Chapter 20: A Chance

Kidnap Zatana they said.
It'll be fun they said.

I grumbled as I watched her giggle and make a smart comment.

I liked Zatana, I really did. She was a sweet girl and even knew the right greeting for the Titania or Oberon.

For those of you who don’t know who she is, Zatana is the daughter of Zatara from the Justice League. She is an Anddroff so we don’t share the same magic, but at least someone else does mystic spells other than me.

The reason I was so resentful that we had taken her on the trip, was because of the very close proximity she was in to Dick. They both laughed and smiled at what the other was saying and I felt a green monster of jealousy growing in my stomach.

She and he seemed to be getting along smoothly and I just looked away with a small frown as he said something and they both doubled over laughing. I had experienced this before when I had first become friends with Barbara, so I was hoping the feeling would fade over time.

We were in the Bio Ship and were heading out to look into a lead for Red Tornado. Since Zatana wasn’t an official part of the team, we had to ‘kidnap’ her. It was a long shot, but there was a chance we could find Tornado.

The last couple of days, Dick and I took it easy. After the crash, I healed quickly due to my powers, but Dick wasn’t as fortunate and had taken most of the week to be able to go back to the cave with me. School was an even bigger mess up because we had to come up with a reason as to why both of us looked like we had gotten shoved through moving fan blades.

It was pretty hard for me since I healed so fast that people may have gotten suspicious, so I acted to be still in the healing process when I was completely fine. Dick on the other hand didn’t have to worry about that.

In my opinion, Dick’s excuse was mundane. He had said that he accidentally fell down the stairs. Me? Well I managed to roller blade into the kitchen while Alfred was mopping and went into the knife drawer when I slipped on the wet floor.

Trust me when I say, Artemis had a mixed expression when she heard my reason for my bandages. I think it was a mix between amusement, loosing a bit of respect for me and trying to feel sympathy. Honestly I wanted to bust out laughing, but my ribs were bruised in the crash and I would probably damage it more if I moved too much.

Over the last two weeks, the team had become restless and wanted to go and look for Tornado. I myself became a little impatient. It had been a whole fortnight and they still hadn’t found him. It was also starting to get on my nerve that they all treated us like kids.

Sure we were young and unexperienced, but we were anything but children. Dick grew up when he was eight, I did when I was twelve. My guess is that Artemis had a similar experience.

Sure the others were a little childish when it came to responsibilities, but nearly all of us have had enough happen to us that we should be treated as equals. It’s one of the reasons why I never really took on a mentor from the League.

Sure Batman was my father, but he was Dick’s mentor and my powers didn’t completely fit in their description. Artemis was obviously a Green Arrow protégé and Aqualad was the student of Aquaman.

Wally already told me he worked with his uncle Barry, the Flash and Miss M had her uncle Martian Manhunter. Superboy was technically the son of superman, so I guess that counts?

All I’m trying to say is that none of the people on the league really described the best mentor for my abilities. I’m the only fairy left and an Anddroff wouldn’t be able to help me with anything.

In the end I guess I’m going to be the first hero of my type. A fairy hero. Don’t really think about that when you think of iconic super heroes like in comic books do ya?

It was pretty nice having a fellow caster on the team though. The sad part is we can’t really relate too much because she’s an Anddroff and I’m a Fairy.

There has always been a separation between our two races, due to the different ways we channel manna. In the olden days, Anddroffs were looked down upon and Fairies were highly ranked. Luckily that way of thinking stopped centuries ago and since then our kind has seen each other as equals.

We don’t have much in common in the end though. The spells we cast are different too. Anddroffs use backwards tongue, while Fairies use an ancient language passed down from generations.

I didn’t get much time with her though, cause soon the team started asking questions. I was fine with it till she made a word play towards Dick and I seethed. That was our thing.

After a while I started clawing into my armrest with the anger I felt, only to be scolded by M’gann for hurting the ship. I had anger issues and weird ways to let out steam. Soon I didn’t have to though, since they called for stealth mode.

My stealth mode was pretty much just turning everything that wasn’t black, Grey. I already was in a mostly black costume so it didn’t change much.

Zatana transformed into her modern style magician outfit and headed out. Like I said before, I really did like her, I just didn’t like her with Dick.

We all headed out as quitely as possible to the location of Red Tornado, when we stopped to look around. Robin pulled out his wrist computer and it showed the layout of the land.

“Ivo was right. Somethings down there.” He said. Did I forget to mention that our info came from the notorious Dr. Ivo? Yeah, when your lead comes from a guy in an orange prison suite, you’d think we’d be more cautious.

