12

Jay July 5, 2016
When we got to the front door, I looked down at Blue. She was clutching her favorite barbie to her chest, impatiently waiting for me to let her inside. I bit my lip nervously. I didn't think Sarayah would purposely be mean to Blue. In fact, meeting Blue seemed to be the only thing Sarayah was genuinely excited about, but that didn't mean she couldn't accidentally hurt Blue's feelings. I had to prepare Blue. I knelt in front of her. She looked up at me, smiling.

"Remember when Daddy told you why Mommy gets sad sometimes?" I asked.

Blue scrunched her eyebrows together. "Cause someone took my sister away a long time ago?"

I nodded smiling. "Well, yesterday we got some really good news. The police found August, your sister. That's why you slept over at Nana's house. Mommy and I had to go pick her up."

Blue's eyes lit up in excitement. "She's here? I get to see her?"

I nodded. "Yes, you do."

She looked towards the door in wonder. I gently held her chin, making her look at me.

"Okay, now this is important, Blue. August likes to be called 'Sarayah'."

She scrunched her face up in confusion. "But you called her August."

I nodded. "Yeah, that's because 'August' is the name we gave her, but she likes to be called 'Sarayah'."

"I don't get it," she said shaking her head.

I chuckled. "Just think of it as a nickname."

She made another face. "I don't know. 'Sarayah' doesn't sound like 'August'. How is it a nickname? And it's longer too. I don't get it. Is it her middle name?"

I laughed, shaking my head. Blue was never one to blindly accept...well, anything really. Normally I would spend time trying to get her to understand, but this was a topic I needed to discuss with Bey first. I didn't want to rush in and end up saying something stupid.

I stood up, dusting my pants off. "It doesn't need to make sense, Blue. It's just what she likes. Now are you ready to see her?"

She nodded, and I smiled back, unlocking the door. I pushed it open, letting her walk in first.

"Bey! Sarayah! We're hooooome!" I sang off-key.

Blue giggled at my horrible singing. "Yeah, we're hoooooome."

Beyoncé came down the stairs, grinning from ear to ear. She knelt on the ground with her arms open.

"BLUUEEEEE!" She yelled.

"MOMMY!" Blue yelled back, loving their little routine.

Blue sprinted into her arms as if she hadn't seen her in years. Bey picked her up and spun her in a circle.

I looked at Bey, taking note of her puffy red eyes. Knowing her, she'd probably tried talking to Sarayah again. I caught her eye, and she shook her head tiredly.

"I called my mama to give her the news, and Solange overheard. They'll be here by 6:00 pm." She informed me, still smiling for Blue's sake.

"Aunty Solo and Grandma are coming?" Blue asked, her eyes wide.

"Yes, they are." Beyoncé replied, trying to match her joyful tone. We connected eyes, and she let out a small sigh.

I gave her a sympathetic look. "She didn't take it well."

She hugged Blue tighter. "No, she did not."

Blue squirmed in her arms. "Too tight, Mommy."

Bey smiled. "Sorry, baby."