Chapter 14 - Riches

I get home and I discover the kids are back. Brock runs up to me and says hello. I walk upstairs and talk to Shay for a bit.

"So you met some new friends?" Shay asked as he scrolls through some YouTube comments.

'Yeah, they're called Nick and Hugh. They seem cool I guess"

"Don't get too buddy cause we're leaving soon. Although we still have to come back here for work" Shay removes the Volcom cap from his head.

"Right, they said they would show me some of LA tomorrow" I say, not wanting to lie or get in trouble. He reaches into his desk draw and pulls out an old Nokia phone.

"I don't want you out in LA without a mobile to contact us. You make sure you text us every hour to say where you are!" I understood Shays concerns. Although I didn't want to upset him, texting every hour was a bit much but I agreed anyway.

He calls Gavin from downstairs.

"GAVIN! COME HERE!"

I hear Gavin coming up the stairs at a pace like no other.

"Yeah dad?" He says, slightly out of breath from galloping up the stairs.

"Have you got an old wallet Harry can use until we can buy him one?" Shay asks.

"I have an old green Oakley one I got free with a cap" he runs back downstairs to his bedroom, obviously running to get it. He comes back and hands me the wallet.

"You can put your gym card in there now" Shay suggests.

Gavin goes back downstairs and Shay takes his wallet out of his back pocket. He opens it up and reveals what looks like over $300 cash. He counts out $100 and passes it to me.

"To start off the new wallet, and for your day out tomorrow" Shay smiles and gestures for me to put the money away quickly.

"Thanks, I can't explain ho-" I get interrupted

"We have the money, it doesn't matter. The kids get far too much, we owe you this" Shay reassures me.

"You don't owe me anything, your family has already given me so much!" I say this with pressure. His family really has been too nice to me, buying me all new clothes, shipping me to LA (basically), taking me to a gym?, looking after me. I owe these people my life and its been less than a month. I owed them everything.

"We are here to look after you and that's what we're doing, as long as you respect our wishes and follow the rules everything will be alright" he puts his hand on my shoulder and walks off.

I was still in shock as he walked away and I stayed sat on the sofa in his office. I looked at the money I had been given and put the wallet in my pocket. After dinner I went back upstairs to bed and hid the wallet under my mattress. The next morning I woke up, went to the gym with Shay and got ready to go out around LA.

"You took ages tea boy" Nick says as I enter the coffee shop.

"I have....strict parents?" I say, not really sure how to make up an excuse for getting back from the gym late.

"So you want to head into LA?" Hugh asks as he flips up his skateboard.

"Yeah, sure. I don't have a skateboard" I say nervously.

"Do you like running?" Nick asks as he gets up to leave.

"Yeah, bu-" I was interrupted again.

'Just think of it as long distance" Hugh leaves the shop and kickflips on his skateboard and begins to glide down the street. Nick follows which leaves me to jog behind like a noob.