Chapter 29 - Could of been me

It was Sunday. I walked out of my bedroom in a suit. They were clothes fit for church.

"You're coming to church?" Shay asks surprised.

"I guess" I decided to go to church, iv'e done a lot of bad things lately and maybe by going to church with my family I can gain some good karma back.

"Well if you're coming you can take Gavin your car if you like?" Collette looks at Gavin as he walks over.

"If I have to, com'on kid" I say in a sarcastic way and pat Gavin on the head. He follows me and gets in the truck. I follow Collette in the truck.

"So how are you Gav?" I try to spark conversation.

"I'm good, like usual"

"Anything been happening at school? Any girls?"

"Well...there's this girl named Emily" He acts shy.

"What's she like?"

"She's really pretty" I could tell he was going red.

"Are you going to tell her that?" I stop at a red light.

"I don't know"

"Well, I can tell you for experience of course that you should probably wait until your older" I continue to drive.

"Dad was really mad at you that time"

"Yeah, I really messed up" I start to think about Jesse again, how does he feel?

"They say we learn from our mistakes, do you think thats true?"

"Yeah I believe that, I can tell you I won't be getting down with any girl whilst inside the Butler house ever again" Gavin laughs and it makes me laugh back.

As I pull up for church I see Shay doing his one-take-Sundays which he brought back a week or two ago. He was obviously doing it whilst he waited for me and Gavin to get here. After we came out of church I realised I had learnt so much about the Mormon religion and I had only been to church with my family on special occassions. I wanted to become more of a man, what I did at the party was unacceptable. I would never let myself get into that state again.

A week or so later it was the start of the new school year. I picked up Jesse as he rang me and said he had missed the bus, I thought I would be a good person and pick him up, considering it was raining. He got into the car, he was drenched like a Sewer rat.

"Hey bud" I say as I start the car up and head to school.

"Hey, dad wasn't impressed with my grades last year so I have to bump things up this year"

"Same, English isn't my strong point when it comes down to Shakespeare"

"That dudes from England, you should know everything about him"

"errrr....yeah....no of course I bloody don't" We laugh together, which we hadn't been able to do in a long time. We have quite a long conversation about general things, but not once does he mention Becca. I couldn't take it anymore, I needed to know how he was doing.

"So how are you holding up...with you know...the Becca situation?"

I can see him looking at me blankly from the corner of my eye. He was silent for a little while before he decided to speak.

"She told her parents" He turned away from me and looked out the window.

"She told her parents and she went to the doctors, she really is pregnant. Her parents are good people, I've held them off from telling my dad as long as I can. I think they're telling him soon." As he continues to speak we pull up at school.

I stay silent as I study the outside of the school, the school I must of been to over 100 times since I had moved here. But it still felt new to me as everyday was different.

"It's really mine" Jesse says as he puts his head in his hands. He knows the mess he has made.

"It's going to be fine, you'll be a good dad" I try to comfort him, I could tell it wasn't working.

"I don't want a kid, not yet anyway, I'm too young" he whimpers

I sit back in the drivers seat and grab my bag from behind me. The rain battered down on the metal roof. I couldn't help but think it should be me in his position, he didn't deserve this and I just got lucky.

"Mate, I don't know what to say. I really wish you wasn't in this position" I pat him on the back.

"I don't want to be in this position either but everything happens for a reason" He grabs his bags and gets out the car and walks to lesson straight away. I get out and lock the car watching him disapear though the doorway. I go to my lessons without meeting up with Katie.

"Where were you this morning?" Katie asks as she waits for me by my car after school.

"I dropped Jesse off, I didn't feel like talking" I admit.

She gets into the car. It was still raining lightly. I start up the car and drive to her house. I wasn't really in the mood for anything. I was still shocked about Jesse and Becca.

Katie looks at me as I stop outside her house. She holds one of my hands, the other was on the wheel.

"There's no one home and I'm bored. Want to come in." She was flirting with me to try and get me inside. I was forcing a smile, I didn't really want to go in but I was thinking being with her might cheer me up a bit. We get inside and I take my jacket off, it was soaked through. She goes into the kitchen and begins to make a sandwich. I walk up behind her and grab her hips and place my head on her shoulder.

I was quite a bit taller than her and had to bend down quite a bit to do so. She was smiling and continued to make her sandwhich.

"Do you want one?" She turns her head to face me. I reply by kissing her on the lips.

"Is that a yes?" I stop her from talking by kissing her again. I just wanted something to take my mind off of Jesse and the fact he was going to be a dad. I hadn't really spoke much all day and I still wasn't speaking now.

I picked her up and she wrapped her legs around me. I instantly ran upstairs with her and threw her on the bed. I looked out the window and the rain continued to pour. We continued to make out for a long time until she pulled off her shirt and tried to undo my jeans. I still continued to say nothing.

She reached backwards and shuffled her hand around in her bedside drawer until she pulled out a condom.

"This time, you can remember" She shuffles towards me. I freeze.

Suddenly it all came back to me, the party, what i was doing. Katie spilling the alcohol on the bed, the master bedroom, me smashing the bottle and .....having sex.

I looked at her and realised what I was about to comit to. The idea that I could be like Jesse. The fact I came so close to becoming a dad. I couldn't let that happen again. I do up my trousers and put my t-shirt back on without saying a word to Katie. I begin to run down the stairs.

"What the hell? I thought you loved me?" I can hear her shout but I ignore it. My tshirt goes on and I grab my jacket. I practically run to the car get in a drive home.

All I can think about is pregnancy and Shay in my head saying something along the lines of 'I can't have you living in this household anymore'.