4

Sarayah P.O.V. July 5, 2016
The next thing I knew, I was being shaken awake. I looked up into a pair of green eyes. I started a bit before realizing where I was. The events of last night flooded my memory. I was in jail. Actual jail. I had slept on the floor of a jail cell. I had the back pain to prove it. I rubbed my back wearily. I was still so tired.

"Hey hon, it's time to go." It was the nice guard from last night.

"It's morning already?" I asked, confused.

"No, but someone's here to pick you up. I guess your mama woke up, lucky you."

A wave of relief washed over me. I was getting out. My mama was here. Everything was fine. Well, I was definitely gonna get an ass whooping for the ages, but I wouldn't be in jail.

I smiled, getting up. "Thank you..." I read her name tag. "...Officer Garron."

She smiled and nodded. "You're welcome, Sarayah. Now stay out of trouble. I don't wanna see you back here."

I nodded enthusiastically. "Don't worry, I'm never coming back here. My mama will make sure of that. I'll be lucky if I survive the night. Pray for me."

She chuckled and handed me off to another guard. He smiled at her, a little too friendly to be innocent, and she blushed. I looked him over. Tall, muscular, chocolatey brown skin. I looked at his name tag. Officer Jones.

"Okay, Officer Jones. I see you." I mumbled under my breath.

He took over, leading me down a series of hallways. I walked with a bounce in my step, ready to taste freedom. He stopped suddenly in front of a door. I scrunched up my face. Why wasn't he leading me to the front of the building?

He opened the door, revealing a white woman in a crisp, grey pantsuit standing by a steel table. Her mousy brown hair fell limply around her shoulders. She was anxiously shifting from foot to foot. When she heard the door open, she looked over at us and smiled nervously.

"Hi, you must be...Sarayah." She said, holding her hand out for me to shake.

Creepy. I ignored her and turned back towards Officer Jones.

"Where's my mama?"

He shrugged. "Do I look like I know your mama? This woman bailed you out."

I frowned. Well fuck you too, Officer Jones.

"Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but you really just gon' leave me with a whole ass stranger?"

He shrugged. The woman must not have gotten the hint that I was not interested in what she had to say because she walked up to us, hand still extended as if now, suddenly, I would want a handshake. Please. I don't know you, pantsuit. If there was one thing Mama taught me, it was beware of friendly people in suits. Nothing good would come from talking to them. She was probably just trying to get me to snitch or something. Or maybe she was one of them child protective people who would take me away from my mama and put me with a bunch of randos. Either way, whatever she was selling I was not buying.

Sensing my animosity, she lowered her hand. Finally. "Right. I'm sure this is all very confusing for you. Maybe you should sit down." She gestured to a chair.

I studied her skeptically. Maybe I could get some answers out of her. "Who are you, and where is my mama?" I demanded, my southern accent taking full force.

She cleared her throat and sat down. She waited patiently until I sat down. I glared at her from across the table. Something wasn't right. I could feel it in my bones.

"Your mother is on her way."

I sagged with relief. Thank God. If they were bringing my mama, then this woman definitely wasn't child protective services. So, I could rule out being taken away. She didn't seem like a cop though. Too twitchy and nervous. So, she probably didn't want me to snitch. I was at a loss. I had no idea who she was.