9

Jay July 5, 2016
I watched as Bey ran down the stairs. My gaze darted between her and the open window as I tried to decide whether I should follow her or check on our daughter. I turned towards the two police officers who were with me.

"It's just Sarayah in there. There's no danger. Let me talk to her before you guys go in."

They looked at each other. I could tell they were about to say no, so I continued.

"If you just storm in, she's going to get more angry and less compliant. You're going to need her help for the investigation so take this opportunity to foster some trust and let me go in first."

Another look. I grit my teeth together.

"You know what, I tried to be nice. I tried to reason with y'all, but that's my daughter in there, and I'm gonna do what's best for her. So, you wait out here until we are ready for you." With that, I stepped through the window.

Sarayah was standing in the middle of the kitchen, fists clenched at her side. Her back was facing me but when she heard me enter, she turned around to look at me, nostrils flaring. I immediately put up my hand.

"Nah. You may have been able to pull that huff and puff shit with Bey, but you gon learn right now, that shit won't fly with me. I don't care how upset you are. I am still your father, not one of your little friends."

She scrunched up her face in disgust. "You ain't my father. You're just some random dude I met today."

"I am your father. Half that DNA you got? MINE. Them big ass lips you using to run your mouth? MINE."

She frowned and glanced down, touching her lips self-consciously. I almost cracked, she looked so much like Bey with that expression, but I held it together. Truth is, Bey had always been the strict one. I'd always been more laid back, but with Bey losing it, I knew I had to step up. No laughing, no smiling. I meant business.

"Listen, little girl. You are my child. I'm not gonna try to force you to like me, but you will treat me with respect. Me and Beyoncé."

She looked back up at me and opened her mouth to object, but I cut her off.

"That was not a request, Sarayah." I said, adding a little bass to my voice.

Her composure shifted. She studied me for a moment before she looked down and nodded. I almost smiled. I guess Isobel was right. She really was a good kid. She had an attitude on her, but at the end of the day she knew how to be obedient. Good.

"Oh, and we're gonna talk about that little stunt you pulled later. Don't think you're off the hook. Isobel has spent the last 11 years trying to help you. She didn't deserve to be treated like that. No one deserves that."

She looked up at me anxiously. "I really am sorry. I'm not even violent like that. I was just–"

She sighed. "How is she?"

I studied her for a few moments: eyebrows furrowed, hazel eyes glittering, twiddling her fingers. She honestly seemed sorry.

"She might have a concussion or something because for some reason, she's still defending your delinquent ass."

She nodded, sadly looking down.

"But she'll be aight," I admitted grudgingly, watching as she sagged with relief.

"You owe her a huge apology. You better thank her too because she's not pressing charges."

She nodded again. I looked around, taking in the apartment. I scrunched up my face. This place needed a good fire. There was no saving it. I couldn't believe Sarayah had been living in that roach motel.

"On the plus side, it's a good thing we're here. It'll give you the chance to pack and say goodbye. You're gonna be staying with Beyoncé and I from now."

Sarayah closed her eyes and a tear slid down her cheek. Her bottom lip quivered. She took a deep breath, nodded and turned her back on me, walking into the bedroom. A few seconds later, I heard things being shuffled around. Five minutes later, she exited the room holding a small, black duffle bag. She had a confused expression. She looked around the room, searching for something.

I raised my eyebrow. "Lose something?"

She scratched her head, distracted. "Yeah, I don't want to leave without hi–"

She paused blushing. "It." She finished.

I blinked at her. "Sorry Sarayah, but we don't have time for this. This is a crime scene. The police need to get in here as soon as possible. Whatever you lost, we can buy you a hundred more."

Sarayah sneered at me, disgusted. "You can't replace everything with money, Jay-Z."

She pushed past me and stepped out onto the fire escape. I shrugged and joined her. When we got to the bottom of the stairs, she paused and leaned against the wall. I stood, waiting for her to keep moving.

"So, the car's right around the corner, if you just keep walking," I said, pointing forward.

Her eyes were shut, but tears were still leaking through her closed lids.

"Where are you gonna take me?" She whispered hoarsely.

I sighed. "Why are you acting like we're the ones kidnapping you?"

She looked up at me. "Cause that's what it feels like."

"Well that's not what it is."

She folded her arms and turned away. We stood in silence for a few minutes. She was looking around as if memorizing her surroundings. I heard her give a deep sigh.

I leaned against the wall. "It's hard leaving what you know behind, but I promise we're not that bad."

She continued to avoid eye contact.

"And I know money can't buy everything. I'm not stupid. I'm just trying to make you feel comfortable. If my jokes aren't helping, I'll stop."

She bit the inside of her lip. "It's okay."

I nodded. "Okay. And to answer your question, we're taking you to our home in New York. You'll have your own room, with clothes–"

"I already have clothes," she muttered tiredly.

"Better clothes." I joked, and I swear I saw her lip twitch. She hid it immediately, frowning.

I grinned triumphantly. So she didn't hate my humor. Perfect. That would be my way in. She wouldn't be able to shut me out forever.

"Will Blue be there?" She asked, so softly I almost didn't hear her.

I blinked, a little surprised. "Not when we get there. I'll have to pick her up from your nana's house, but yeah. You're gonna have to get used to having a little sister."

This time she didn't hide her smile.