62

Sarayah  December 2, 2016
"Come on. One more!" Ryan yelled at me. "One more and you're done!"

I grimaced. Sweat rolled down my forehead, stinging my eyes. My quadriceps strained against the increased weight that Ryan had put on the leg-press machine for my last day. All the while, Ryan stared down at me, her muscles tight as if she was the one being destroyed by her relentless exercises.

"You said I'd be done five 'one more's ago!" I complained, my muscles shaking in protest. "I don't believe you anymore!"

"Believe me or don't believe me, honey. But your ass isn't getting up until you do one more, SO ONE MORE!"

A bead of sweat traced the outline of my face as I gave one final push, heaving the weight back into place. Before Ryan could say 'one more' one more time, I quickly locked the weight in with a lever at my side, letting out a puff of air in relief when it clanked. I sat up and reached over to grab for my water. My body involuntarily slumped forward as I limply held the bottle between my outstretched legs. I'd used up all my energy on that final push. I was completely drained.

"Good job, Ray Ray," Ryan cheered, beaming at me. She gave me a hard slap on my back, damn near knocking me to the floor.

I swiped a loose lock of hair out of my face before returning her smile. "Thanks. You didn't make it easy."

"What good would that do you?" She answered, still grinning.

I shook my head, taking a long swig of water. I kept my eyes on her as she dragged a stool away from the wall and plopped herself in front of me.

"So," Ryan began in a singsong voice.

I rolled my eyes. "What?"

"It's your last day," she prodded.

I nodded slowly. "Yup." She pouted, making me smile. "Don't even start, Ry."

She pushed my shoulder none too gently. "Don't be mean! You know I'm gonna miss my little Ray Ray."

"I'm not gonna miss that nickname," I laughed.

"My little crippled girl," she teased, ignoring me.

"I can walk just fine now, and I've been doing it for weeks."

She sighed. "I know, but you'll always be Crip Walking in my heart."

I kissed my teeth and rolled my eyes, pausing when I caught sight of Madelyn lurking in the doorway. She pointed impatiently at her wrist, signalling that it was time for dinner. I sighed, looking back at Ryan.

"Well, time to go," I announced, slapping my thighs as I stood up.

As soon as my butt was off the seat, Ryan was pulling me into a bone-crushing hug. And I do mean bone-crushing. That woman's muscles were nothing to play around with.

"Be good out there, okay? And don't forget to do your pulses," she advised, still holding me tight. "I'll know if you don't and then I'll come beat your ass."

I laughed, blinking tears away. "Okay, Ry. I'll do 'em."

I gave her a final squeeze before letting go. As I turned to walk away, Ryan gave me a hard smack on my ass, making me yelp.

"That's inappropriate," I called over my shoulder.

Ryan shrugged, smiling cheekily. "That's me."

Maddy looped her arm through mine, leading us to the dining hall.

"Ryan never does that with me."

I smirked. "Because she doesn't like you."

Maddy feigned a hurt look. "You're such an asshole. I can't believe you're leaving before me." She sighed, shaking her head. "I should've planted drugs in your room."