Aqualad moved forwards and we followed suite. We ran until dust started gathering by our feet and rose up into the air. The wind around us suddenly picked up and sand began flying into our sides, slightly prickling us with the impact.

It rose higher and higher at the command of the strengthening wind. Soon it felt like we were being pushed back and all of us fought against it, but we were blown back. Looking up it revealed the very android we had been looking for, Red Tornado.

He summoned one of his signature red tornadoes while we were down and it headed straight for us and started splitting up and surrounded us with about a dozen red tornadoes, blocking our way out. As this was happening I heard M’gann scream over the wind.

“Why Tornado?! Why are you doing this?!” I heard her.

We didn’t get a clear answer but behind him I saw the words ‘Play Dead’ had been blown into the sand. All of us finally understood and we played along.

Red Tornado was on our side all along.

When he didn’t respond and more tornadoes started forming around us I heard M’gann in my head with a slightly relieved tone, ‘Message received.’

Superboy acted angry and yelled, “Who cares why?! Nail him!” He yelled and we all got the memo. Aqualad started shouting out maneuvers and everyone tried to combat the red robot with something. I was at a bit of an impasse because my one word spells would either be useless or blown away and flying wasn’t an option either.

Illusions would be no use to an android and I couldn’t really use telepathy on him. My only quick option was to get my weapons out. I would use my spell book, but with this wind, I don’t think I could hold a page still enough.

I summoned my white staff and turned it into a double bladed electric and wind based sword. What? I had to make this look real right?

I cut through the air and was about to attack after Wally and M’gann when literally every single tornado around us came crashing down on me. Really Tornado? I know I pack a punch but couldn’t you not pummel me with over fourteen tornadoes.

All the force around me knocked the air out and before I could stop it, it sucked the oxygen from my lungs. I couldn’t breath and I felt the corners of vision darken a bit.

Luckily he stopped suffocating me short of blacking out and I acted as if I had been killed. I could hear Zatana being chocked before everything calmed down.

Even with the calm I didn’t dare move a muscle and I was as still as a rock. I guess I was right to do so, because before every storm, there’s always a calm.

A new android came up behind Tornado and was apparently another sibling we had to worry about. Unfortunately he knew about Red Tornado’s scheme, and unlike him, wasn’t on our side.

He started throwing rocks at all of us and I quickly dodged them. I grinded my teeth together when I heard Robin through the mind link as he shamelessly flirted with Zatana.

I decided to block them out before anything else happened and wanted to let out some steam. The new sibling, aka Volcano, was one powerful guy and created a large pit right under us with his seemingly earthly powers. I summoned my wings and Artemis caught Aqualad as he came out.

After a couple more hits, the robot made a snide comment and said he knew all our moves because he had Tornado’s memories. Bad move.

Now we knew what to do. The only problem was that he just mad a volcano erupt. Well that should speed up global warming.

We all looked up in terror as ash rose into the air and lava spewed from the vents. The air became hot and it was harder to breathe. No doubt this is going to be taking a massive toll on poor M’gann.

I heard a panicked Wally in my head, ‘He’s activating a stage two eruption. It gets to stage three? Kiss the hemisphere goodbye.

Hit him from all sides.’ I heard Kaldur respond and SB jumped forward, only to get smacked down by a rock. Ooh, that’s going to hurt in the morning.

M’gann tried to attack too, but ended up being caught and held by the fire. Luckily Zatana did a duplication spell and Wally managed to grab her.

Before I could do anything, water erupted from the ground and hit Volcano with a lot of force, knocking him to the side. We all looked at Kaldur in surprise but it turned out to be one of the other Tornado siblings. They for some reason like us now.

Ugh, really? I want a chance to fight too! I huffed and looked at Zatana with a smirk and linked up our telepathy.

Remember how I said I liked Zatana? Well there was another reason as to why, other than being magical creatures. Before we left, she and I discussed a certain spell.

Hey Zatana, wanna try out our new spell?’ I asked with a smirk.

Of course Titania. Trust me when I say my dad’s going to be jealous that I got to do it.’ She said with a happy tone.

We both ran at the robot and recited the same word.

Recils!” we both shouted and from both of us came a long trail of manna. Mine was light blue and hers was purple. Together they mixed to form a flaming blade and it rode up into the air and sliced Volcanoes arms off in a clean motion.

Normally humans react in pain, but this guy just kept thrashing around till Tornado’s siblings had to sacrifice themselves to save everyone. Luckily Tornado reversed the effects of the volcano, but he lost his two new family members.

In spite of that, I turned on my heal and high fived Zatana. We both smiled and I said, “Not bad for an Anddroff.”

