Chapter 30: Ass Hat Of An Uncle

I walked into the cave but was met with silence. I rolled my eyes and yelled out to them, “Guys, Wally isn’t even up before 7:30,what makes you think he would be here 5 in the morning?”

The rest of the team sheepishly came out of their hiding spots and switched on the light. There was food and balloons spread across the counter and a couple of other festive decorations.

Today was Wally’s birthday.

We were all planning to throw a surprise party, not just for him, but to lighten the mood a little. Ever since a week ago when we lost Zatara, it’s been pretty quiet around here.

Even if it wasn’t on the best conditions, Zatana was finally part of the team. It wasn’t exactly the best way to join but I was happy there was finally another spell caster on the team. Kaldur didn’t count because he didn’t physically cast the spells.

The moment she joined I would have loved to exchange spells and talk about all sorts of things, but instead I decided to keep my distance. It was my family, no matter how distant, who had done this. But I have made some progress at least.

I felt terrible when I couldn’t convince Nabu to let Zatara go. It’s one thing to lose a parent, it’s another to lose the only one you’ve got. From what I learned, Zatana’s mother died when she was young and she grew up with her Dad. I can only remember the pain from when I lost my mom and dad back when I was twelve.

I walked up to her with a weak smile as she was finished putting up the banner with Kaldur. She gave me a forced smile and my guilt intensified. I quickly torpedoed into her for a bear hug. We let go and she stared at me quizzically.

“What’s this for?” She asked and I finally came clean.

“I just feel guilty. I mean, I didn’t talk to you all week cause I felt terrible.” I said.

“Elaborate.” She said, an eyebrow raised. I sighed and explained.

“Nabu isn’t exactly anything new to me. I’d have to go back centuries to explain it in detail, but the gist of it is he’s my great uncle.” I said, rubbing the back of my neck.

Surprise and confusion filled her features and her arms crossed. She was taller than me, so even with what I faced she seemed a little intimidating. I then explained everything.

***(don’t feel like repeating myself)

One explanation later….

“So your uncle is Dr. Fate?” She asked full of skepticism.

I nodded with my eyes looking down at the floor to get me some form of comfort from her icy cold eyes. What I didn’t expect was to see her facial features soften and her sigh.

“It isn’t your fault. Even if he is your family, I was the one who put the helmet on in the first place. It’s already great that you tried.” She said bitter sweetly.

I put a hand on her shoulder and a bright smile covered my face as I got to my good news, “Well I didn’t just come here for bad news.”

She looked up at me with confusion and I explained, “After a lot of reasoning with my ass hat of an uncle, I managed to get a deal out of him. He even gave me his word he would follow it.”

Seeing I had made her curious, I continued, “I have an ability, or rather the pass to go into Nabu’s Inner Abise. I made a deal with him that every week, preferably a Saturday, I am allowed to take you with me for the whole day to see your father.”

I don’t know what it meant but her eyes started to water and she tackled me in a huge hug. I took this as a good sign, but I wasn’t finished.

“Also, I don’t know if this is any consolation, but Nabu gave me a contract. One that I think you can help me with.” She parted from me with furrowed brows.

“I made a deal with him. If I can bring back Silvalia, he will release Zatara in full.” I said., “There is a chance that the people of Silvalia are alive. The confirmation that the Cronum is real gives me hope that one day, maybe not as soon as I would like, but one day I can defeat the Heathens and bring back Silvalia. When I do, Nabu will want to use the body of a fairy. Not that I think any of them will be very willing, but he will release Zatara when the Kingdom is restored.”

Through this all tears had been freely flowing from her eyes and when I finished she hugged me tightly. I hugged back, knowing this must be more than a bit overwhelming. She pulled back and furiously rubbed her eyes, trying to get rid of the tears. She had a bright smile despite her tear stained cheeks.

“Thank you so much Titania. You have no idea how amazing this is.” She said, biting back sobs.

“I forgot to tell you, but my names Fae. And trust me when I say I understand more than anyone here. I’m just happy I can be there for someone who’s going through something similar.” I said.

She gave a sweet smile and I laughed a little out loud. She looked a little confused but I explained.

“I can’t believe we didn’t get along before!” I said. Honestly, we were so much alike.

“Hey, you’re the one who assumed I was about to go after Rob.” She said with her hands up in defense. We both laughed till I felt a presence behind me.

“Yeah, hard to believe she was so possessive taking that she left without me this morning.” I heard from behind. I turned around with a sheepish smile and nervously laughed when I saw Dick’s pissed off face. Oops?

