Chapter 8

(Alexandria's POV)

The voice is not familiar, but when I turn to look at him I remember his face.

"Who are you?" "I'm Dave" he says briefly before offering to help me up.

He was at warped tour, he's in Bennett's band. If he's here and he doesn't know me, then that must mean they're all here.

"I-I have to go." I try to make a run for it but he's got a firm grip on my hand.

"No you don't. What you need to do is stop running away from everything. Let's go. We need to get out of the rain."

I lead him to the cafe around the corner. I offer to buy him something to drink but he scolds me and says he'll buy them...something about being a jerk if he let's me pay.

"You don't seem to like me very much" "You haven't given me a reason to like you" he stares at me darkly, his eyes are full of anger yet they look happy somehow.

"I don't even know where to start with you. First you've got Benn moaping around like a damn baby and now you've got my friends running around this state looking for you. Whatever it is that you're running from needs to stop, now. Is it really so hard to understand that people care about you? I don't know the whole story, and neither do my friends...so start talking."

He's so cold that it makes me start to cry. I want to hide in a ditch and die there with all my shame. He sees right through me and I don't like that.

"Well?"

"I was dying. I had cancer. The doctors in my town said they couldn't do anything for me, that I was to die within two months. I didn't care that I was going to die, I just didnt want everyone to watch me die. I thought they would be better without me so I left."

His demeanour has softened, I think he understands me now.

"Why didn't you go back after you were treated?"

"I looked up my disappearance and saw that I was declared dead. If i'd gone back, it would have been a crime." Silence usually isn't a good thing, but in this moment I appreciate it greatly.

"What about Benn?"

"He is and always will be the keeper of my heart and soul. I love him more than anything in the world. I know I've caused him a ton of pain, but I thought watching me die would be much more painful."

"It's not all about you. I get it you were dying but imagine how everyone felt not knowing if you were alive or not?" That I dont need to answer. All these years I've wondered about them and how they were doing, I can imagine they thought of me as well.

The doors to the cafe burst open, the small bell rings as if it's ready to break and one after the other Andy, Brandon, Hayden and Brent rush over to where we are.

I lower my head, trying not to look at them so that I don't lose my wits, but when Andy pulls me out of my seat and into his arms, I start to sob.

"Never leave us ever again, Lex. I'm not fucking joking!" His voice cracks slightly at the end and I tighten my arms around him.

I'd missed them all so much. Being this close to them after nearly four years is overwhelming in a good way.

"C-Come here" Brandon mumbles. I move into his arms, smiling at his still noticable stutter.

I then move on to hug Hayden and Brent. It feels so nice to be in their arms again.

They feel like home.

______________________

"You live in this shit hole?"

I blush. It's not as bad as they think it is "Yes. It's reallly not bad at all. Easy access to the city."

"It's not the ideal place. It doesn't even look safe, Lex." Hayden frowns as he looks around the room.

"It's not bad for a runaway. How'd you score this?"

"The old man that owns this place gave to me when he saw me at the hospital."

I toss myself onto my bed and Brandon follows shortly after.

"I'm just happy you're okay. We spent all this time trying to find out and now we know. Never in a million years did I think it would be that bad."

I give him a reassuring smile, quickly cuddling up to him when the lightning strikes.

"You're coming home with us, right?" "You should. You can fix things with Benn and you can see your parents and you can be with us. It's okay to come home now, Alexandria." For a second I question leaving here but no part of me has any desire to stay.

"I want to go home."

I don't want to be alone anymore and because of them, I don't have to be.

(Benn's POV)

I don't know why but I decided to move on like the guys told me to. She keeps running away and i'm tired of waiting.

Before Alexandria came along, I had a huge crush on Ember, one of the more popular girls in school. And when she messaged me and asked to hang out I said yes.

Since I got home, we've spent an entire week together. I've got nothing better to do since the guys all went to who knows where.

"Benn...you keep zoning out, cutie! Are you okay?" I look at her and smile "Yeah. I'm alright, just thinking about how great we are together."

"You think so?"

"Come on, Em. I know so. You're perfect in every way." I grab he hands and wrap her arms around my waist, pulling her closer to me.

Part of me wants to push her away, to pretend this never happened and keep waiting for Alexandria to show up but the other part of me knows that she's not coming back and wants nothing to do with me.

I lower my head so that my lips meet hers, and I kiss her as softly as I can.

I can hear someone banging on my door, calling my name, but my heartbeat drowns the noise.

Ember climbs on top of me and slides her hands up my shirt. Her touch is not the one I crave, but my body accepts it anyway.

I forgot what it feels like to love someone and be in their arms.

My door finally opens and I hear a faint gasp.

When I look up, I think my mind is playing tricks on me. That she's just an illusion, a ghost. Ember turns and looks in the same direction, shaking her head and smiling.

"Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

And that's when I know my winter girl has finally come home.

Sorry that took me so long. Until the next one! Much love -NMScare ♡