t w e n t y - s i x | lunch and laser quest

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

NH

When he walks out of his exam on Tuesday afternoon, Niall never felt better. He feels free. He can breathe, he's done with his classes, and he's no longer worrying about Damon during every second of every day.

Damon gave him his word that he won't release the material he's got and, for once, Niall actually believes him. He'd never seen Damon looking so intimidated before, and to know that he's the one that did that has given him such a rush of confidence.

Niall goes straight to the restaurant he's meeting Zayn at, not even bothering to stop by home first to drop off his rucksack. He just wants to start feeling like his old self again, hanging out with his mates and having fun without the stresses of Damon looming over him like a dark, ominous cloud. He really hated feeling like everything could come crashing down at any minute.

"Ni!" Zayn calls out the moment Niall steps into the building. Niall waves and makes his way over to where Zayn is sitting, sliding into the seat across from him, "Hey, how was the exam?"

"I think I did really well," Niall grins, grateful to have gotten it done and over with.

"That's great! Does that mean I get to pay for lunch?" As much as Niall doesn't want him to pay, he knows that Zayn invited him out, so he doesn't bother putting up a fight.

"Fine, but only because I paid yesterday," Niall agrees and Zayn grins, the two of them picking up their menus. It doesn't take long for a waiter to come by and take their orders, leaving the two chatting.

"Okay, so I've kind of got a question for you," Zayn begins cryptically, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. He avoids Niall's eyes and that tells Niall that something is wrong.

"Alright, what is it?" Niall fidgets with the straw in his drink, waiting for Zayn to ask what he wants to ask.

"I mean, you were acting really weird on Sunday and I saw that Harry wasn't with you and you said you were waiting for someone and so I texted Harry and asked what he was up to, just because I was curious, and he told me he was out to dinner with Payne and some friends so I guess I was just wondering..." Zayn trails off, leaving Niall in suspense.

"Don't leave me hanging, Z, just spit it out," Niall presses.

"Are you cheating on Harry?" Zayn asks. Niall feels like his world falls away for a moment as he really begins to process what Zayn has just asked.

"What? No!" He exclaims, panicked, and Zayn holds up his hands in surrender.

"Okay, I was just asking! You seemed really skittish and you wanted me to leave and I don't know, it just seemed really suspicious," Zayn defends himself, but Niall feels a mixture of hurt and appalled that Zayn could think something like that of him. He can understand why Zayn thought that, but that doesn't take away the hurt he feels.

"I-I...No, I'm not cheating on him," Niall reiterates, slumping in his seat a little. The thought of cheating on Harry actually hurts him.

"Okay, I just had to make sure," Niall nods and his heart aches at the thought, "I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay, I understand. It's just...thinking about that hurts," Niall admits and Zayn sighs, guilt eating at him for even mentioning it.

The waiter comes back then with their plates, but Niall is struggling to put away the sadness he feels in order to eat the food sitting in front of him.