My Brother Is in Critical Condition

<64> My Brother Is in Critical Condition

The new year has begun. It's been five years since I returned to Earth. Young-jin, who is over two years old, is now able to communicate with his family somewhat. He likes to go to preschool and gets along well with his friends. And when he comes back home, he gets a special love from his grandmother. Yu-jin is urging Michelle to have another child, either a son or daughter. I have worked as a staff of the DK Human Resources Management Company for more than two years. Now I'm fully adapted to the new environment and recognized by the company for my abilities.

March 1, 2092 marked the 173th anniversary of the independence movement against Japanese imperialism. While resting at home, I was informed that my brother, Hyung-geun, had been hospitalized at a famous university hospital in Cheonan City. He seemed to have no serious health problems, but his condition suddenly deteriorated a week ago. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer over the age of ninety. However, he refused any surgery or chemotherapy and held on until he was 105 years old. His body is now so weak that it is difficult for doctors to revive him and he has reportedly refused life-extension treatment.

I headed for Cheonan City with Jong-bin's mother. At the hospital, Hyung-geun's eldest son was taking care of the patient with a nursing assistant. My brother got married five years after I left Earth and gave birth to his first son the following year, who was already seventy years old. He is my nephew and Jong-bin's uncle at the same time. He must have been close to Jong-bin's family. He looked at me, touched my shoulder and said, 'Come on, Jong-bin. I'm so glad you've recovered.' He is said to have visited Pyongyang when his cousin, Jin-guk, died, and also has seen Jong-bin lying in the hospital room. He informed his sleeping father of our visit.

"Dad, your nephew's wife and Jong-bin are here. Open your eyes."

Cancer patients are said to be very conscious until the last moment. Hyung-geun was also very conscious but very emaciated. I was heartbroken by the fact that I couldn't do anything for my younger brother who had only a few days to live. Aliens on the planet Merion are as lively and healthy as a young man, even when they are over a hundred years old. Why are humans so short in lifespan? I met my brother only a few times after returning to Earth, and now I have to prepare to say goodbye to him. Jong-bin's mother shed tears as she also thought her breakup with her uncle-in-law was not far away.

"Jong-bin's mother came here? She must have had a hard time taking care of her grandson, but she came all the way here?"

"Uncle, what do you mean? I must come to see you no matter what."

"Jong-bin is here, too. Thank you."

"I'm so sorry I can't do anything for you when you're sick."

I said so, but my mind is much more complicated. What pleasure do I live with when the only living brother dies? Hyung-geun still does not know that his brother's soul is right next to him. I have to remind him in some way that his brother did not die in vain, but I'm afraid I don't have much time. I think I should tell him stories about myself when no one else is around and help him die in peace.

Jong-bin's mother was also distressed to see the oldest person in the family suffering from life-and-death divide. Yu-jin is said to have received a lot of love from her in-laws since she got married. After her parents-in-laws died, she depended on Hyung-geun, but now it's time to break up with him. She held his skinny hand and pleaded earnestly.

"Uncle, your body has weakened because you have lived alone and had poor meals for a long time. Nutrition injections are very effective these days, so get plenty of them while you're in the hospital."

"I will follow the doctors' orders faithfully, so you don't have to worry. But now that I've lived to be over a hundred years old, I wish I could die comfortably."