t e n | damon and anne

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

NH

"What happened to you last night? You disappeared," Louis asks the moment Niall walks into the lecture hall on Friday afternoon.

"Just...got distracted, that's all," He replies, and Louis eyes him suspiciously.

"No, what happened? You've never disappeared on me like that, not even when you were living in California," Louis pushes and Niall sits down in his seat.

"I started texting with Harry," Niall admits and Louis squeals, forcing Niall to cover his ears from the sudden, loud noise right beside him.

"What did he say!"

"He just asked me what I was up to and I told him I was studying and wanted a break so he asked me if I'd eaten anything and I hadn't so I said no, and then he picked me up and we went out for dinner, that's all," Niall mumbles, feeling shy and vulnerable, the memories from the night before hurting him far more than he would care to admit.

"Why didn't you tell me!" Louis demands, completely ignoring the sour looks he's getting from the students nearby, not to mention the look of 'Louis you need to stop' coming from Nick.

"Because it's not a big deal, nothing happened," Niall's gaze falls to his desk, his fingers fidgeting and his heart falling. He can't help the small frown that forms on his face, and both boys beside him take notice.

"What's wrong? I thought this would make you happy, no? Why do you look so sad?" Louis shifts from the excited, bubbly best friend to the concerned mother hen.

"I don't want to talk about it," Niall says quietly, making Nick and Louis share a worried look. Never does Niall not want to talk about Harry stuff. Plus, Niall has always been so open with Nick and Louis about pretty much everything outside of what his life was like in Dublin, and why he had to run away.

"Okay, that's alright, you don't have to," Nick says and Niall slumps back in his seat, still staring at his hands that are resting on his desk, chewing on his bottom lip to keep himself from bursting into tears in front of everyone around him.

"I barely know you and I already fancy you so much. It's crazy. I have never liked someone this much before. I don't understand what's happening to me. What are you doing to me, Harry?"

Niall hadn't meant to say it, but he did. He couldn't stop the words from slipping out of his lips, what with his heart hammering in his chest and the butterflies fluttering in his stomach - not to mention the fuzziness in his head from being so close to someone so beautiful. It's a wonder he had yet to say more embarrassing things, seeing as he's always reverting back to primary level intelligence when Harry is around.

And then he saw how Harry's cheeks dusted pink and a small smile lifted at the corners of his lips, but suddenly, he's pulling back - he's pulling away. He slips his hand out of Niall's and his stomach falls, eyes wide with panic as they flit about nervously.

"I, um...I-I have to go," Harry whispers, making Niall's heart fall into the pit of his stomach, filling him with a sort of raw, nervous nausea.

"Oh...okay," Niall responds, unable to keep the disappointment off his face. Harry stands up and sets his glass on the coffee table.

"Thank you for the drink, I'll, uh...bye," Harry mumbles and is gone so quick it gives Niall whiplash.