Part 45

*Daisys' POV*

------------------------------------------

I looked at my reflection in the dingy motel mirror and could barely recognize the woman that looked back.

Her eyes were the same as mine, her face pale like mine, her cheeks and nose dusted with the same freckles as mine, but her hair and eyebrows...

They were jet black. Her hair was shoulder length and she had bangs across her forehead.

The choppy look she sported made me cringe but thankfully the bangs were all the same length and they didn't look all that bad.

I would have to make do with what I had. The texture was still there; there was no mistaking the curly hair that could only belong to me under the black dye. The hair cut made me look younger, years younger...but at least I didn't look like myself.

I was also glad that I had purchased some makeup to mask the freckles in case anyone was looking at me too long and recognized.

With a sigh, I turned and walked out into the motel room. I checked my watch and saw that it was 8:25 and knew that if I didn't call Preston soon he would send the calvary after me.

With steady fingers, I punched in his number into the cheap phone and listened to it ring until, on the third ring, he answered in a harsh tone.

"What took so long?"

I chuckled and laid back against the pillows, "It's nice to hear your voice as well, Preston."

I heard him sigh before his voice softened, "It is nice, but I wish I could've heard it sooner. I've been worried, Daisy."

It was my turn to sigh, "Well, don't be. I'm fine. I've managed to get through 21 years without your guidance and I'm still alive. I just wanted to let you know that I'm okay, I've already had something to eat, and I'll be going to bed here shortly. I've got a long day of driving tomorrow."

"I'm glad to hear that even if you won't let me take care of you, you are taking care of yourself. I miss you like crazy and I wish I was there with you. And please, for me...don't drive too long tomorrow. It's not good for your eyes or your mind. Take many many breaks, Flower."

"I'll try to take as many breaks as I can afford, but tomorrow will be a busy day."

I obviously couldn't tell him about the plan that I had come up with while I waited for the dye to set in the bathroom earlier.

I saw an old rusted two door pick up truck in the parking lot that had a 'For Sale' sign in the window. I knew the old truck wouldn't have any technology in it besides the radio and even then it wasn't one that Preston could have his 'tech genius' brother hack into.

I had caught sight of a black car following me about 200 miles back and guessed it had to belong to Preston or someone that Preston had 'watching' me. I watched from the cracked curtains of my motel window as the car pulled into the lot as well, but I planned to leave very early in the morning to slip past their watchful eye.

I just had to make sure that Preston was still at his parents' house and that the black car parked at the edge of the lot didn't belong to him.

"Tell me what you see right now," I whispered, and though I felt like it was just for the sake of wanting to know where he was, it was also to take my mind off of the dingy cigarette stained walls, the floral comforter that had one too many burn holes, and the dark green carpet that had questionable stains.

"Tell me exactly what you see, please. Take me there with you," I pleaded.

"My parents' house sits in front of a lake--Lake Blackstone--and you can walk from the back doors to the lake via the dock so I'm on the edge of the dock, laying on a lawn chair, looking up at the stars. Can you hear the animals? They sing for you. They wonder why you're not here..."