Chapter 33: Good Talk Dad

Fae’s P.O.V

My breath hitched and my hand twisted tightly at the railing. My stare at the glass didn’t waver, knowing that if I looked him in the eye the amount of fear and anxiety would be clear. I had seen this coming a mile away when we got off the ship. The look he was giving me made it obvious something was wrong. My only thoughts ran back to the last unresolved problem we had…

I know you need time. But the longer you wait, the more I’m going to look in to it…

The question still stands… was my time up? I had been avoiding this conversation for over a month now since the ball. I hadn’t exactly been told what my time limit was, but by the looks of things I couldn’t hide from it any more.

“I know” I sighed, turning to face him, “I’ve been running away from this subject for a while now. I guess you could tell.”

He moved close to me and took my hands in his and made me look him in the eyes. I saw his sad eyes bore into mine, engraving every little streak of his ice blue eyes into my memory.

“I don’t want to Fae. I don’t want to find out on my own. Why… why won’t you just tell me? Please” He nearly pleaded. We both knew what it meant if I didn’t answer now. Both of us knew that we couldn’t stay like this.

“I wish… I wish it was that simple, it would have been if I told you from the start but after everything I’ve done… I don’t think you’d forgive me.” I said mirroring his sad smile.

“But-“

I cut him off by kissing him. It was a gentle but desperately passionate kiss. I wanted it last forever because I knew this would probably be the last time I could touch him like this. I knew what this meant, and I think he did too.

I reluctantly pulled away and his hands fell from mine. As I turned around I could feel the tears running down my face. This wasn’t what I wanted, it wasn’t what I wanted at all.

“It’s not just about me anymore.” I said quietly.

It was true, Malick wasn’t just after me anymore. He was after my family and team. He and Lex both know my secret identity and would take down anyone I have left in a heartbeat if I disobeyed.

He knows that all I had left when they took me wasn’t exactly blood related, but we’re everything to me. They don’t know about Dick and Wally being able to take care of themselves, but what about Barbara? There weren’t just superheroes in my life and when I became one it became my responsibility to look out and protect them.

“Please… please don’t walk away. I promise no matter what, I’ll forgive you… just… don’t leave.” He said desperately trying to hold on. I knew he was looking straight into my back but I knew if I turned around right now and saw his face, I’d tell him everything.

“It’s not about me Dick. If I don’t do this… a lot of people could get hurt. My past isn’t something I’m proud of, I tried to hide from it and leave all that behind me, but it’ll always be there and I have to face it. Alone or else the people… the family I love will be gone.” By now I had gotten his attention and he was probably quizzically looking at the back of my head.

“But the thing is… even if I want to tell you, I won’t. Knowing you, you’d try and help me with it!” I chuckled softly. I felt him straighten up behind me.

“You know me too well, you know that?” He said. I felt my throat hitch and it took every bit of will power in my being not to sob. I tried my best not to choke on my next words.

“I hope when this is over you’ll forgive me.” I said walking away. Once I had made it past the door and out of earshot I started running.

The tears in my eyes blurred the path a little, but the moment I got to the zeta beam I slammed open the old telephone booth and took to the skies still rubbing at my face, trying to get them to stop crying . I immediately took to the sky and went as fast as I could, breaking the sound barrier. Luckily my stupid self still remembered to put on my illusion so most just cried out in surprise and confusion.