Chapter 15 - A new path

I continue to run behind them both and they wait for me at points to catch my breath.

"Com'on slow poke" Nick shouts

"That doesn't apply when you're on skateboards and I'm not" I explain.

We get into a part of LA where there's more shops than anything. I see the Santa Monica pier in the background. We must of run at least 2 miles from the coffee shop. I ask if we can stop for a drink so I run into a convenience store and grab three coca colas.

"Cheers mate, but instead of waiting in that long line you could of  just nabbed them" Hugh says taking a chug from his drink.

"Steal it?" I ask.

"Yes jelly for brains, shove it in your pocket and walk out, pretty simple" We go and sit by the wall near the sand. I text Shay "IM OKAY".

"So what now?" I ask curiously

"We should get you a skateboard!" Nick sounds excited.

"There's a nice $120 one on the end of that shop front down there, pre built and everything" Hugh points to a shop at the end of this strip.

"I don't have that sort of cash" I lie, well technically I wasn't lying since I was still $20 short.

"For gods sake! You don't have to pay! How'd you think me and Nick got these boards!"

"Sponsors?" I say

"Seriously? Would love to but hell no! We stole this shit, easy and simple!" Nick examines his skateboard.

"Really?"

"Yep! So we are going to get you a board too!" Hugh gets up and tells me a plan.

"Whilst me and Nick go in to the shop and ask the shop assistant for help with our boards. You sneak in and nab one of the boards off the front desk. He won't even notice you didn't come in with one. Its a skateboarding shop, people usually go there to fix their skateboards." I don't trust Hugh but I don't want to look like an idiot. I go along with the plan.

"Let's go, we want to be in and out quickly" we all walk towards the store. As we walk in the bell dings and I stand behind Nick and Hugh trying to mimic me holding a board. The shop keeper is standing behind the counter studying us. He has nose piercing and huge spacers in his ears. I stand to the right of the desk and see the board to the right, on display.

"So I need some new bearing for my board. Do you know what ones will fit?" Hugh asks as he puts his board on the desk.

"If you want to go fast you're going to need these new ones just in" he turns around to grab the bearing and I grab the skateboard to the right. But with the skateboard came the display it was sitting on crashing on the floor and making a loud noise.

"Shit boys! Run!" Hugh shouts as he grabs his board off the desk. Hugh and Nick both sprint out and I grab the board off the shelf. By the time I grab it Nick and Hugh are already out the door. Not waiting for me. I scramble to the exit but trip on the clothes rack. The board comes flying out of my hand and hits the glass door, presenting a crack in the bottom of it.

I try to scramble to my feet when a hand grabs the back of my shirt. "You ain't going anywhere you thief!" The shop assistant drags me back and shoves me in the back of the store. It a dark room with no exits. I messed up. I hear him calling the police, which I think is a bit much considering I'm just a kid...well 15 in a few weeks but still just a kid.

The LAPD arrive and a large cop comes and questions me. He was pretty intimidating since he wore sunglasses and never seemed to take them off...even inside. Which meant I couldn't make eye contact or see his eyes.

"Name" the officer asked.

"Harry Tay- Butler"

"Why did you change your name halfway through?" He seemed suspicious

"Well I'm originally from England and I was adopted by the Butler family. My old name is Taylor" I try to explain, extremely nervous.

"Look kid I don't need to hear your life story, why did you do it."

"I'd just met some new people, I knew they were suspicious. They told me to rob a skateboard with them so I could skate with them too. But to be honest I think they would of just taken it from me."

"I'm going to have to call your legal guardians to pick you up"

"No please, I'm begging you. I need to make good impressions to them." I pleaded.

The cop took off his glasses for the first time and spoke to me directly.

"Look kid, I know you probably were peer pressured into this. I'm not going to record it but I will have to tell your guardians. You created at least $50 in damage to the shop. Now please give me to he contact details of your guardians else I will put this on a record. Do you know how hard it is to get a job with a criminal record?"

"Yes sir" I say, shaking. I pass him the tatty Nokia phone and show him the number of Shays mobile. I know he won't be happy about what I've done, I'm not happy about what I've done. I probably shouldn't of trusted them at all.

I hear Shays truck pull up out front. The door makes a louder noise than usual. He slammed it. I think he may be a little pee'd off with me.