Twenty-Seven

Lying half awake on the couch, Edith could hear the racket from the front yard as the boys came cheering in. As sore as some of the boys were, they still managed to holler and have fun anyhow. The front door opened roughly as the boys piled inside. Darry walked in first, heading straight to the kitchen without a word. He was a little dirty from rolling around on the grass and dirt, his knuckles were bloody and cracked.

Next came Dallas, who shouted and smirked, already telling his victory and Two-bit complaining, who thought he had beat up more Socs. The two spoke back and forth to one another about it. Next came Soda and Steve, who walked inside the house together, talking lowly about their victory. Soda was a lot more dirtier than Steve was because he needed to work a little more than Steve did, who was still dirty.

Ponyboy came in last, he looked the most disheveled and Edith almost couldn't help but laugh. She had told him to come back alive, not like what he looked like. She covered her mouth and laughed lightly, Steve and Soda glancing over to see why she was laughing. Soda had a small smile at the corner of his mouth, but no one noticed. 

She decided on getting up and started helping the boys. On her way to the washroom to wet a rag and grab the first aid kit, she caught Ponyboy's free wrist since his other hand was rubbing the dirt off his face so he could see better. "Hey-" He started, but had cut himself off.

Edith searched for a rag or something, when she found one, she soaked it in warm water and then rinsed it out. Ponyboy didn't say much about the Rumble, she naturally assumed they won because of their victory or else none of the boys would have walked into the house the way they did.

He stood next to the sink, watching her rinse out the warm cloth. The rest of the boys sitting out in the living room as they cleaned themselves up. She spun on her heels to face him and he glanced up to her as she brought the rag up to his forehead. While she focused on the cuts and bruises on his forehead, he stared at her. He licked his bottom dry lip. "Ede, do you like anyone?"

She wasn't taken back by his question because they spoke all the time to one another. She replied nonchalantly. "Why?"

He shrugged. "I know a guy..."

"You?"

"Golly no-ow!" He called, gripping her wrist and leaned back, she was cleaning a bigger cut above his right eyebrow and she had applied a little too much pressure. He exhaled and looked at her. 

"You're such a baby."

"Am not." He pouted, staring at the wall as his face looked to her so she could see his wound in the light. "Besides, why would I like you?" She hit his thigh and he laughed. "I'm kidding. It ain't me I'm talkin' 'bout, but some other guy."

"Who?"

"Ah, that ain't my share to tell."

She sighed, shoving the rag to his chest. "Now, it ain't my share to help ya. Finish yourself." She told him and turned, leaving the washroom. She entered the living room where the boys were all sitting around with groggy eyes and achy muscles. Darry seemed to be the best looking, but then again, he never really showed pain to anyone. "I'll be outside for a few minutes." She told them and exited the front door.

Walking out onto the front porch, she pulled herself up on the railing and leaned against the support beam. Staring out at the road, she sighed deeply and looked at her own body, staring at her hands and arms, looking at the light bruising. She was still getting over the jumping and what she would tell her parents when they returned the next day near dinner time. She was afraid they would get her in trouble or maybe they'd believe one of the Curtis boys had done something.

She did not look as bad as the gang did because she'd been healing for the last three days since the jumping. Edith's face was clearing up, but she still had noticeable injuries. Inside, Sodapop stood up from his spot on the couch and grabbed two drinks from the fridge, he walked by the boys, who didn't say anything because they figured since he had two drinks, he was giving one to Edith. Darry watched his brother leave and then lied back in his chair comfortably, closing his eyes as he had finished tending to the wounds on his knuckles.