68

Sarayah   December 17, 2016
I slammed the couch pillow down on Kai's face repeatedly. After making me chase him around for 10 minutes, he was finally getting what he deserved. He really should've just let me catch him right away because now I wasn't feeling particularly merciful.

When he tried to take cover beneath his skinny arms, I pushed the pillow further down, trying to suffocate him. He called for help, but I ignored his muffled screams, pushing harder.

"Sarayah!" A clear voice rang out.

I casually looked up to see my family in the doorway, taking their shoes off. I blinked, still pushing my weight onto the pillow.

Mama looked down at the body trapped beneath me. "Is that Kai?"

"No," I said solemnly. "It was Kai."

She rolled her eyes, walking to the kitchen. "Let him go, Sarayah."

I clenched my fist dramatically. "But he broke. My. Heart."

"Sarayah." She warned. "That's enough."

"Lame," I muttered. I sat up so I was straddling his midsection. "You're lucky," I whispered in his ear before standing up.

Blue hurried over to us, clutching at my leg. Her eyes wide. "Did you really kill him?"

I chuckled. "Nah, he's just being dramatic."

Blue looked up at me, then at his still body. "He looks dead."

Julez came over and propped his arms up on the couch's armrest, leaning his head down to peer at Kai.

"Maybe he is dead," Julez mused.

Blue gasped. "Oh no!" She walked over to his head, her face a mask of devastation. She stood still for a moment before winding her hand back and slapping him right across his face.

Kai sat bolt upright, holding his red cheek. "AH! WHY?"

Julez and I looked at each other before roaring with laughter.

"Sarayah!" Mama called from the kitchen. "You better not be out there slapping people! Especially after I just told you to stop all that nonsense!"

"You're looking at the wrong kid, Mama," I evaded, still laughing at Kai's shocked face. "That was all baby Blue."

"Blue!" Mama called.

Blue's eyes widened in protest. "I was just trying to help!"

"Blue! Don't make me call you again!"

Blue threw a small fit but stomped her way to the kitchen.

Kai shook his head at me. "That should've been you."

I shrugged, plopping down on the couch beside him. "Maybe. Maybe not."

Kai punched my arm. Julez retaliated immediately, punching Kai's other arm. Kai looked over at him in confusion. "And who the fuck are you?"

I smiled. "Right, introductions. Kai, this is Julez, my favorite cousin. Favorite cousin Julez, this is my best friend Kai."

"Hi Julez," Kai grumbled, rubbing his arm. "That still doesn't explain why the little nigga hit me."

I punched him in his other shoulder. "Loyalty. That's why. You could learn from him."

Kai rolled his eyes, groaning. "You're still on that? You chased me around for like 15 minutes already. And you almost killed me. Isn't that enough?" He smirked. "Plus. I was being loyal." He snuck a look at me. "To Vaeh."