My Acquaintances Are Leaving

Part Ten: System Change

<69> My Acquaintances Are Leaving

The years passed and we entered the 22nd century. I am now in my late 40s and have been promoted to the CEO of the DK Group in charge of the new business. My son, Young-jin, is in the fourth grade of elementary school and my daughter, Seol-ah, is six years old. She was born on the day when white snow fell, and her skin is as white as snow. Yu-jin will be a hundred years old in three years. But she became weak and spent a lot of time lying down every day. Only when she sees her grandchildren, she shows a clear and lively look, and then muttered, 'It's time to meet my husband, and I don't know why the King of Hades does not call me.' She seems to feel that her separation from her family is not far away.

"My son, it seems like Grim Reapers have skipped my house today as well."

"Why do you keep thinking about dying? Grim Reapers seem to think that people under a hundred are too young."

"Is the underworld already full? Your father and Chairman Cho died younger than I."

"They've worked so much that they've become weak regardless of their age."

"That's the same for me. It would be easier for me to die than to live in this state, but king of Hades doesn't seem to know my condition very well."

"He seems to think you still have work to do."

"What can I do with this body?"

"We all want you to live longer, so you shouldn't leave yet."

"You have become a CEO of the group that your grandfather founded and my grandchildren have grown to some tent. What else can I do? It's already been thirteen years since your father left. I think he is calling me."

"I'm sure you'll meet my father in time, so don't be impatient right now. Why are you so weak when doctors tell you there's nothing wrong with your body?"

"I know my body better than the doctors. If I hold out to live longer, I'll only get ugly. When there is nothing to be done in this world, we must leave without hesitation."

"You shouldn't die before grandma Yoon-hee and grandma Hyun-ji, who are older than you."

"I've been weaker than them since I was young, so it's no wonder if I should die first. I don't think grandma Yoon-hee will live long, so if I become her companion on the way to the next world, she will like it."

Yoon-hee is now a hundred and thirteen years old. She was full of energy and had a good memory until three years ago, but recently she has been too thin and unable to recognize visitors. She lived like a young man until she was over a hundred years old, without losing ambition, passion, and quest for intelligence, all of which changed at one moment. No one seems to be able to go against the passage of time.

Now that she is so weak in mind and body, her two children take turns taking care of her closely. When someone asked her who her husband was, she answered Cho In-gyu once and Lee Dae-geun the other time. Not forgetting the names of two men implies that she still has a good memory, and not naming a woman or a wrong name is proof that she knows the word 'husband. ' She heard that my brother passed away eight years ago in great comfort and asked me what I had said to him. She had asked me to say the same thing to her.

I also told Yoon-hee a story about soul and reincarnation. However, it was not said that my soul was reincarnated on the planet Merion and became a war hero. My family would welcome the story that I became a hero on another planet, but she would be confused. She must remember that I was reincarnated as an Indian boy, so I can't say that one soul was reincarnated on Earth and on alien planet at the same time.