Part 53

"Ma," Preston called, gathering the attention of all the ladies in the room as we rounded the corner.

My eye landed on Genevieve sitting on a stool at the island in the middle of the massive kitchen, a hand on her stomach and a smile plastered on her face. I cleared my throat and looked away from her eyes as they landed on me. I noticed three older women on the other side of the island, each with their own bowl or cookie sheet in front of them. 

A woman with long dark brown hair came from the center of the three with an overly excited smile on her face. I could instantly tell that it was genuine, though.

I saw her hazel eyes gloss over as she stopped in front of me.

The room grew quiet as her eyes roamed my features before she gently took my face in her warm hands, "You are even more beautiful than he described," she said in a whispered awe.

I couldn't breathe for a moment. This lovely woman who birthed my...my boyfriend thought I was beautiful.

She liked me? She accepted me? She was crying.

"Please don't cry, Mrs. Blackstone," I whispered as I watched the tears gather at the corners of her eyes.

I felt Preston's warm hand on the small of my back and instantly felt reassured. 

She pat the rouge tears away with the pads of her fingers before taking my hand, "Please, call me Cora. I'll have none of that Mrs. Blackstone nonsense."

I nodded and noticed her eyes never left mine.

"Ma," Preston said gently, "Are you going to introduce her?"

She finally looked beside me at Preston and smiled again, "Of course, I was just," her eyes met mine, "I'm just so glad you're finally here."

I didn't know how much she knew or if she knew anything at all, but having her love and support was...was like a weight to my chest as I thought about what I was putting her son through.

If I wasn't careful I would start to spiral. I would run again.

I would run from this woman with tears in her eyes and love in her smile. I would run from the man who only wanted to show me love and kindness.

He was prepared to handle my baggage and take out the main character of my nightmares. He was ready for whatever my past threw at him...

And he surely didn't deserve it.

I could feel my breathing become labored, "I'm sorry, I just—."

I took my hand from hers and looked for an escape route. I needed out, even for just a moment.

I spotted a set of French doors and bolted but not before looking back, "I'll be back. I just...I need air. I'm sorry."

I pushed the door open and instantly was transported back to the conversation that I had with Preston over the phone while I was in a motel room.

As I shut the door I took in my surrounds and almost knew what I was looking at.

The deck leading to the lake, the lawn chairs at the end of the dock. The place Preston had been when he painted a picture of the night sky above for me. The chairs he pictured us laying on, our hands intertwined as we looked at constellations together. 

And then I noticed someone at the end of the dock.

Sighing, I pushed my feet to take me forward. I didn't want company but something told me the girl didn't either.

I took a seat on the chair beside her but didn't look over. Her mid-length black hair was shining in the sunlight and from the corner of my eye, I could see she had earbuds in.