Nineteen

Two hours went by. The TV was still playing and teenagers loitered the living room. Two-bit lied on his stomach, asleep, on the floor in the middle of the living room. Edith lied on her stomach in the opposite direction, her elbows on Two-bit's back as her hands held her head as she watched the TV quietly, her head bobbing every now and then. Steve and Soda remained on the floor as well, seated with their backs against the couch.

Steve had his right knee up with his arm slung over it and rested as he chewed on a toothpick. Soda was growing bored and since his feet were near Edith's, he was lightly kicking her feet with his and she had noticed, but hadn't said a word. Half asleep, Edith could no longer remember his presence. 

Johnny and Ponyboy came up the steps talking to each other. Johnny arched his brows in ponder, wondering why the house seemed so quiet. He could hear some banging and knew it had to be Darry working outside. Pony continued talking anyhow and entered the house first, stepping in and held the door for Johnny, who followed.

Pony had cut himself short. "What're you guys doin' on the floor?" He asked, looking from his brother to the two teenagers asleep in the middle of the room. Edith's head had fallen and her cheek squished against Two-bit's back, he was lucky she doesn't drool.

Soda looked over and Steve barely glanced over at them. He kept his eyes on the TV as he continued chewing the toothpick. "Nothin'. Just decided we'd sit on the floor." He shrugged, not really having a real reason why they were all on the floor. They were previously wrestling and it went differently than planned because Edith joined for a short part.

"Oh, we're going to my room."

"Hey, wait," Soda stood up. Pony listened, waiting. Soda was his preferred brother and Edith and him knew it. Pony was allowed to have a preferred brother all he wanted, but he didn't quite understand that things were different between he and Darry because of how reality had went. It did not go as expected, but more so the unexpected. "Has Smarty said anything about Jason lately?"

Pony shook his head slowly, knowing nothing about it. He turned and looked to Johnny, who also shook his head quietly with a shrug. "Nah, she hasn't."

"I wonder what happened."

"What do you mean? Is it because Dallas went an' taught Jason a lesson?" 

Sodapop nods. "Yeah," He scratched the back of his head. 

"I heard he's a pansy." Steve butted in, bringing an arm around Soda's shoulder in a friendly way. Soda looked over with narrowed eyes. "What's it to ya? It don't matter who she's with or not with. She's sixteen and can handle herself. Have ya seen the shitty boyfriends she's had."

"Exactly his point, Steve." Ponyboy intervened.

"Shut up, Ponyboy." Steve threw a hit to him.

"My house." Pony contradicted. "You weren't even invited."

"So?" Steve shrugged.

"Enough." Soda said. "Well, what about you, Johnny? What do ya think 'bout all this?"

He had been waiting for someone to ask him the question because by now he had enough time to come up with his answer. "What ever she did, I-I think she's all 'ight." He nods.

Pony pats his shoulder and nods to the stairs. "Let's go."

Hearing some movement, the two boys walked off to the stairs. Two-bit had shuffled on the floor, turning onto his side slightly and brought a hand under his head. Meanwhile, Edith fell off his back onto the wooden floor next to him. She didn't exactly move, from Two's force, he had basically put her into a different position. She lied on the floor with her hair all over the place, her arms by either side of her body and she wasn't heard. On the other hand, they could hear Two-bit snoring softly.

"Wow, wait 'til a rooster wakes 'em up." Steve laughs, hitting Soda's chest.

Sodapop nodded, looking down at them. He turned, pursing his lips together and bit it lower lip, going to find Darry out back. Steve ran out of the house since everyone was doing their own thing. He decided to go see if his own place was clear from his deadbeat father or not.

Outside, Soda watched Darry and helped when needed or asked. He didn't do much, but he did talk a lot and Darry didn't listen to everything because he had too many things to do. He made sure to listen to the import parts, that way he could give Sodapop advice if needed it.