Chapter 18: April Ball

The picture above I drew for fun. I thought maybe I should put it on here so I did. Moving on;

Fae’s P.O.V

I stared back at my forest green eyes as I looked at my reflection. I sometimes wonder why this was the form I chose for April Wayne, but I’ve grown accustomed to it by now.

The April ball is downstairs. The only thing left to do is make an entrance. I nervously tapped my vanity table with my fingers.

I was okay with fighting bad guys and risking my life but I was extremely nervous of the idea of meeting all those powerful people. If I messed up tonight, then not only will my reputation go down the drain, but I would drag my dad down with me.

It’s funny how easily I’ve been able to switch to my new naming word for Bruce. He’s my dad now and I couldn’t be happier, but a certain amount of pressure comes with being his daughter.

The dress he had gotten me was absolutely beautiful. It matched my April form perfectly. I pretty much just use an illusion, but he matched the appearance of her.

It was a long drees that went down to my ankles. It was an off-the shoulder dress and had a bit of a low back, but not too much to seem unsavory.

It was black at the top and the lace intricates faded downward so that the hem of my skirt was the same green as my eyes. I’m happy that the neckline is not sweetheart because with the low back I don’t think I would be very comfortable.

I had made the illusion have curled hair and red lips. I added some nice shadows to my eyes and a little blush. I didn’t overdue it though, trust me, the people in there are probably going to look like Joker with the amount they pack on they’re faces.

I felt myself blush at the still fresh memory of what I did last night. I've been berating myself about it all day. I just had to chicken out. Oh well.

I heard a knock on the door and I can only assume it was Dick who came to fetch me. I took a deep breath and opened the door. When he saw me he blinked in surprise, I did the same.

He looked amazing in his suite and his icy blue eyes were shining brightly. It wasn’t that I haven’t seen him in a suite before, but he was much older now and it showed.

“Y-you look amazing.” He stuttered and I felt my face heat up a bit and I fought to conceal my blush. I had to play it cool.

“Don’t look too bad yourself Grayson, come on!” I said and grabbed his arm. We walked down the hall with our arms interlocked. As we got closer to the ballroom I heard all of the sounds and my heart rate quickened when I realized how many people would be in there.

When we got to the front of the doors I listened in. Dad was making a whole speech for my entrance and I must say my cover story is pretty good.

Apparently he met me when he was traveling abroad. He met me while he was in Paris. I was a worker, along with my parents at the place he was staying. They were murdered in a break in and I was left an orphan. Now that I thought about it, it sounded a little like Dick’s back story.

I straitened up and waited for him to introduce me. I fiddled with my skirt and bit my lip in anticipation. Right before Dad announced me, I felt Dick’s hand intertwined with mine. I looked up at him and he gave me a comforting smile. I took a deep breath in as he opened the doors.

“Introducing my new daughter, April Wayne!” He said with a smile. I put on a smile and walked down the steps, never leaving Dick’s side. As I made it down I was about to be swarmed by rich people, before the orchestra started playing.

“May I have this dance my lady?” I heard him say. When I looked at him, I saw that he had a hand stretched out to me. He had a smug smile on, showing me the unimportance of the formality. I smiled too and followed his lead as everyone was watching.

“Why of course good sir.” I said in a refined tone. It took all of my willpower not to break down in giggles at this and I took his hand. He lead me to the center of the room and we fell right into place as the music started.

By now everyone had found us very interesting, and had opted to watch us. I saw this and looked at Dick to see our matching smirks. Remember I said Dick and I used to take ballroom dancing together? This was why.

Back before the whole kidnapping fiasco, Dick always invited me to the high class events if he got an extra invite. Now that I think about it, I was probably added to the actual list after a while. The problem with this is that Dick and I didn’t know anything about dancing back when we were little so Bruce put us in a class.

After a couple of practices, Dick and I were already pretty good and were much better than anyone our age. We were even supposed to go to regionals before my parents died. I know that we both really enjoyed it and we knew we could strut our stuff.

When the queue for the music began, Dick and I began with a well timed Quickstep. We glided across the dance floor and every now and then did a nice trick. At one point Dick picked me up by the waist and spun around.

Afterwards the whole room erupted in polite applause and Dick and I managed to make it past the crowd to find Dad. We finally saw him talking to one of his business partners. When he saw us he smiled and walked over.

I loved it when Dad wasn’t Batman, He got to be more social and I could talk to him normally. He came up to me with a couple of others.

“Wonderful you two. I must say you look lovely April.” He said. He seemed to have that high and mighty air just like when he was in his suite. He had obviously been wanting to introduce me to his friends.

“Thank you The dress you picked is absolutely beautiful.” I said with a sweet smile.

I had to make a good impression amongst the public and I think I’ve been doing well so far. I smile and moved to the people who tagged along with him. There was a beautiful woman who seemed to be very close to Dad. I didn’t mind, since it wasn’t my business, but I wonder if he felt the same for her. Her name was Selina Kyle.

Next to him was an old couple. They both seemed rather snooty so I kept the conversation short and sweet. The next person I saw I nearly jumped in my skin.

I had nearly forgotten about Barbara. She was wearing an amazing red dress which accented her body perfectly. She looked stunning.

“Barbara! I didn’t think I’d see you here.” I said with enthusiasm. I really was happy to see her but every time I did see her I could contain myself less and less. I hope I can tell her who I am one day. Even just telling her that I’m alive is good enough.

She smiled a little and gave me a friendly side hug, “Sorry I didn’t come up sooner, but you and Dick seemed to be handling the crowd quite well.”

Over the past couple of weeks of school, Barbara and April had gotten close. I just wish I could be as close as I used to.

After a couple of meetings with people I didn’t know I was socially exhausted and needed some fresh air. I walked outside and onto the outside steps. There was an old water fountain that Dick and I used to run around when we were little. I sat down and stared into the still water.

“A lot on your mind?”

I nearly fell into the water but managed to balance myself before glaring at the smirking Boy Wonder.

“Now you know how it feels when you randomly contact me in the middle of the night.” He said with a big smile. He was leaning against the marble pillar and looked at me.

He came and sat down next to me and stared at our old playground of fun.

“What happened?” He asked suddenly.

“What do you mean?” I asked acting confused. I knew exactly what he was talking about and I was dreading this conversation for weeks.

“What happened to you Fae. I know you act like you were never gone but you were. Four years. What happened in those four years? What happened that you’re so afraid to share.” He said, his voice still quite and calm.

How do I respond to this? How do I lie to him? How do I manage to find the words?

When I said nothing for a minute he spoke again, “I know you need time. But the longer you wait, the more I’m going to look in to it.”

He got up. I didn’t dare stop him as he went back inside, leaving me alone once again.

With him gone it seemed the air around me grew colder and unwelcome. I shivered a little and looked up at the stars and moon.

What was I going to do? If I lie, he will know. If I tell him the truth I risk him hating me. My head spun as I tried to think in all directions. I don’t know how I was going to fix this.

A tear slipped down my cheek as near hopelessness surrounded me. I wiped it away and composed myself.

I would not show weakness again. I would find a way or so help me I will kill Lex myself. He’s the reason all this happened and this just gave me the means to see my vengeance clearly again.

Dick will never know. I would rather die with my secrets.