chapter || 47

Alex

"I always knew there was something off about that asshole." Ethan shook his head angrily. We walked to my locker I leaned against it.

"Well, Alex is way too nice and of course befriended him immediately." Grayson teased me from beside Ethan.

"Well, that morning when he said he was the new kid and all that I felt bad, okay?" I rolled my eyes at their teasing. Yes, I'm too nice to some people, that's just how I am. I can't help it.

"Wait, this all makes sense now." I began to piece things together. "What do you mean?" Ethan asked looking at me weirdly.

"Think about it. as soon as Hagen got into town, all this began to happen. He had to have been the one that placed the dead rose in my locker, the arrow in my tire, and the picture on my bed. Days before it happened I had texted him, it's not exactly difficult to find someone's location." I continued. "Larce said Hagen told him how good I was with the bow, he was the one watching me that day." I continued. 

"So he's the one that did all that to you?" Ethan stood up straighter. He had anger radiating off of him. "I am going to beat the mortel out of him when I see him next." I looked down and saw Ethan's hands tense.

"I think you're about to get your chance." Grayson pointed to Hagen walking in my direction. Jesus, do I ever get a break?

"Ethan it isn't worth it. Seriously, this will complicate things." I stopped him by grabbing his arm. "Let him, Alex, the guy deserves it." Grayson looked amused. I scolded him with my eyes but he just gave me an innocent look back. 

"He is trained and in a gang, if you fight him, I guarantee you'll be the one hurt," I explained putting more pressure on Ethan's arm.

Hagen was now about a foot from reaching me, whatever he had to say he better make it quick. "Hey, Alex," Hagen spoke to me calmly. I am now confused as hell by his tone of voice.

I'm still holding onto Ethan's arm, but Hagen is standing in front of me, so Ethan would have to put in a lot of effort to get to him.

"What Hagen?" I asked in a tone opposite of his. "I know you know I'm in the gang now, I just wanted you to know that I did what I was told to do. I didn't have a choice, I never meant to do anything to hurt you," He apologized in the same soft tone.

I went to speak, but I heard Grayson bust out laughing behind me. I immediately rolled my eyes and turned around, I gave him the death glare. "What? Alex, do you actually believe this clown?" Grayson cracked up more as he pointed between Hagen and I. 

Ethan's face was far from a smile. "Look, Hagen, I know the whole gang code thing. That doesn't make a difference. We aren't friends anymore, and I think its best if you stay away from me." I looked directly at him.

I felt bad, I know I shouldn't. I know what they would risk if they didn't do what larce says. I know they don't have a choice, but I can't keep forgiving people.

"Yeah, I get it." He tried to force a smile at me. He turned to walk in the other direction, and I finally relaxed.

"Hey, asshat," Ethan spoke up making Hagen turn around. As soon as Hagen's cheek turned, Ethan's fist collided with it.

Hagen caught himself from hitting the ground by only his hands. He shook his head a little bit and stood back up looking directly at Ethan. Ethan had no fear in his face what so ever, and the air was stuck in my throat.

"Hagen-" I began, but he cut me off. "Alex, I tried being nice." He looked over at me with his jaw clenched. I saw a good size red mark forming on his cheek.

"You're lucky you're off-limits right now." Hagen growled at Ethan. "Mhm." Ethan hummed sarcastically. 

"Alex, I really hope you decide not to join so this ass hole finally gets what's coming to him," Hagen spoke coldly pushing past Ethan.

I ran my hand through my hair and breathed out sharply. I had so much anger flowing through me right now. I drew my arm back and punched my locker sharply.

"Alex," Ethan spoke loudly, grabbing my hand. I yanked away from him and looked at him in his eyes. "God Ethan, what part of stay out of this don't you get!" I yelled at him, and people began looking at me. 

"What? He was an asshole. Anyone could have hit him for that." He responded just as loud. "You're making this harder and harder for me. I can't protect you if you keep throwing yourself into situations for me to clean up." I raised my voice again, making my throat ache.

"Alex, calm down." Grayson came closer. "You know I'm right." I pointed at Grayson, causing him to back up a little. "You need to control yourself, and your stupid ass impulses before I have to do things I don't want to do." I directed towards Ethan.

"What like join the mortel's?" He mocked. "No like break up with you," I snapped back bluntly. He looked at me, and I can tell I really pissed him off. He's chewing on the inside of his cheek.

"I'll stay out of it." He spoke in a low tone voice. "Thank you," I responded relieved. The bell rang, echoing throughout the hallway.

Ethan turned and walked away, but Grayson stayed. "He may not have control over himself, but you sure have control over him." He scoffed at me before walking away too.

-

I walked into the house that I fondly remember from a day ago. Again, one of the meathead men walked me into the room I met in before.

"I didn't expect to see you so soon, daughter." Larce turned around with a smile. "Yeah, I'm sure it's a pleasure," I responded sarcastically.

"Have you come to a decision?" He asked holding a drink in his hand. "Yes, I have," I said back nervously.

He pated a seat beside him. "I'm listening." He sat down.

-

--

---

yo