“Likewise Fairy.” She said and we both giggled. I was relieved to feel the slight hate I had felt for her before slip away and I genuinely enjoyed her company.

“What the hell did you two just pull?” Artemis asked as the rest of the team looked after Tornado. I let Zatana explain.

“That was a combination of Anddroff and Fairy magic. There’s only one spell that can do it and we managed to cast it during the fight. The reason it works that way is because the two magic tongues use the same word when casting that spell, making it possible to cast it together.” She said and I just nodded with everything she said.

Artemis seemed a little confused but excepted the fact that it was a mystic thing and went back to the others. Zatana and I smirked and started talking endlessly to each other.

She really is a nice person once you get to know her when she isn’t around the love of your life. She and I had a lot in common and I could finally have someone who somewhat understood the stress of maintaining mana control, balance and energy up during casting.

Soon we all headed back to the lab that Tornado and his new family had been hiding out in for the last couple of weeks. When we got there he told us everything.

The only real reason he left was to protect the team from any further threats and to find Morrow, his creator. It was pretty sad, but at least his siblings didn’t die in vain. I’ve only been back for a while, and even I don’t want to think what it would be like if I lost Wally.

We managed to fix him up as good as possible and got back in the ship where my seething jealousy reignited. Dick was flirting, I mean come on! It was obvious.

I angrily looked out the window to take my mind off of it but instead my anger turned to sadness. Was I wrong to think that he maybe, just maybe wanted me? Was it wrong to assume that I was the only girl he knew.

Even after all this time I hadn’t really given the thought of another girl much attention and now it was hitting me hard. I saw how he laughed and joked with her and all I could feel was jealousy, but shouldn’t I be happy for him?

He deserved happiness and I was being an ass to think that it would be me. I cursed myself for being so naïve.

I got lost in thousands of thoughts and questions about my judgment before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to meet the eyes of Zatana.

“Can we talk?” She asked. It wasn’t an angry or judging tone, but was a worried and sad one. I was confused but stood up anyways, following her to the back of the ship.

Once there she turned around with a sad face,

“What did I do wrong?” she asked

I was taken aback by this and blinked in surprise, “Come again?”

“What did I do? One moment I think you like me, but the next you look like you’re about to murder me.” She said and I let out a small ‘oh’ as I realized what she was talking about.

I sighed and explained, “Sorry, I like you Zatana, I think you would be a great friend, it’s just that I… when I see you and him…”

I swallowed my words and looked down in shame. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

“Who are you- wait. Robin?! Titania, he looks like he could be my male twin!” She shouted. And that my friends is when face palming didn’t cut it so I hit my head against the wall.

How didn’t I see it before?! The black hair, is the same. Even if she doesn’t know his eye color, they both have blue eyes! And both have similar structures. They looked like siblings!

“Uum.. Oops?” I said once I turned back to her unamused expression. She rolled her eyes.

“Damn, you got it bad if you’re this jealous. How long have you known this guy?” she asked. I twiddled my fingers with the embarrassment I felt and quitely said.

“Nine years.”

I saw her expression change to surprise as she stated, “That explains it.”

I laughed nervously and cleared my throat. A moment of awkward silence passed by us and it felt weirder than it should be. After a while Zatana broke the silence.

“Don’t worry too much about the other girls.” She said and started walking away and back to the rest of the group.

“His eyes don’t look anywhere but you.” She said with a smirk before she left, leaving me with a scarlet red face.

I just stood there for about a minute before I regained my, senses and headed back to the others. I sat down, still a light blush plastered on my cheeks.

Dick turned in his chair to face me, “Everything okay? You look like you might have caught a fever.”

I snorted, “I haven’t gotten sick in four years.”

“Well for all I know you have some sort of virus. Are you sure you’re oaky?” he asked. I smiled a little at his concern for my well being.

“I’m fine, besides, what would you do if I was down for the count?” I asked. He seemed dead serious as the next sentence left his mouth.

“Take care of you.”

Without another word he turned back around so that I couldn’t see his face. I felt my cheeks redden even more and my heart skip a beat.

Maybe Zatana was right.

I might just have a chance.

A/n: Yess gurl! Now all you have to do is tell him how you feel! Honestly, even I'm getting impatient and I'm the author. Don't worry though, soon you will see what you have all been waiting for. I can't wait and hope you guys get tuned in.

Another thing is... Thank you so much! I got the 12th position in young justice for a couple of days and I was in apsolute happiness. I can't believe I made it this far but I know I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Thanks for reading

Lots of love

Ivy