“He hehe…. Sorry about that. I Um… I may have forgotten about you?” I said. His eyes narrowed and all I could do to defend myself from his practiced bat glare was to counter it with my puppy dog eyes. Needless to say I won.

“Arrrgh, I can’t stay mad at you! Damn the puppy dog eyes.” He muttered. I winked at him and passed him to go somewhere else. I saw his cheeks redden and with satisfaction left, my goal of flustering him complete.

I may be a hero but even I can be evil sometimes.

He had been a little angry over the whole flirting with Klarion thing. I had to apologize and had to tell him I really didn’t want to do it over and over again. What girl in their right mind would? Klarion is a perverted evil little devil.

After kissing him and reassuring him I wouldn’t leave him for the spawn of Satan, he was still angry at the guy. Not that I’m complaining, besides, he’s kinda hot when he’s jealous. Not gonna lie.

I didn’t get very far before I felt arms slither around my hips and squealed when I felt my feet leave the floor. “Robin put me down!”

“Nope” He said and I narrowed my eyes before bending backwards to see him. Most people say I’m too flexible, I say this is what happens when you grow up with an acrobat. I smirked and pecked him on the nose. He seemed surprised and his grip loosened a bit, allowing me wriggle free.

He stood there, still in the same position with a confused face. I laughed and Artemis came up to him with an amused face.

“You my dear friend are officially whipped.” She said, patting his shoulder.

“I am not-“ He was about to counter but instead I just walked away, swaying my hips. I winked back and saw his cheeks redden.

“Okay fine, I am so whipped.” He said staring at me.

“Hey watch where you’re looking!” I said jokingly noticing he was looking at me strut. A smirk grew on his face as he spoke.

“Just enjoying the view.” He said. My face flared and I immediately stopped what I was doing.

“You pervert!” I yelled out. Everyone laughed and I just sulked. He came up to me and sat down on the floor next to me as I sat embarrassed.

“Oh come on Fae, I was just joking. Not that the view wasn’t good…” He drifted. I hit him in the back of his head and he laughed. He opened his arms as a truce and I grumbled as I hugged him and buried my head into his chest.

“Ass.” I said.

“I love you too.” He said and I rolled my eyes.

We soon got up from off the floor to see Zatana fangirling. I face-palmed and went towards the snack table. That girl was something else.

Since Wally was such a bottomless pit, M’gann made two cakes. I swear that girl is oblivious. You see, Wally has bean flirting with her from day one. Then again, he flirts with everyone.

But I know for a fact that he’s doing it to make up for the secret stares he sends Artemis. I know how Wally works, the moment he really likes a girl, he’ll try everything to avoid suspicion. Right now M’gann is his scapegoat, as messed up as that is. But I can see it is chipping away at poor Artemis’s resolve.

She looks so broken whenever he talks to another girl, even if most don’t see the way she tries to look away. Even if she denies it, Artemis is hurt.

I wish those two idiots would just admit how they feel already! I mean, they are perfect for each other. They may seem the opposite but that’s what makes it the best match. For every stupid thing Wally does, Artemis can scold the living daylights out of him.

So far the stupidest thing is not going after her. Come on big bro, have some balls and ask her out!

I hope he grows a pear soon, because she might slip away. Then again, it took me about nine years to confess so I shouldn’t start criticizing. I just… I can’t stand seeing both of them so torn. I just wish he would stop acting like that and leave M’gann be. He’s just digging his own grave.

But I can’t get involved, at least not yet.

But besides the whole drama recently and loses, we still haven’t figured out the next location of the Cronum. There are just so many possibilities and if we went to every location we could think of, we wouldn’t even be done searching by the time the Heathens show up.

Since the news of the impending invasion, I’ve been on edge and barely got a good night’s sleep. I even snuck up to the library and read a bit to get my mind off it. But at least I have Dick.

I don’t know how he does it, but every time I’m near him calm washes over me like a cool vail of water. When I kiss him and hold him tight He and I are the only ones who matter. The only ones who exist. So despite this all I can’t help but feel…

Hope.

I know I haven’t really had much of it in my life so having it now is a new but welcome feeling. Despite the things I’m hiding. Despite the doom lurking over us. Despite the pain and persistence of my past.

I have him.

He lights up my whole world like the stars light up the night sky. He makes me feel safe in a world just about ready to take me down. He loves me despite the marks and the broken pieces.

And yet I still can’t tell him.

I can’t tell him about my past. I’ve even gotten to the point where I know it’ll be okay to tell him what happened. I know he loves me and what I have to say isn’t going to change that but I’m scared. I’m scared even if I know he’ll still be there. I’m scared that I’ll hurt him by not telling him all along

I’m still scared of losing him.

