Eight

Waking up the next morning wearing a pair of sweat pants and a tee-shirt, they were a little big for Edith, but she had a good sleep anyhow. She rubbed her eyes and looked around, forgetting she had stayed at her new friend's house. Someone who had saved her from potentially being hit by her friend. She lied in the middle of the bed and looked around the room. It was big like hers and it seemed a little more decorated than what a middle class boy's room would be. 

The bathroom door was wide open and the light was on, someone was whistling inside the room while they brushed their teeth while wearing shorts and shoes. The room had light grey walls, the bedding was navy blue with red and white accent. The curtains were shut to make the room darker. A pillow and blanket were folded on the small couch in the room where Jason had slept. The room was surprisingly clean and the closet doors were shut, the desk was filled with papers and books, useless to Jason, but useful to someone like Edith who actually went to school all the time.

"Hey," Jason spoke, throwing a towel onto one of the hooks by his dresser as he searched for a shirt. "How'd you sleep?"

"Fine." She answered.

"Good, because that couch is awful."

"Then why do you have it?" She laughed, getting up and looked down at her attire. Shrugging, she ran her hands through her hair to make it look better than it was as Jason pulled a shirt on over his shoulders. 

"I don't know, when I moved in a like two years ago it was already in here."

"Two years ag-" She was cut off when the door had busted open and someone hollered. 

"Asshole, what the fuck were you thinking?" They said, walking into the room. Edith furrowed her brows, knowing that voice and turned. "Huh? You're such a fucking asshole. No wonder why- Edith?" He questioned. "Why the hell is she in your room?"

"Get out, Tristan."

He gasped, his eyes filled with anger and his fists turning to balls. "D-did you sleep with her?...I knew it! You always fucking do this!" He shouted, walking further into the room and threw a punch to Jason. He then shoved Jason back where he stumbled back into the wall, hitting it roughly and brought his hands up, shoving Tristan back.

"Hey!" He hollered. "I didn't do anything to her. You did!"

"I'd never!"

"Did so. That party! You were gonna hit her and I saved her from it."

Edith got in the middle before things escalated. She stood in front of Jason, pushing him back with her hip and had set a hand on Tristan's chest, preventing him from going any further. If she had known that they knew each other and acted out at the other, she wouldn't of came to Jason's place. It got her thinking why Tristan was at Jason's house, unless he was there to yell at him.

The boys had beef and she saw it. "Stop it! Both of you." She eyed Tristan and then looked back at Jason, he wiped the blood from his lip and shook his head. "Why are you here, Tristan?"

"Me? I live here." Tristan replied. She looked back to Jason, who nodded. "You didn't tell her, did you, Shithead?"

"Tell me what?" She asked as Jason paced around behind her and Tristan laughed, almost smiling as she stood confused.

"Jason over here is my step-brother."

"Forced." Jason spoke up. "My mother married his deadbeat father and what do I get? A horrible step-brother who hates my guts."

"Your guts?" Tristan called. "No, no. You're the one who stole my father and your guts are dead."

"You're only here because my mother thinks it's best for me to have a brother. Well guess what, you're just as much of an ass as I am."

Edith shook her head again, not understanding. She could tell this was some arranged and forced family by parents remarrying, but the boys were fighting and arguing. Jason's lip was bleeding and Tristan looked ready to throw another punch. "Wait, you're step-brothers? Why didn't you tell me?" She turned to Jason. "I thought we were hitting it off last night. You protected me from Tristan-"

"Protected?" Tristan cut in. "No, he's far worst than I am, Edith. You shouldn't even being hanging around with him. He may be younger than me by three months, but he's still the baby. He's not trustworthy at all, he's a player and rule breaker."

"Just because I'm not perfect like you doesn't mean nothing. At least she had a better time with me last night than with you. All you did was is boss her around and try to sleep with her. She doesn't want that."

"I don't." Edith nods. "But, I don't want to be friends with two brothers who fight all the time and you lied to me." She told Jason. "You lied right to my face about it all."

Tristan smirked, his arms crossed. "I did not lie." Jason answered. "I simply didn't tell you."

"Liar." Tristan butted in. "Come on, Edith. I'll drive you back."

"No. I'm walking. Thank you." She shook her head again. "And to think you were so much more than the other guys I knew." She looked at Jason again. "I thought you were different, but you're just like the rest of them. And Tristan," She turned to face him. "Get over me because let's face it, you're nothing but a guy who gets drunk at parties and wants to sleep with girls. Just admit it."

With that, Edith left.