34

My eyes opened to see Shawn's smiling face, his smile was so big I couldn't help but smile back because it was so contagious.

"Good morning baby bear" he says pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Morning big bear" I yawned before I cuddled closer to him.

"Wake up and get dressed, your graduating today!" He cheered and I smiled as I quickly got out of bed grabbing the t-shirt off the floor and throwing it on my bare body.

I rushed to the bathroom and freshened up having a quick shower. I even put a face mask on and got fully ready getting out my dress and shoes. While Shawn kindly made me breakfast I had time to curl my hair and look presentable.

Because today was going to be one of the best days of my life.

All the hard work and everything I suffered for years has finally got me somewhere.

I truly was proud of myself because if I've learnt something, it was that behind every strong woman lies a little girl who learned how to get up and never depend on anyone.

I put my light peach coloured dress on and put in some nice earrings and slipped on my small heels before I sprayed my fancy perfume. I plastered my smile on because I was truly happy today.

"Athena I have your breakfast ready" Shawn calls and I took a deep breath before I rushed out of my room.

I was greeted by Cookie who was also super energetic like always, I hugged him and petted him. "Morning Cookie, my precious boy" I cooed at the puppy who barked happily and then continued running around, I laughed before making my way to the kitchen.

"Wow my baby, you look so beautiful and grown up" Shawn says as he looked at me and I proudly twirled around. He pulled me into his arms and kissed me multiple times.

"I'm going to get ready so you can eat then we have to leave" he says excitedly and I nodded as I went to eat my breakfast.
______

"Athena Romano" my name was called and I proudly smiled before I walked up in my hat and gown to receive my diploma. I shook the principles hand before taking it and then proceeded to sit down. 

I looked in the crowed to see Shawn who was filing the whole thing, he was sat there dressed all smartly with a proud smiled on his face too.

There was no one then him I would rather share this day and joyous day with.

If only my parents could see me today up here, achieving everything when they left me with nothing. I wish I could just see their faces full of regret, but I wished they regretted everyday of their lives.

Once the graduation ceremony was over we all had to take a huge photo. I stood at the front as I was super small but between everyone taking a picture, I couldn't even take this smile off my face. Then we were allowed to go see our families and friends or whoever we brought with us.

I immediately went running into Shawn's opened arms and he caught before stumbling slightly from the impact. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck as my head rested in his chest and his hands patted my back.

"I'm so proud of you Athena, so proud baby!" He says tilting my head up and kissing me.

My stomach was over-joyed and filled with butterflies. I stayed in his arms for a few minutes before I took a deep breath looking around.

I made it, without anyone but Shawn by my side.

"Now smile for me" He says as I stood with a huge smile on my face so he could take a picture of me.