Chapter 8

“I’m, sorry, sir. I’m really sorry.” She said, regretfully.

“Oh, it’s you again. It seems to me that you apologize a lot.” He replied, wearing his usual witty smile.

“That’s you, you’re the man from the flight. Wow, you must think I’m a helpless gawk now, perfect.” She said, flushing.

“No, actually, I’m not. I’m just thinking what a coincidence!” He answered, always with the same smile on his face.

“Oh, okay then.”

“Yeah, well, enjoy your trip, and next time look out where you are walking.” He said, going on his way.

“I will, thank you.” She responded, having a full teeth smile. He shook his head in approval as he walked away. She went on her way as well, before she turned out and yelled, “Hey, you there! Do you have a name?”

He looked back, surprised by her act, “Yes, I do have a name.”

She was coming towards him, once she was standing next to him, he added “I’m Ethan.”

“Nice to meet you Ethan, I’m Summer rain Rosemary Clark, but you can call me summer.” She said, looking straight at his blue eyes.

“Alright, Summer, it was nice to meet you too.” He replied, then continued walking.

“Hey, wait… I know this is completely ridiculous, but I would like to make it up for you.” She added, wondering.

“Make it up for me?”

“Well, I don’t know, but we could go somewhere, have lunch. I know a nice place here, they serve good food. If you like of course.” She interrupted him.

“So I suppose you are inviting me for lunch?” He asked.

“Yeah, you can say so… So, what do you think?”

“Oh, well, that seems like a fine idea.” They kept walking on the same direction then he added, “But in one condition.”

“What’s the condition?”

“I’ll pay.”

“Oh, I thought it was me who is going to make it up for you. Gentleman!” She gave him a weird smile, rolling her eyes. “But, if that’s what you want, then you got it.”

“Okay, then.” He said.

“It’s just ten minutes away from here.” She told him, as they were walking together. Soon, she asked, “So, is it your first time here?”

“Yes, it’s the first time I come here. What about you? You seem to have been here before.”

“Yes, once. This is the second time I come here. Venice is such an amazing city, once you’re here, it traps you in its charm, and you never get enough of its genuine beauty.” She responded, showing her love for the city.

“Yes, I can see.” 

“So, you’re originally from New York?” Always the one asking questions.

“Yes, I am. And you?”

“Me too. Well I’m from New Jersey but I live and work in New York.”

“Okay.” He tried to stay precise.

Moments later, they arrived to a small ancient restaurant.

“The place looks small, but it’s really cozy. Besides, they make delicious food.” She said as they walked in.

The place was ancient: old wooden tables, different kinds of chairs, dark oil painted wallswith small gilt mirrors randomly placed, white candles, and small vases of white roses… It could take you back in time and let you wander in different eras. It was really sensational.

“You don’t get to order here. They serve what they cooked for the day. You take what you get. Except the wine, you get to choose.” She added as they sat.

“Oh, I’m cool with that. The place looks good by the way.” He replied.

“Yes, it does.”

At that moment, the waiter came, “Buon giorno signori, thank you for choosing our restaurant. We are cooking for today Scampi alla veneziana, Caparossoi a scota deo and Risi e Bisi for salad… We hope you enjoy it. What would you like to order for drinks, sir?”

“Would you like to choose the wine?” he asked her, raising his eyebrows expectantly.

“You choose.” She answered.

“Due bicchieri di Valpolicella, per favore.” He told the waiter.

“Certo, sir, torno subito.” He said, then left.

“You speak Italian, impressive.” She said, looking at him in admiration.

“Well, I happen to be multilingual.” He replied, self-confident.

“Interesting.” She said back, while the waiter was laying the table.

“Qui è il vostro pasto, speriamo vi piaccia.” He said, welcoming.

“Grazie.” Ethan replied. And the waiter left again, soon, they started eating.

“For how long you’re staying here?” She asked.

“A few more days, actually I have a week here.” He answered. “What about you?”

“Well, I don’t know yet. I’ll be having an exposition here in two days. I’ll see what happens.”

“An exposition?” He wondered.

“Yeah, actually, I am a photographer. It will be in a small gallery downtown.”

“Oh, then I wish you the best of luck.” He smiled.

“Thank you.” She smiled back.

         As they finished their meal, they left the restaurant. They kept walking, reticently, before he decided to speak;

“So, Summer, tell me: why are we still going on the same way?” He asked, sardonically.

“Oh, you don’t enjoy my company, do you?” She said, disappointed.

“No, that’s not what I meant.”

“Oh yes, it is.” She replied, as she walked on the other way. “Anyway, enjoy your trip, stranger…I mean Ethan. Whatsoever!” Waved at him as she was getting away.

“Huhh, what a crazy girl.” He spoke to himself while walking on his way.