Chapter 21

“So it is your last year, huh?” He asked, I raised my eyebrow, then he added, “I’m talking about your studies.”

“Ah, yeah, finally.” I said, with a full teeth smile on my face.

“Cool, so congratulations?”

“Yeah, I’m glad this whole thing is over… It’s time for me to live my life.” I responded, as I looked up in the sky.

“Yeah right.” He half-smiled, then said, “Um, so…speaking of living your life, is there anyone? …You know what I’m talking about.”

I narrowed my eyes. Here it is, that question! Does he really want to go there? And what am I supposed to say? … Yes, there is and he is standing in front of me now?

“I don’t know…I mean the only guys I know and I see a lot are the ones I study with. And none of them seems to attract me.” I took a breath, “And the ones who might impress me don’t seem to be interested in me.”

“Why not?” He said, immediately.

“How would I know? You tell me!”

“Well, I don’t find any reason why they wouldn’t be interested in you. I mean you’re beautiful, smart, cultured… Besides, you’re a pure soul.”

“Well maybe because they’re too blind to see that. Or maybe they already know that, but yet… Forget about it!”

Seriously where are we going with this? Can’t he see that it’s him I’m talking about? Can’t he tell that I am in love with him? Isn’t it that obvious? Or should I say it out loud? Maybe then he’ll finally know, and I’ll be relieved. And that fire inside me with stop growing and burning. If only I can tell him. But then, that’s not the right thing to do. What if he rejects me? What will happen to me then? End up like Emily? Heartbroken and pathetic? … No, I won’t let that happen. I can’t tell him. I can’t risk it all.

“Buy a flower for your girlfriend, sir.” A little girl holding a red roses bouquet shew up in our way.

He smiled. And I couldn’t figure out what kind of a smile was it. His girlfriend? …Really?

“Can I have the whole bouquet?” He asked the girl.

“Of course sir.” She handed it to him as he opened his wallet and paid her.

“Thank you very much, sir.” She thanked him, then looked at me and said, “You are a lucky girl, he seems to love you very much.” I looked at him then looked back at the girl and put on a little smile. Then she left.

“Here. It’s yours.” He gave me the roses, his eyes not leaving mine.

“Thank you.” I shyly smiled then looked down.

“You’re blushing.” He didn’t miss to point out.

“Oh really? Am I?” Jeez, I hate when that happens.

“This is embarrassing.” I added.

“No, actually it looks good on you.” He said, looking comfortable with himself. “I like that about you. Actually, there’s something so special about you, so pure, so unique. And it’s really beautiful.”