Chapter 10

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry."

I already feel like I let myself down because I can't think of any other words to say. I can never fully think and form words when I am around Tre. His presence alone makes my head spin.

I bit my lip and fiddle with my fingers, nervous to what he could say. He could say whatever is on his mind and he could very easily hurt my feelings, again, like usual.

But he doesn't say anything at first. He keeps staring at me intently like he's trying to figure out everything in my head. I wish he really could read my mind so I don't have to say anything and most likely embarrass myself, yet again.

He keeps looking at me and I finally break eye contact, moving around him and resting my elbows on the concrete ledge, looking out over the campus. The mist feels refreshing against my face that cools down my never-ending nerves. He always makes me nervous.

I wait to hear if he's going to walk away but it's silent. I haven't ever known him to be the guy who walks away, but anything can happen with him. He's so unpredictable and I can never figure out what he's thinking or what's he going to do next. He's been a mystery to me. A mystery I haven't even gotten close to figuring out.

I pick at a loose thread on my sweatshirt sleeve and suddenly I hear him turn around.

"You always turn away from me." His voice is mumbled and I could barely hear him when he said it.

I look over my shoulder and he walks to stand beside me.

"Every time you're near me, you turn away," he starts and brings his hands out of his jeans pockets, resting his arms also on the ledge. "Am I that repulsing to you?" A small smirk joins on his lips and I can't help but chuckle at him.

My cheeks warm from the thought that Tre is anything but repulsing. I clear my throat and run a strand of hair behind my ear, looking over at him. His eyes are now looking across the campus, squinted in a way like he was searching for something out on the horizon.

"I'm sorry for what I said."

He looks over at me and I swallow hard, trying to get my dry cotton mouth moist.

"I know you are." He simply says and goes back to looking at the scenery.

I struggle to find other words to say. I want to explain myself and tell him how terrible I feel, but I'm afraid he's going to be short with me and not listen. He doesn't seem like he wants to talk at all.

"Um, why are you up here on the roof?" My voice is quiet so I don't think he heard me. He's still staring across the campus so I go back to playing with that loose thread on my sweatshirt.

"I like to come up here to think." His voice is soft against the misty silence and he turns his head to look at me. "It's always quiet."