Wake from Hibernation

Part Eight: Evolution of Human World

<54> Wake from Hibernation

There are many countries on Earth that experience territorial disputes or ethnic conflicts with their neighbors. However, the three countries, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, have fewer border disputes and cultural conflicts than other countries, despite sharing a long border. Is it because of the commonality of France's colonial rule, a religious Buddhist country, and experiencing communism? Rather, it may be because Cambodia and Laos have no choice but to recognize Vietnam's leadership, which has an overwhelming advantage in population, economy and military power.

A country facing the sea has many advantages. The fishing and shipping industries can create wealth and jobs, and the sea can be a means of expanding its territory. A harbor is advantageous to trade and an exclusive economic zone can function as a secondary territory. On the other hand, inland countries can only trade by ship through maritime nations. Vietnam has a long coastline like Chile, so it has its strength as a maritime power, and Laos can easily get out to sea through Vietnam's narrow land corridor. In fact, Laos was able to gain access to the ocean through economic integration with Vietnam, and Vietnam had the opportunity to utilize capital and labor.

The two countries are jointly developing forests and natural resources in the northern part of the country, and are attracting foreign tourists by combining tourist resources. Meanwhile, large-scale plantations and manufacturing complexes have been built around the East-West Highway, which connects southern Laos and central Vietnam, and their products are being exported around the world through the port of Danang. The Mekong River region has become the center of agriculture, gardening, fish farming and manufacturing. I observed from the cruise ship that the infrastructure and standard of living of Laos and Thailand were similar. This means that Laos economy, which was lagging behind Thailand, grew relatively fast.

After the Laos tour, we headed for Singapore. Although the opening of the North Pole route and the construction of the Kra Canal connecting the Indian Ocean and the Thai bay in the south of Thailand have greatly diminished its role as a logistics hub, Singapore has found a way out of the high-tech industry. Singapore has long been the financial hub of ASEAN and has been highly competitive in education, medical services and IT industry. As a result, Singapore is still the richest country in Southeast Asia. Political stability, freedom of economic activities, low tax rates and efficient start-up environments are also factors that have made Singapore an advanced country.

"Mr. Lee, there is a hospital in Singapore that best treats brain patients. Rich people in Korea visit the hospital a lot, too. Doctors of the hospital are said to regenerate brain cells in dementia patients and nerves in paralyzed patients."

"How did Singapore develop the medical service industry?"

"Hospitals in Singapore attract wealthy patients because they hire world-class doctors and offer customized services to patients. Rich pregnant women in Southeast Asia visit Singapore hospitals even before they are pregnant. This is because Singapore's medical staff helps give birth to babies with superior DNA."

"Are you saying that Singapore's biotechnology is ahead of the U.S. and China?"

"Singapore lags behind in biotechnology but has excellent service capability to satisfy consumers."

"I wonder why Singapore has an advantage in its service competition with the world's biggest powers."

"In other countries, politicians and bureaucrats monitor and interfere with businesses, but Singapore officials help businesses. And this country has a system that attracts talented people and companies."