Three

Later that night, Edith arrived back to her place at around eleven thirty on the school when she was told to be back by eleven. Her parents were worried and just about ready to call the cops if she hadn't of shown up when she did. The movie finished at around nine-thirty, but she decided to head to the Curtis place and hang around there for a little while. She lost track of time and came walking home. She could drive, but hadn't driven that day since she had went with a friend that morning. 

Her mother stood at the end of the foyer, the light turned on as she finished pulling the cord to turn it on. Her father was groggily making his way to the foyer to meet his daughter and wife as he had fallen asleep from a long day of work. He was a firefighter and her mother, a nurse. "Where have you been, Young Lady? I've been worried sick all night wondering where you were." She spoke, her arms crossed lightly as she stood tall, staring over at her daughter.

Her parents weren't super strict about certain things, but when it came to curfews and being back by the promised time, it was strict. They were usually quite content with their daughter knowing they could trust her. They weren't so much worried about her doing certain things, but when it came to boys and parties, they advised her to be careful. 

Her father made it to the foyer as well, his eyes adjusting to the light and he gave his daughter half a smile, keeping quiet since he didn't need to speak if his wife was going to. She was always right. "I was at the Curtis house." She answered. "I lost track of time, but it won't happen again."

"All right then. You've got school tomorrow. Best get to bed now." Her father spoke up before her mother could and make things harder.

Edith felt bad and her parents could see it, leaving it at that, she went to her room. Arriving upstairs, she shut the door to her room. Stepping over to her window, she pulled the window up and locked it in place to allow a nice breeze into the room. Her room was big and she liked it. She had a separate washroom in her room and closet that was the same size. The room was clean, except for the few books that lied around the desk or little sofa between the two windows. She had a dresser with a few nick knacks on it and a vanity with a large mirror. She often got ready in her bathroom where the light was perfect and used her vanity as a desk instead.

The walls were light pink with dark brown wooden floors. There were two windows at the far side of the room, across from the door. Her headboard was against the wall and the bed came out from the wall. It was a queen bed and she had night tables with lamps on either side and the one on the left had a pot of flowers.

After changing into a nightgown, Edith took her face off and then crawled into bed. Grabbing her book and turning the light on, she read for a little bit before falling asleep. Her father turning the light off before he went to bed.

The next morning, it was about ten o'clock and Ponyboy looked around his gym class. The teacher was naming names off the list to make sure everyone was there because some kids liked to play hooky during that class because they didn't like it or simply felt like it was a useless class. 

Edith always showed up to that class and liked to showoff because not many girls did too much. Some practiced cheerleading, others ran laps, some played baseball or volleyball and others sat on the bleachers watching, but Edith and a few girls like doing sports with the boys because it was more fun and challenging.

"Jerry. Gail. Gwendolyn." The teacher spoke, the three kids saying something to say they were there. He continued as some kids whispered and fooled around. "Roger. James. Kate. Edith."

Three of the four answered. Most of the students looked around the gym in search for Edith, where not one person knew where she was. She hadn't dropped by Pony's house that morning, she hadn't been driven, she hadn't shown to first or second period and now she was missing third. Where was she?

"Where's Edith?" He asked, looking at his students. Half of them shrugged. He whistled. "Boys." He points to the few Soc boys that she sometimes hung around with which was Tristan's group of boys.

"What?" Tristan asked. "She may be my girlfriend, but I don't know where she is." He spoke, playing it cool and lying. Some believed him and others did not. Ponyboy furrowed his brows in curiosity, he could have sworn that she and Tristan were not dating. She mentioned the day before of being single, but what was happening now?

"Anyway, anyone?" The teacher asked, still looking around.

The gym doors busted open and Edith came jogging in. "I'm late. I know. I'm sorry." She called, jogging to the group and made her way to the middle, finding Evie, Steve's girlfriend.

"You're late. What makes you think you have the luxury of being late to my class?" He asked her, crossing his arms and had brought his clipboard to his side between his ribs and arm.

"I um, got caught up this morning. I apologize."

"As I was saying," He started to pace around the gym. "Girls you'll be doing cheerleading today since I have to train the boys for track and field."

Edith went to put her arm up, but Evie stopped her. She was in enough trouble and Evie believed she could prevent more if Edith did not ask any new questions or protest about doing cheer rather something real and educational. Listening, Edith sighed dramatically and turned around, the snobby brunette Soc calling the girls off to start off the pyramid. The sturdier girls usually took bottom, but because Edith was late, she was put on bottom instead of middle or top.

With a few girls cheering, causing Edith to get a headache, and the rest forming the pyramid, which fell multiple times, the gym class was uneventful for Edith George.