Capitalism at Stake

<67> Capitalism at Stake

Michelle quickly identified the items I had proposed on the TF team. She expects that I would have suggested ingenious items that ordinary managers could not come up with. She thinks the future of the human world will resemble the present form of the planet Merion.

"I quickly recognized the items offered by JB. But you have remained silent on how to respond to revivalism. You're the one who was active a hundred years ago, so you know better than anyone how to satisfy the revivalists."

"I don't understand who people miss the old days. A hundred years ago, life was much more inconvenient, dangerous, and messy than it is now."

"Because they see only the bright side of the past. Modern people think that their ancestors lived simply in clean environment and were less stressed."

"That's not true. Life in those days were not as smart as it is now. The environment was rough and dirty, and the amenities were worse than they are now. In order for individuals to be free from heat, cold, air pollution, etc., they needed a huge investment in facilities. Now, you can reach your destination quickly and safely by pressing a button on a smart car with artificial intelligence, but back then, people were drove cars themselves. As a result, there were many people who were killed or injured in traffic accidents.

The quality of medical service at that time was ridiculously poor. Now, no one suffers from colds or allergies, and few die young due to cancer or diabetes. Not many elderly people suffer from dementia or stroke. At that time, the hospital was crowded with cold or allergy sufferers, but there was no curative medicine. Most of the patients with cancer died after months or years of suffering. Doctors said it's because of stress if they couldn't pinpoint the cause of the disease, which is ridiculous in light of current medical common sense. Even healthy people over the age of seventy were more likely to collapse due to disease, so they couldn't get a job.

Revivalism is just another expression of dissatisfaction or maladjustment to reality. If we ease their grievances a little bit, they'll change their mind. It is dangerous for people who are unhappy with reality to miss the old days, thinking only about the good aspects of the past."

"I agree with JB. However, the beautiful customs of the past are disappearing. I've heard that in the past, people used to value righteousness and human relationships over profits, but nowadays it's hard to find filial and righteous people. Communication between generations has become difficult, and the gap between those who are ahead and those who are behind is huge. It's a natural phenomenon for people who fall behind to miss the old days."

"Individualism and materialism have spawned countless social underdogs, which I think is the fatal defect of the free market economy. Social underprivileged people may think that social democracy was fairer and more democratic than capitalism, and that the past was better off than it is today."

Revivalism is a trend to revert to politics, ideas, institutions, culture and customs of the past, which may be a by-product of capitalism that emphasizes efficiency and competition. In a world where capital plays a key role, high barriers are formed between capitalists and workers as well as people who understand technology and those who do not. The barrier makes communication difficult.

"The gap between generations of knowledge and information is a key factor preventing communication. When I was young, my grandfather used to be a key member of the family and was in charge of all the housework. Everyone had his or her own seat in the home and community, and was free to communicate with other members. But now the respect for the elderly and the sense of community are gone."

"Didn't you find such an alienated member on the planet Merion?"

"On the planet, community members are equally cared for. It's full of supplies and everyone has their own role. Communication is fine because all members share advanced knowledge, technology and information. Therefore, there is no generational conflict, identity discrimination, or the gap between rich and poor."