Chapter 30 - Bunking

Going to make a nice long chapter for everyone as I can see people are enjoying the story. Thanks for the support everyone :) (Loved the ending to this one, if you do too remember to give it a vote, have a great day guys!)

I get into the house, my hair is wet and I shiver from the cold breeze. it's not usually this type of weather at this time of year where we live. It was an unexpected rainy day.

I take my backpack off my back and place it on the side table. I take off my jacket and hang it up. I walk inside and see Gavin playing minecraft on his xbox, the same game we played over a year ago when i first came to live with this family. He nodded at me as I walked upstairs and went into my bedroom, everything was quiet.

I enjoyed the quiet and sat down on my bed, I decided to check on Jesse. I picked up my phone and gave it a ring. No answer. I tried again. No answer.

I was unsure on what to do. So I thought about what had just happened. I walked out on Katie, I didn't even mean to but I couldn't help it. I was thinking about ringing her and apologizing but I wasn't in the mood to speak to her and have an argument. I just felt so low and I had no reason to. It wasn't my fault that Becca was pregnant and Jesse was in that position but I couldn't help but feel that way.

When I first met Jesse he was a loud mouthed boy. He didn't really care what anyone thought of him. Then his mum got a boyfriend who became a violent step-dad to Jesse. I knew Jesse's home life wasn't very good and I would try my best to keep him away from it. his mum would drink and now his step-dad would do the same. Combined it must of been a living hell.

Since the whole Becca thing he had been more quiet and kept to himself. He seemed more depressed and I hated seeing him like that, it wasn't the Jesse that I knew.

The next day I saw Jesse waiting by the bus stop as I drove past. I parked by the kerb and honked my horn a couple of times to signal him over. He looked up and semi-smiled and began to walk over to the truck. I took out my phone and looked at the time. As Jesse got into the car I turned to look at him to see if his happiness had improved.

When he sat in the car I was greeted with a black and blue mark around Jesse's right eye.

"woah, are you okay?" I look at him in horror, it looked awful.

"I'm, fine"

"You don't look fine!" I shout back

"It's nothing!" He turns to me and I see it in more detail. It looked extremely painful and sore.

"Do you want me to take you to the hospital or something?" I become desperate for something to do.

"Just take me to school and let me face the day, like I do everyday" He leads his head on his hand and looks out the window.

I go quiet again and think about all of the reasons of how he could of possibly gotten that lump on his face. I decide to take the drastic option and turn the car around and begin to head to the pharmacy.

"Where are you going?" he replies to my change in plan.

"To the pharmacy"

"The drug store?"

"Yeah, whatever you Americans call it"

"We're going to miss school" he insists

"Who cares, you can't go into school looking like that!" I continue to advance to the Pharmacy ignoring his statement. I couldn't let him go into school looking that bad. Shay lets me keep $100 in the car at all times tucked away secretly for emergencies. I decided this was the time to use that money.