67

Nevaeh December 14, 2016
I took a long pull from the blunt Kai had rolled me. The smoke invaded my lungs, quieting the noise in my mind. Normally, I wouldn't be smoking with Kai. I only really bothered on special occasions. But, shit I needed this. Lying on the bed, sinking into the pillows with my senses dulled, I could almost forget.

"Vaeh," Kai called, pulling me out of my pleasant daze.

"Hm?" I grunted, not even bothering to look up at him.

"Your phone."

I turned my head slightly in his direction, my ears slowly registering the familiar sound of my ringtone. It took another second for my eyes to find my phone. It was sitting on the desk between me and Kai, who was leaned back in his chair, blowing circles into the air.

I couldn't see my phone screen, but I had a good idea who was calling. I took another pull and ignored it, turning back to the ceiling. Hopefully, if I ignored her phone calls too, she'd get the point.

"Nevaeh," Kai called again.

"Ignore it," I mumbled, more to myself than him.

"Just answer. The person keeps calling. It's annoying. Why–" He paused. "Wait. Is it Sarayah?"

I stayed silent, staring up at the ceiling.

"It is, isn't it?"

I heard Kai start to move. I immediately sat up and tossed the blunt in the ashtray, knowing exactly what shit he was about to pull. As soon as his fingers enclosed around my phone, I was on him.

"Ay yo. What the fuck!" He yelled, trying to pull his hand out of my grasp. "The fuck is wrong with you, man? Let go!"

"The fuck is wrong with you?" I snapped back. "This ain't your damn phone, Mekhi!"

"So, who cares? You weren't answering it anyway!"

"Yeah," I agreed, finally yanking the phone out of his hand. "And that was on purpose, nigga."

I walked back over to the bed, sprawling out again.

He kissed his teeth. "You're acting like a bitch."

I laughed humorously. "Funny. I was about to say the same thing about you."

"I think it's funny how you have so much to say to me, but nothing to say to the girl you–"

"You know what, Kai," I said loudly, interrupting him. "I'm finding it really hard to see how this is any of your business."

"Yeah? Okay, I'll tell you. You know I don't like to get involved in you and Ray's thing–"

I shot a look at him. "Doesn't seem like it."

"But this shit right here?" He continued, unfazed. "What you're doing? It involves me. Sarayah might be your wannabe girlfriend or whatever, but she's my friend. And the way you're treating her is fucked up."

"I'm not treating her any kinda way," I joked, forcing out a laugh.

"You think this is funny?" Kai asked, getting in my face. "You know Sarayah called me crying the other day, asking me what she did wrong?"

I pulled from the blunt again, trying to block him out.

"You fly out to New York to see her, have a great weekend and then just drop her. For no apparent reason."

I sighed. "I have my reasons–"

"And what are they? I wanna know because she's come up with her own, and none of them are good."