𝟒.𝟏𝟕

───「WE'LL SAVE OURSELVES」───

     It was hard, knowing I had to leave people behind

     It was hard, knowing I had to leave people behind. I didn't like it, but I knew it was their choice, even if those people were my friends. I had made a final swoop of Sam and I's room, looking for anything she might have left behind when she went to the lab, only finding a small blade. I took it with me, keeping it on the inside pocket of my jacket, close to my heart. Sure, it was corny, but it made me feel closer to her. I'm coming, Sam. We're surviving. Together.

- "Remember, it's not black rain but it can turn at any moment." –I stood in the middle of the hallway as everyone started to leave- "So keep the person with your assigned chem tent in sight at all times."

- "No one but us saves ourselves." –Jaha nodded at me and moved outside- "We ourselves must walk the path."

I stood behind, waiting for everyone to make it out when Harper and Jasper walked up to me from one of the hallways.

- "Not too late to change your mind."

- "Yes, it is." –Jasper answered- "You can still stay, you know?"

- "I'm not a quitter."

- "Is that the only reason?" –he rose an eyebrow at me; we all knew it wasn't.

- "I'm going with Sam." –he chuckled and nodded- "What am I going to tell her?" -I sighed, tilting my head to the side and raising my eyes to look at him.

- "She'll understand."

- "It's going to break her heart."

- "I'm counting on you to keep her sane now."

- "It took the end of the world for you to trust me with Sam, huh?" –I couldn't help but smile.

- "Well, I still don't get what she sees in you." –he shrugged his shoulders but I knew he was just playing- "I hope you'll find a way to live, she deserves it more than any of you going into that place."

What he was saying was true, and I knew it wasn't an attack on me. Jasper and Sam had hit it off probably even before I considered Sam an ally. They had been close through all of our time on Earth, Sam always looking out for Jasper, even when she should've never forced that responsibility onto herself. For a second, I was glad Sam wasn't there because I could see her staying behind with Jasper not to leave him alone.

- "Where's Monty?" –Harper questioned looking around me.

- "Unloading the Rover. We're leaving it behind for you, by the way." –I saw the sadness in her eyes- "He didn't say goodbye?"

- "No..." –she shook her head, I could tell she was trying to hold back the tears- "You and Sam... take care of him, will you?"

- "We will."