Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Fatima Ezzahra, Austin, Jasper, Caitlyn, Nessie and Anne.

        Stories of friendship. Stories of love. Those are the stories that matter. Those are the stories that we will never forget. Stories that will remain alive in our hearts as long as we live. But there's two ways a story can go. It can either be happy or sad. But in all ways, every story must come to an end. And it is just a matter of when and how, till it is added to the endless line of memories where we find our haven whenever we are in need of comfort and solace. And my story is like any other story, it started one day and it dragged me into it with everything I had. But in my case, what was different is that my story wasn't only mine; it didn't belong only to me, but it was shared.

        It first started with Emily, she was the first to go through the experience, or at least, the first from the people I knew. Emily was a 20-year old girl. She was cute. She had green eyes and a light brown hair with blonde highlights, and she had a very beautiful smile. She always did what she wanted, she was never afraid to follow the path she had chosen for herself, and she was always responsible for her choices. She always dreamt of becoming a fashion designer, and so, she never gave up. After graduating from high school, she chose to study fashion, as a way to make her dreams come true. Lucky, she had very supportive parents. They were always there for her, respecting her choices and helping her through them. So far, everything was going perfectly as planned. But you can never be sure what's going to come next. And Emily could never predict what fate had in store for her.

        She knew him growing up. Their families were friends, they used to meet every once in a while. His name was Ethan, he had always been that cute little boy who grew up to be a very handsome man. He was classy, steady, and well cultured. Unlike Emily, he wanted to be a doctor, and so it was. He was coming from a very wealthy family, his father was a well-known business man in Manhattan. But behind his good looks, he was a man with pride, even, he had a bit of arrogance and sarcasm. But all we could say is that it was worth it. He wasn't the easy kind of guy; if you think you could have him with a smile or a wink, you'd be dead wrong. It's the kind of men that in order to get, you should first deserve. And Emily was one of the girls who got fascinated by his charm. Especially that she had known him for a period of time. They were both known to be really good friends, but what Emily felt was a little more than just friendship. We could say that she had fallen for him. At first slowly, and then, all at once. After all, why wouldn't she? He was the kind of men every girl would love. He was charming, seductive, gallant… All in all, he was perfect. Through all those years, she knew that what he felt for her wasn't more than a brother-sister love, in spite of this, she chose to give herself hope that maybe one day, he will be able to love her the way she loved him. But what she didn't know is that in life, you can't always get what you want. As for him, he used to have relationships, and Emily was always jealous from the girls he used to date. But she never tried to tell him about how she felt for him, or even give him a hint. It was really sad for her to see him happy with other girls while she was burning inside. She always wondered why it couldn't be her, why wouldn't he feel that way about her. But she kept this for herself, before she decided to take action and to do whatever it takes to get him, not worrying about the consequences. She continued her life as usual, but this time, she was a little brave to decide that she was finally going to let him know. But first, she had to wait for the perfect moment. Till then, she never ceased to give him allusions. She made sure to multiply their meetings, trying to draw his attention to her as a woman, trying to change his vision towards her as the little Emily to whom he used to bring dolls and dummies. She wanted him to be hers this time, and this wanting got stronger in her day by day. It was consuming her at the extent that she couldn't think of anything else. As for him, he didn't notice anything, despite her various attempts to let him know. Usually, he could easily understand people from the way they act, but maybe this time he needed a frontal confession. Luckily for her, he was going through a tough period with his girlfriend, and their relationship wasn't going much well. Eventually, they broke up. So he was single, and it was the perfect time for her to make her move. She was there for him ever since, trying to comfort him and make him forget about the break up. On the other hand, she was doing her shot, she was trying to win his heart. She had shown him her sympathy, compassion, affection... love. All he had to do is to see to really know. But he just didn't. Or maybe he did, but he just didn't want to take it the way it seemed to be, or properly said, the way it really was. Because, for him, it was never going to work between them. Anyway, Emily kept hope, and she stuck to her plan. She wasn't ready to quit before she gets what she wanted.