11. Humorous

Tyler shut his locker with a small sigh, slinging his bag over his shoulder. He didn't want to go home. He would rather just stay at school and sleep in the library. He was content doing that until he graduated.

However, Joshua was probably waiting on him, so he began walking to the door. It was 3:15 and he had decided to wait inside instead of outside so he could talk to his French teacher about extra credit. He had missed two questions on his last test, putting him at an 98.

He could not have a 98.

Tyler pushed the door open and spotted Joshua's car. He had to refrain from groaning. Joshua was utterly annoying and Tyler didn't know how much more he could handle.

He reached the car and got in, putting his seatbelt on without speaking just like the day before.

"Hey," Joshua greeted, driving away from the school.

"Hello," Tyler mumbled, resting his head on the window. He really did not want to engage in conversation.

"How was school?" Joshua asked. Tyler scoffed. Who was he? Tyler's mom?

Tyler didn't reply, instead stating straight ahead. However, he quickly became confused when Joshua pulled over into a Walmart parking lot.

"Are you going to drive?" Tyler asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Are you done acting like a brat?" Joshua countered.

Tyler was confused. "Excuse me?"

"I don't what your deal is. I don't know if you're just an entitled asshole or that much of a homophobic prick that you won't talk to me but I'm not putting up with it. I'm technically in charge of you and you're being disrespectful. You're being disrespectful to me as a person and I'm over it. If you really hate me that damn much then I'll quit and you can have your mom hire some crazy cat lady."

Tyler was speechless but this time not on purpose like the day before. Guilt instantly flood his body after Joshua had made the homophobia remark. "Okay," he said quietly. "I'm done. I apologize."

Joshua blinked and sat back in his seat, looking content with himself. He pulled out of the parking lot and continued to make his way to Tyler's house.

"Is there any particular reason you were avoiding me all day yesterday?" He asked.

Tyler swallowed. "No."

"You know you aren't gonna catch anything by me being gay, right?"

"I'm aware," Tyler replied in a quiet voice once again.

"Okay," Joshua nodded. "Now, how was school?" He repeated.

"Ordinary," Tyler shrugged. "Nothing eventful."

"That's blows. I'm sorry."

"It's alright."

The two fell silent again but this time it wasn't awkward or forced. It was natural and peaceful.

Even when Joshua arrived at Tyler's and they walked in, Tyler set his bag down on the couch to do his homework with Joshua. He felt absolutely terrible for what he said. He couldn't apologize though. It was too risky.

They sat and did their homework together, Joshua eventually asking Tyler for help on math.

It wasn't until 6:30 rolled around when Tyler was doing his Spanish homework that he heard Joshua's stomach rumble. He set his pencil down and glanced over at him. Joshua blushed slightly. "Are you hungry?" Tyler asked.

"Uh, a little," Joshua shrugged. "It's okay though. I'll just eat when I get home."

"Don't be ridiculous," Tyler got up and walked into the kitchen. "I can prepare us a meal."

Joshua walked into the kitchen after him, watching as Tyler opened the freezer and pulled out a bag of frozen vegetables. Joshua grimaced. "Uh, I think I'll just pass and eat when I get home. Thanks, though."

Tyler shrugged and cut open the bag, grabbing a skillet and the oil out so he could sauté them. "Suit yourself."

"No offense," Joshua began, leaning against the counter. "But I don't get how you eat any of this nasty shit."

Tyler shot him a look. "Language, Joshua."

"Sorry."

"None taken," Tyler continued. "I think the majority of it is distasteful."

"Why do you eat it then?" Joshua asked, interested. "Why don't you just eat other stuff?"

Tyler shook his head. "You think I have a choice. Humorous."

"Did Tyler just say something was funny?" Joshua teased him.

Tyler cracked a smile. He couldn't help it. "It seems so, yes."

Joshua gasped. "Did you just smile? Holy shit I think this is the first time I've seen you smile!"

Tyler let a laugh leave his lips. "Language, Joshua," he scolded lightly.

"This is monumental. A smile and a laugh?"

"Monumental is a large word for you," Tyler hummed, turning the stove on and setting the skillet on there so he could make his dinner.

"Maybe so," Joshua shrugged. "Anyway what did you mean? It's not your choice?"

"My mother thinks it's in my best interest to make me practice a vegan and gluten free diet. I am actually allergic to peanuts, however, and will receive a severe reaction if I consume them."

"How long have you been vegan?" Joshua questioned, that interest returning.

Tyler poured the vegetables on and lightly shook enough oil on for them to simmer. "My entire existence."

Joshua's eyes practically popped out of his head. "So you've never had like a cheeseburger? Or chicken nuggets? Or scrambled eggs?"

"No," Tyler replied. "Many foods have vegan options such as almond milk for cereal and I more than likely could search for vegan chicken but I don't think my mother would let me eat faux, processed food like that."

Joshua looked sympathetic. "Oh, man," he spoke sadly. "And you don't want to eat like this?"

"Not particularly but it's all I have ever known. Besides, it would be doubtful that my mother allows me to change my diet. I have never possessed the chance to do it on my own so..."

Joshua sat back. "Bummer."

"Indeed," Tyler agreed.

The two were quiet for a moment and it wasn't until Tyler was finishing his food up and dishing it onto a plate that Joshua spoke up again. "Ty?"

"Tyler," the mentioned corrected.

"You're not half bad."

Tyler blinked, the smile reappearing on his face. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."