33. Baseball

Josh waited outside the music store where Tyler had his piano lessons, drumming his fingers on the wheel. He had his bat, his glove and an extra, and a bucket full of baseballs in his backseat. He knew Kelly said no exercising for Tyler but he also knew neither of them would follow that rule.

He spotted Tyler walking out and he rolled down his window, waving slightly. Tyler's face perked up and made his way to the car, opening the door and getting in. "Hi," he greeted with a smile.

"Hi," Josh grinned right back. "You look cute."

"I'm wearing what I wear normally..." he trailed off, confused.

"I know. You normally look cute," Josh looked at him for a split second and winked.

"Joshua you are such a flirt."

"I know," he hummed. "Hey I forgot to ask you: how was lunch with your mom and John last Saturday?"

Tyler went silent.

"Ty?" Josh asked.

"Um..." he trailed off. "I, uh, I told him. I told Pastor John."

"Told him...?"

"Oh my goodness, Joshua. Good thing you have a good personality and handsome face because you are the slowest person I have ever met," Tyler groaned out, making Josh laugh. Once the noise died down he took a deep breath. "I told Pastor John that we were dating and that I was... um... gay."

Although Tyler mumbled the last part shamefully and looked down at his lap when he said it, Josh wasn't any less proud. He even pulled over into a pet store parking lot so he could look Tyler in the eye. "Are you being for real?" He asked softly, looking at him carefully.

Tyler's eyes widened. "Was I not supposed to? Did I do something wrong? I'm sorry I was just having a meltdown and he came to check on me—"

"You had a meltdown? What do you mean?"

"Um... my mom called a gay couple we saw in public disgusting so I went to the bathroom and I couldn't breathe and I was crying and my heart was racing and—"

"Tyler you had a panic attack."

The caused the mentioned to stop talking and look up. "I did?"

"Yeah," Josh confirmed sadly. "I've had a few before. I'm so sorry," he frowned, his heart hurting. "I wish I could've been there for you. I wish you would've told me."

"I didn't think it was a big deal, I'm sorry," Tyler replied.

"Hey, don't be sorry," Josh grabbed his hand. "I just want to make sure you're safe all the time. It's not fair that your mom drove you into a panic attack during lunch. It's so fucked up," he paused. "But I'm so fucking proud of you for telling John. It's so incredibly hard to come out— especially when you don't know if the person backing you will support you. I'm assuming his does?"

Tyler smiled a little. "Yeah. He said he didn't care. He said it wasn't anyone else's business except mine and yours."

"God how is a man like him dating a woman like your mother?" Josh groaned out making Tyler giggle. "The sex has to be good."

"What?"

Josh looked at him. "Based on the state of your mom whenever she comes home from dates with him they've slept together."

"Ew, Joshua," Tyler let go of his hands and pushed them away. "You're repulsive."

"But you can't get enough of me," he replied, making kissy noises. Tyler laughed loudly until Josh cut him off with a soft kiss.