31. Trust

Warning for a panic attack.

It was an hour after Tyler's piano lesson had ended and he was in his room, doing homework, when he mom walked in.

"Get ready. We're leaving."

Tyler turned around in his desk chair and raised an eyebrow. "We are?"

"What did I just say? Yes."

Tyler took a deep breath to refrain from sighing. "Where are we going?"

A small smile made its way onto his mom's face. "John invited us out to lunch."

"Pastor John?"

"Goodness, Tyler," she huffed. "Why do you ask so many questions? And yes, Pastor John. How many other Johns do we know?" She threw her hands up in the air. "Get ready. He's going to be here in five minutes."

And with that she walked out the door.

Tyler blinked before letting that sigh escape his lips. He got up and tugged his shoes on before grabbing a sweatshirt and running a hand through his fluffy hair. He slid his phone in his pocket, leaving his room and making his way downstairs.

Just as he was entering the living room, the doorbell rang and his mom smoothed her shirt before answering it. "Hello, John," she smiled and stepped aside to let him in.

He smiled back and kissed her on the cheek before seeing Tyler was there. "Oh, hey bud!"

Tyler was repulsed. He did not want to see anyone kissing his mom. Then again, he didn't want to see his mom at all.

"Hello, Pastor John," Tyler nodded at him.

"Feel free to call me John, Tyler," he laughed.

"I'm alright."

Kelly shot Tyler a look and he responded with a stoic facial expression.

"Uh," Pastor John broke the stare off. "Are you two ready to go?"

Kelly looked back at him and smiled. "Of course. C'mon, baby," she pulled Tyler into her side and walked him out the door, pulling it shut behind her.

They all went into Pastor John's car and Tyler sat awkwardly in the back. He stared out the window as they made their way to their destination.

"I made sure to pick a place where you could find something to eat, Tyler," Pastor John spoke up.

Tyler softened slightly at how considerate that was. Most people just chose somewhere and if Tyler couldn't find anything to eat then he was out of luck.

"Thank you," he replied quietly.

Pastor John smiled at him through the rearview mirror. "Of course."

Tyler remained silent after that, twiddling his thumbs to keep busy. A few minutes later he glanced up and saw his mom and Pastor John holding hands over the center console.

His heart clenched at the thought of Joshua. He wished his boyfriend was there.

Tyler took his phone out and went to Snapchat to text him.

Tyler
It's been one day but I miss you

A moment later it showed Joshua was typing. Finally, he responded and Tyler smiled.

Joshua
I miss u too baby. So much.

He followed up with another message that made him confused, however.