22

Sarayah July 27, 2016
I groaned angrily, trying unsuccessfully, to swat away the hands shaking me awake. I opened my eyes and glared up at Jay. He placed an open suitcase at the foot of my bed. That got my attention. I slowly sat up, watching him apprehensively.

He pointed down at it. "Pack some clothes. Be ready to get out of here in an hour. Don't leave anything important, 'cause I'm not letting you come back to get it."

I stared at the suitcase in shock. Numbness was spreading through my body. "You're...kicking me out."

He looked at me like I was crazy. "What? No! Why would you even think that?"

I let out a heavy breath, my relief surprising me. I leaned back on my headboard, feeling lightheaded.

"Why would you think that?" He repeated, still staring at me.

"Huh?" I looked up at him, realizing the question wasn't rhetorical. "Oh."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused by his confusion. "Well, I'm not stupid. I don't get along with Beyoncé at all, and that's your wife. I thought maybe you wanted to cut your losses and send me away."

He frowned. "You're my daughter, and I love you. I would never send you away. NEVER. No matter how bad things may get. Do you understand me?"

I nodded, taken aback by his seriousness. "Ye–yeah, sure."

"Good," he said, still visibly disturbed by my answer.

I nudged the suitcase with my leg, trying to break the tension. "So, if you're not kicking me to the curb, what are you doing? What am I supposed to be packing for?"

He sighed, exasperated. "So many questions. It's supposed to be a surprise. All you need to know is that we're going on a family trip–"

"As in, with Beyoncé? Do you really think that's a good idea? I should just stay home."

"I don't remember giving you an option, Sarayah. I said, pack your stuff because we're going on a family trip. So do that. And don't worry about getting all made up with your lipstick and your hair and your glue. You're gonna be on a jet for the next few hours. Nobody's gonna be seeing you but us, so chop chop."

I raised my eyebrow, but he just walked out, closing the door behind him. I shrugged and started packing. I didn't know where we were going, but there was no way he was bringing us somewhere cold, so I only packed summer clothes. Plus, I didn't have any winter clothes, so there was that.

10 minutes later I was packed and ready to go. I lugged my suitcase downstairs and sat at the kitchen table. I made myself a bowl of cereal and waited for everyone else to finish. 20 minutes later, Jay walked downstairs with Blue clinging to his back. He looked at me in surprise. I smiled up at him.

"Nice of you to join us," I commented sardonically.

He frowned, looking around. "Us?"

I nodded earnestly. "I've been waiting so long I've gone crazy. I have like 12 imaginary friends now."

Blue slid off his back and ran up to me. I pulled her into my lap, kissing her cheek. She looked around curiously.

"Where are they?"

I leaned in close. "They're right...HERE!" I tickled her, and she squirmed in my lap, laughing. I smiled, hugging her close to me.

Jay pulled out two bowls from the cupboard and poured milk for him and Blue.

"Honestly, I'm surprised you got ready so quick. I half expected you to still be in bed. The other half of me was expecting to find you in front of a mirror putting on makeup."