34

Beyoncé  August 5th, 2016
I playfully glared at Sarayah as I stalked across the room towards her. I shook my fist at her for emphasis, causing her to erupt into a fit of giggles. So cute. I concealed my smile with an exaggerated scowl. I broke into a run. I was almost within arms reach of the gate when everything went to shit.

"BEYONCÉ'S ON THE BUMPER CARS!"

I immediately tensed up, freezing. Sarayah looked at me, worried. I tried to play it off like it wasn't me, but it was too late. I'd been spotted. In a matter of seconds, they swarmed me. I couldn't see Sarayah. Julius ran towards me, but I wasn't concerned about what might happen to me, not when my daughter was out of sight, out of reach. I stood on my toes just in time to see Sarayah get pulled backwards. My eyes widened.

"SARAYAH!" I turned to Julius, eyes frantic. "JULIUS, GO GET SARAYAH!" I yelled, struggling to make myself heard over all the screaming.

He looked back at me helplessly as he tried to push the people away from us. I could practically see him warring with himself. He wanted to protect me first, but we didn't have time for that. I was gonna lose her.

"SHE'S TAKING HER AWAY!"

My breathing picked up. This could not happen again. Not to me. This was not going to happen to me again. I could only take so much.

"GET BACK! I NEED TO GET THROUGH! PLEASE MOVE!" I screamed, tears blurring my vision. A few people moved, seeing my desperation. I took the opportunity to make a little bit of headway.

"GET OUT OF MY WAY! MOVE!" I shoved past people with their phones up, gleefully recording the worst moments of my life. "SARAYAH!"

I finally pushed through the crowd and ran around the corner. There was no one there. All the air left my lungs. She was gone. My head swam as darkness edged the sides of my vision. I stumbled forward, her name still on my lips, before falling to the ground, unconscious.

...

One Month Later

Beyoncé September 12th, 2016
I stared into the bathroom mirror, loathing the sight that greeted me. I looked about as awful as I felt. My bloodshot eyes rested heavily above my now permanent bags, prominent from countless sleepless nights. My hair, once luscious was now matted to my head. I couldn't remember the last time I'd washed it. I snarled at my reflection before I opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out a small bottle of pills. I took the lid off, shaking two pills into my hand. I turned the tap on, filling the empty glass I kept on my counter. I shut off the tap and popped the pills in my mouth, swallowing them with a gulp of water.

Someone knocked on the door. I ignored it, putting the pills back in the cabinet. I placed a pack of facial wipes in front of them, effectively concealing their presence before closing the mirror. The knocking became more insistent, verging on pounding.

"Beyoncé! Open the door. I know you hear me."

I rolled my eyes, turning to open the door. Jay was on the other side, hands braced on either side of the frame. He stared down at me, eyes narrowed.

"What were you doing in there?" He asked, voice laced with suspicion.

I pushed past him roughly, walking over to the bed. "Taking a shit. What's it matter to you nigga?"

He glared at me. "You know why it matters to me."

I glared right back at him. "Actually, I don't. I really don't, because as I recall, I kicked your cheating ass to the curb a month ago. So again, I ask, what's it matter to you?"

He shook his head as if I was the one irritating him. "You know damn well why I care about what you do. You still have a daughter here who has to witness your self-destructive behavior."