Chapter 37

Mad World - Madilyn BaileyPretty When You Cry - Lana Del ReyMake It Rain - Ed Sheeran

Pretty When You Cry - Lana Del Rey
Make It Rain - Ed Sheeran

-
"911, What's your emergency?"

"Please you need to help me!" I cry into the phone receiver. "My name's Evangeline West. I don't know what's going on but something bad is about to happen. Someone's already been shot and there are more in danger."

I pace around my dorm room and try to control the sobs that are still wracking through my body. Time is ticking by. I don't have a lot of time left.

"Take a deep breath ma'am. Where are you? Do you know who's been shot? Is he still breathing?"

"No he's dead and there's going to be more! You need to send the police over to the docks by the river right now! There's a gang there that's going to kill more and you need to help please!"

I'm surprised I can form coherent sentences with how tight my throat is and how much my lips are trembling. My hands are shaking and my breathing is unsteady. If I wasn't running on adrenaline right now, I would be having a full blown panic attack.

"Just remain calm. Do you know where at by the river they are? Are you there right now?"

The dispatcher's voice is soft and calm, which normally would make me feel better, but her voice does nothing for me now. Nothing could make me feel calm about this situation. How do you remain calm in a dangerous life or death matter? You don't. Your fight or flight response kicks in and you make decisions based on the adrenaline and panic that courses through your body. You make reckless decisions because it feels like that's what you should be doing to survive. That's all we're really doing, just trying to survive this thing we call life. 

"I don't know, but I know that more people are going to die. Please help me!" I plea, putting a hand to my forehead. "This gang has been the one who's robbing the stores and setting the fires around downtown. They're dangerous and I'm telling you something horrible is going to happen and you need to help me before it's too late! Please they're going to kill him!"

Who are they going to kill? Talk to me ma'am. I am going to notify the police right now. Stay on the line with me.

I look at the call time and start to hyperventilate. Oh fuck. I don't have any more time to spare. I need to get to Tre right now. There is no more, time has run out.

"Please send help. I have to go," I stammer, my entire body trembling.

"Ma'am-" I abruptly hang up the phone and shove the phone into my coat pocket after seeing the small numbers at the end of the call time.

50 seconds.

~*~
"I dream a world where man, no other man will scorn, where love will bless the earth, and peace its paths adorn."