Let’s face it, my life has been anything but rainbows and sunshine but he has always stuck by me. Even in that stupid torture chamber in Flux I still had him with me, even if just in my heart.

Dick has been the only reason I’m alive. He is the only reason I didn’t just kill myself in that stupid cell, and trust me I thought about it. The times were dark back then, but I can’t deny how badly it affected me.

I’m not the same person anymore. I lost a lot of my empathy and trust in those sickening white hallways.

As much as I seem to act as if I’ve forgotten about Flux, my memories still haunt me. After all, that’s where this whole mess started. Sometimes I wonder how I could have changed so much over the years but then I remember what they did to me and I know it made me stronger, but it broke me too.

I suppress my memories from that place as much as I can but, those little specks of blood on the ceiling and the taste of coppery blood in my mouth is still fresh in my mind. I know that it was something that I had to get over step by step.

I had always been very good at giving other people advice growing up because I had a different viewpoint than others. I gave advice to people I barely knew about love, friendship and moral  even if I myself had no experience. I don’t know why, but I had always been able to empathize and organize my thoughts in an understanding manner.

But now my empathy for my own situation has been thrown out of whack and I don’t know what to do. I’m so used to dealing with these things away from people and now it sucks to include them.

“Guys! The Zeta beam is opening! Hide!” M’gann yelled and switched off the light. We all got in position and stayed silent. We were lucky Wally came when he did because the moment he stepped inside the zeta beams went offline because of the decreasing temperature and the severity of the weather outside. I had to admit that it was rather cold today and I found it weird that it started to snow this badly this early this year.

I didn’t question it further but luckily I had a nice warm coat and I remembered to bring anything to stop the cold from seeping through my layers of cotton. Even if it did it wouldn’t bother me as much because of how used to it I am.

I had been subjected to extreme cold while in Flux and for the first few weeks of escaping, I didn’t exactly have the money for warm clothes. Honestly being back in the manor was daunting when I first got there.

I had learned to get by with the little things in life back then. I didn’t have the luxury of a big bed or Hot chocolate when I couldn’t close my eyes and drift off. I got food and shelter sure, but I just didn’t have what I do now. Not that I minded.

I had more than some other kids did in my sort of situation. Some kids are too young too Work and honestly I was too, but with my illusion in, getting a job at the dinner wasn’t a problem. There are kids out there that can’t get a stable job and I was lucky enough to have the power and education to figure out what I was supposed to do.

When we turned on the lights and surprised Wally a smile shone on my face as I felt my eyes wonder across the room. Faces illustrious in joy and snide comments being thrown made it hard to remember my past. I know it was something horrible that I went through but right now I was the luckiest person in the world.

“Think we should tell him? ” Artemis mused while talking  next to me.

Turning my gaze to my flirtatious brother and his measly and downright awful attempts to obtain a kiss from M’gann I knew what she meant. Dick, Zatana and I, who up till now were talking about Zatana moving in, turned our head in his direction.

“He is the only one who doesn’t know.” Dick smirked, pointing out the fact that Wally indeed was the only one of us who didn’t know about Connor and M’gann’s relationship.

We had wanted to tell him before but watching his useless attempts to win M’gann over had been amusing and we had nothing better to do than watch. In all honesty though, it was just starting to become annoying.

“Please, I mean, my inner shipper is killing me.” I said.

Artemis walked past us in a victorious manner after saying, “Then please, allow me.”

I watched her go ahead and whisper into Wally’s ear. I could see that the sudden closeness of her there was already grabbing his attention. When his eyes widened and he looked at M’gann and Conner, I couldn’t see relief flash through him for a split second before acting as if he was upset. I knew that he was hoping this would happen, he just didn’t know it before.

Dick, Zatana and I shared a glance when we looked at the two and shared knowing smirks. I know all of us are thinking the same thing.

Before long we got called into a mission so we had to end the party and go on it, but I couldn’t help but smile at how peaceful this part of today was. I know for a fact that there are days where we’re trying so hard not to die or days where we sit in the debriefing room for hours trying to figure out where the Cronum is.

Today I felt more normal than I have in a long time.

A/n: Okay, before ya'll kill me, let me just say I'm sorry. I know that I didn't update when I was supposed to but for some reason it was really hard to write this chapter. Despite me finally having a storyline in my head to follow, I just had major writers block with this chapter.

Quick shout out to Ignia04 for always being there for the latest updates and voting every single time. Thank you so much for always reading and giving support, honestly you are one of the people who helped push me this far.

Thanks for reading

Lots of love

Ivy