Sixteen

Parking her car at the DX after school finished, Edith roamed around the place looking for her two friends. She did not see them at the pumps and decided to go to the garage and check first. Entering by the bay door that was open, she gave smiles to the few boys she knew who were working and waved the others she didn't know. Not seeing them in the garage, she entered the shop by the garage door.

Soda and Steve, who were at cash, both turned and looked over to the door to see who it. Steve chuckled and why Edith was in the garage. "Find anything in there?" He asked.

"Yeah, some nice looking boys." She joked and approached the counter. "Anyway, I asked my physics teacher why wheels on our cars spin and he told me he didn't know because he wasn't mastered in the art of car." She told the boys.

"So?" Steve asked. "What do you want us to do? Fix your car?"

"No." She shook her head. "Soda did it two months ago." She smiled to him and he nods, fixing his hat, listening to the conversation. 

"They spin because they're going too fast for the road." Steve answered.

Soda leaned forward with a chuckle. "They spin whether they have tread or 'em or not. Some of them racing ones don't got 'em. It's because the engine is running to fast for the  wheels. So, they just spin and spin."

"What if I don't get tread on my wheels?" She asked Soda, who seemed to have a better answer for her than Steve did, who crossed his arms and rolled his eyes, leaning against the counter.

"It depends. They'll still spin, but if you can get 'em hot enough on the asphalt, it'll kinda melt the tire a little. That'll make it sticky, so when you hit the gas, you won't spin the tires. They've got traction to roll and stick rather than slip and slide. Most drag racers do that, well, the good ones."

"Show off." Steve scoffed and left.

Edith laughed with a smile, Soda sitting up. "Show offs are good once in a while." She shrugged, looking at him. Leaning onto the counter, she looked at him. "Say, how come you never give me your opinion about Jason Eagerton or Tristan Bridges?"

He shrugged. "I don't need to worry about other people like them. Besides, you've got this. I don't think you seven of us to tell you what you should do. Six is enough."

"No," She shook her head. "I wanna know what you think. I know you're thinking something about them."

"Possibly." He answered, she stepped aside when a customer walked in, telling Soda which pump he was at and how much gas he asked for. When Soda finished helping the man, Edith set her hands on the counter and pulled herself. Spinning around, she scooted over to the far side, setting her legs over the side. Her back facing the door as she sat by the register. "Miss us?"

"Just you." She laughed. He nods. "Now come on," She nudged. "What do you really think about them?"

"I think Jason Eagerton is a waste of your time and why bother with Tristan. Those two cause trouble all the time between each other. Ponyboy even said so."

"What if I like one of them?"

"Those are you feelings to say, not mine." He answered and turned, cleaning up the few papers that lied around and organized them. 

"What if I start dating one of them?"

"Go ahead. Your feelings, your mind, your heart, your body." He shrugged.

She slapped his shoulder, wanting a real answer. "Come on, that's a terrible answer. Which one of them would you prefer?"

"Neither."

"Which one?"

"I don't know, which ever one isn't a pain in my ass right now." He told her and she sighed, jumping off the counter. She tapped his arm. 

"See ya at your place."