16

Sarayah  July 6, 2016
I grabbed onto her hand, desperately trying to keep her from leaving. She pried my hands off hers, giving me a stern look.

“Sarayah. What is wrong with you? You always love staying by Uncle Chris. What’s your problem today?”

“She’s probably just tired.” Uncle Chris said, giving her one of his charming smiles. They used to fill me with comfort. Now they sent a shiver of terror down my spine.

He shut the door and turned to me. I shook, unable to move. I was paralyzed by fear.

“Sarayah, what did I tell you yesterday? We’re special friends now.”

He crouched down in front of me. “But just now, you were acting kinda mean.”
I started hyperventilating. He smiled, and I flinched.

“What are you going to do to make it up to me?”

I shot up in bed, clutching my sheets to my chest. I whipped my head around, sure that he was going to pop up. I looked to my left and saw Solo sleeping peacefully beside me. I took a deep breath. I told myself that I was far away from that creep, but I could still feel remnants of the fear I felt in my nightmare. I grabbed my phone and crept out of my room. As I tiptoed to the stairs, I paused, looking at Blue’s room. I thought for a second before slipping in.

She was sound asleep. I crouched down beside her, willing myself to feel the peace that she felt. She was so innocent, as she should’ve been. As I should’ve been. Suddenly I felt dirty and out of place. I blinked back tears, standing up. I quietly left her room, walking to the kitchen.

I warmed up a glass of milk and sat on the counter, trying to calm myself down. I checked the time. 2:54 am. It was so late, but I needed to talk to someone. I felt like I was heading towards another breakdown. I went to my contacts and clicked on Vaeh. After a few rings she picked up.

“…Ray?”

I smiled at her groggy voice. “Yeah, sorry for waking you up.”

I could hear her sitting up. “Nah, it’s cool. You know you can always call me. Another nightmare?”

“Yeah,” I whispered, playing with the hem of my shirt.

“Want me to come ove…Oh yeah. Never mind. I can stay on the line though, until you’re good.”

I smiled. “Thanks.”

The line went silent for a minute. “So, how is it up there? Beyoncé is your mama. That’s crazy. You do look like her though. Got that ass.”

I laughed. “Shut up.”

“You know it’s true, and you love it. Talk about a rags-to-riches story. Kai is beside himself with jealousy. Won’t stop bitching and moaning about our ‘peasant’ lifestyle.”

I giggled. “I can imagine.”

I took a deep breath, thinking about everything that had happened.

“Honestly, these people aren’t so bad. I like most of them. I miss my life though.” I shook my head, sadly. “I just don’t fit here. I don’t belong.”

Nevaeh chuckled. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but you didn’t exactly fit in here. You were twice as smart as everyone, and I’m not just talking book smart.”

I made a disbelieving sound. “Okay.”

“No, I’m serious. People here think about the present, but you always thought ahead. I mean, you’ve been through so much, yet you’re still the most well-adjusted person I know. If that doesn’t tell you how messed up it is down here, then I don’t know what will.”