Part 54

"What were you guys talking about," He asked quietly after a while of us just sitting side by side.

"Um, she was telling me how she used to look up to Dominic and now that he's getting married and having kids, she doesn't anymore. I had to reassure her that he is still very much a badass," I chuckled.

He scoffed playfully, "That hurts but I see where she's coming from, I guess."

"What do you mean, " I turned and looked at him.

He had his arms crossed under his head, his eyes closed, his face towards the sun, "She's asexual and the closest one of us to her was Dominic. He's obviously very hetero but he kept all of the women he saw a secret so every family function we had he was always alone. All the conversations he was in he never said whether he was seeing someone or not and that gave Nyx hope that he was like her...but then Genevieve came along and cleared that right up."

Asexual?

I cleared my throat, "What, um...what does asexual mean?"

He chuckled, "She has no desire for sex or romance. She has friends, but never anything more."

"Wow, well that explains quite a bit. Why is she so...angry though," I pressed.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I think it's because no one around her is like her. She's the only ace person I've ever met and I'm sure the same can be said for her. It's sad but no one really gets her, you know? Even her mom is still trying to get her to meet people."

I decided not to ask any questions about whether her mother knew or not. It was intriguing but it also wasn't any of my business, "And what makes her think that Katherine is any different? Why not Elijah or even Nathaniel?"

"Katherine doesn't bring girls around and she doesn't talk about them so I think that gives Nyx hope but Katherine is very much a...well, a lesbian. And she's been seeing the same woman for a few years now. They have some kind of agreement or something," I watched his shoulders shrug.

"So Nyx will soon realize that Katherines out too," he finished.

"And Elijah and Nathaniel," I asked.

"Elijah's talked about girlfriends before. And Nathaniel is...well I don't know what Nathaniel is, but he's not asexual. He's liked people...hinted around some subjects but nothing ever serious," he said with a frown.

"What does that mean? He's 'liked people', he's 'hinted around subjects'?"

Preston cleared his throat, "I wouldn't ever judge my brother but I can't tell if he's on one side of the fence or the other."

"Oh...So, he could be bisexual," I asked.

He shrugged again, "Maybe. I've never tried to talk to him about it. That's not something that I...I wouldn't even know how to bring that conversation up with him. He's still in college. He's probably just trying to figure himself out so who knows if he even knows."

I nodded but decided not to push the subject.

We were silent for a few peaceful moments before I heard him sit up, "Are you okay now? Do you think you would make it through introductions? I asked my mother to kind of...calm down with the affection."

I opened my eyes and looked up at him, "You didn't. Tell me you didn't hurt that poor woman's feelings. It was my fault that I ran out of there, not hers. Now I have to go and apologize on top of my already thought out apology," I grumbled.

"You don't have to apologize to anyone, Daisy," he said sternly, "She came on strong and I just asked her to give you some space, that's all. I let her down gently," he chuckled.

I sighed as I took his outstretched hand and let him pull me up from the chair.

"Besides," he said in a dark manner, "Your treat is right around the corner."

I couldn't help the grin the sprang up on my lips as he placed his arm around my shoulders and lead us to the doors, "And what do you get in return?"

His smirk made my chest tighten. I don't think I'd ever get over it, the evil yet sexy half grin thing, "I'll get you tonight. Out here."

My brows raised to the sky, "Out here? What?"

He looked down at me and grinned even wider, "Oh, yeah. I'll have you singing with the wildlife, my love."

"What the fück, Preston? We can't be a normal couple and have quiet but passionate sèx in your bedroom? No, of course not. You want me out here screaming my fucking head off. And what if someone hears me? You probably would get off at my embarrassment. Should've known, you fucking sadist," I said with an elbow to his ribs and a teasing grin on my lips.

He stopped, just froze, in the middle of the dock. He frowned and I saw his brow furrow. As if still in a trance he grabbed my hands and looked me in the eyes.

"I will never get off at your embarrassment. I would never hurt you and get off to it unless you were enjoying it too. I... I've changed, Daisy, I swear," he looked a million years away.

I took one of my hands out of his and cupped his face, "Preston, come back to me, baby," I whispered as I rubbed my thumb across his cheek.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. And this time I could tell I was his sole focus, "I'm sorry...I..."

I shook my head, "It's okay. Whatever happened just now, whatever you were thinking about, whatever you were reliving...it's in the past. So, let's keep it there. Yeah?"

He grabbed my face and kissed me gently before pulling back.

His eyes were fierce and piercing as they locked in on mine, "I'm not that same person, Daisy. That's not me anymore, I swear. I was...it was a dark place but I'm better now and I'll never hurt you, not really and not without your full understanding and consent."

I couldn't tell if he was trying to assure me of it or reassure himself of it but I knew this had nothing to do with me, not really.

It was heartbreaking to watch him fight this battle in his mind and not have any idea what it was.

Would he tell me if I asked?

But with the way he was acting...would I want to even know?

Yes. Of course.

"Do you...do you want to talk about it," I asked gently.

He shook his head, "No. I never want to live that moment again. I lost control, I was angry, and I wasn't myself. All I was thinking about was how I could make the feelings: the betrayal, the hurt, and the disappointment stop. It was too much all at once and I hurt her— I mean, I hurt someone and that was ultimately what lead to our downfall. But I'm not that way anymore. I've changed. I...I'm better now."

So, I wasn't the only one with baggage. He wasn't perfect like I originally thought.

He was human.

With a dark secret that apparently haunted him if triggered.

"You still love me," he asked in a whisper. His eyes were childlike.

Like he needed reassurance that even though he wasn't perfect, even though he had his own demons, even though his closet was full like a graveyard, he was worthy of someone else's love.

He was like me. And that's why he fought so hard for me. And I ran from him, from his man who swore he was better than the demons that haunted him.

And he was. He had never hurt me like he apparently hurt 'her', and I couldn't help but wonder who this 'her' was and what kind of hurt it was.

But if he didn't want to tell me then I would wait until he was ready, if he ever was.

"Of course, baby," I reassured him, "I still love you. You still love me?"

His eyes traveled all over my face before stopping at my eyes again, "I don't think I could ever stop."