Part 37

As we walked into the hotel room I watched him lock the deadbolt and latch the door and I suddenly felt a weight being lifted off my shoulders--at least for the moment.

"Why don't you go soak in a hot bath and I'll order us some dessert and find something to watch," he suggested.

I took a deep breath and wrapped my arms around him, laying my head on his chest.

"Whatever happens between us, whatever you decided to do after the wedding and the babies come...just...please don't let him get me," I pleaded in a whisper.

I was tired of being strong on my own. I wanted someone else to watch my back for once.

He pulled back until he was looking into my eyes, "What are you talking about? You think after all of that is over that I'm--what—going to leave? I thought you understood that we're actually together? Is that what's been upsetting you? You think I'll leave?"

I nodded, "And I don't blame you, Preston. I know I have a lot of baggage, but...just help me get away from him for good before you go, please."

He brushed his hands down my hair and looked over my face before settling back at my eyes, "I'm not leaving, I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not letting you go. You can't get rid of me that easily. I know a good thing when I see it and you, Daisy Mitchell, are a damn good thing. I'll be with you every waking moment and when you're sleeping, I'll be wrapped around you. You'll get so sick of me but I'll never let him get to you and I'll never let you go."

I brought my hand up into his hair at the back of his head, lightly tugging, "Promise you'll stay? Promise you'll be by my side?"

He nodded, "I promise. I'm not going anywhere, sweetheart. Now, stop stressing yourself and go get in the bath. I don't want any other answer but 'Yes, Sir.'"

"Yes, Sir," I whispered, feeling his hands turn me around and guide me into the bathroom.

***

"Are you nice and pruney now," he asked as he walked into the bathroom.

The water had grown cold, but I couldn't bring myself to get out just yet. I had spent the time mechanically washing my body, scrubbing the parts that Hawthorne had touched, had breathed on, and felt like I was in a fog.

I had time to think about everything that happened and everything that could happen and...I couldn't find a solution that best suited Preston and me.

"I am," I whispered, my eyes still on a spot on the wall, as I held my hand up for him to see my fingers.

Preston walked closer and grabbed my hand as he crouched beside the tub. He kissed the pads of my fingers, one by one, before brushing a hand down my wet hair, "You need me to help you out?"

I took a deep breath and willed myself not to let the tears that stung my eyes fall, "Yeah, I can't seem to move."

He nodded, "I've got you, Flower."

And he did. He wrapped his hands around my upper arms and pulled me up before walking over to the counter and grabbing one of the big fluffy white towels.

When he came back, he wrapped the towel around me and pulled me out of the tub before rubbing the towel down my body, drying me off.

"Spread," he commanded in a low voice as he crouched down in front of me.

I spread my legs and felt him pat the towel down my thigh, my knee and my calf before starting on the other leg.

And I hadn't missed the fact that he took a deep breath as his face was mere inches from my core before standing and pulling the towel around my back and patting me down, all the way to my behind where he dried and then cleared his throat, taking a step back.