My mouth fell open and I glanced at my mate. He was laying there because of how he was treating me. That sounded so bizarre. I understood why Lorcan made me promise I wouldn't feel guilty, but as I studied Elijah, I realized I didn't feel guilty at all.