Chapter 38: Throwing Blades Like Pokémon

Dick’s P.O.V

A cold gasp shot from my lungs and I coughed as I adjusted to the conscious transfer. M'gann couldn’t make the landing any less pleasant could she?

I felt my body move sluggishly, it functioned alright but all my senses felt as if they’d been muffled by a blanket. I looked around and the off white walls and long hallway was all I could see.

I don’t know what it is, but this place felt eerily familiar. Maybe it was the small spots of blood on the ceiling or the industrial lights but something felt off.

And then I heard a scream.

Suddenly a rush of memories washed up in my head. About 4 months ago… Fae she-she showed me this before. It all came crashing back and I felt my stomach lurch. No doubt the reason the memories were hazy till now were Fae’s doing.

I ran breathlessly towards the horrible scream, running and running as fast as I could to catch up with it. The hallway almost seemed like an endless trap that I couldn’t get out of. If what I think is happening in her mind right now is right I think I might actually be sick. There was no way I would let this happen again.

I skidded down the hallway and back down a long winded corridor. The screaming just got louder and louder and worse and worse and I could feel my heart aching every time I heard it.

I was getting close as I heard Fae’s normal cursing, but something was seriously wrong. Instead of her normal outright godly trash talk that she boasted so much about, I heard her voice shaking…. Pleading.

“No… no… Pl-please no. N-no…. I- please let me go….” I heard from the final door down to his left and sprinted down and slammed the door open. When I saw the room I wanted to throw up.

The man she had mentioned before that had blackmailed her stood over Fae with a crazed smile, a syringe in hand. Fae herself looked a mess of gashes and blood. Tears streamed down her face and her hair was hanging in front of her eyes. I winced as it felt the longer he looked at her, the worse her injuries were.

“Fae!”

***

Fae’s P.O.V

No.

No please, please don’t tell me this is real.

Please tell me that I’m going to wake up next to Dick on the couch with hot Cheetos in his hair and the movie from the previous night finished. Please tell me this is one hellish nightmare.

Please.

“Aaaaagh!” I screamed as I felt a blade dissect into my thigh, no anesthesia applied.

No no no no. Please no. I can’t do this. I trained so hard that this would never happen. I just got Dick back, I couldn’t lose him.

I kept thinking these things, but as the pain struck my body over and over again, slowly I felt my resolve breaking little by little. I started realizing how hopeless it was that I would get out of here.

Had it all been a dream? Had I never actually left this place? Had I given myself hope for a damned future even here?

It’s hopeless.

I felt tears slip from my eyes without warning. I’m finished, I’m done. It was one thing to have everything taken away once, but now I was done. Nothing mattered anymore, no one was coming to save me.

I was alone.

I felt another needle pierce my arm and I gasped out at the burning sensation it sent up my arm. I felt the corners of my vision darken and I knew the feeling of lightheadedness.

Please anyone, please just save me. Please just don’t let this happen again.

“Fae!”

If I had the energy I would have snapped up at that voice, Sweet Silvalia I loved that voice, but it was initially my head just slowly rolling in that direction. I chastised myself that it was just my mind giving me false hope.

But when I saw him, the absolute horror in his eyes at what he was seeing, I had never seen that in him before. I watched as he rushed the room. Deen wasn’t giving up without a fight though, he lunged for his  operatory tools and threw the particularly sharp ones in the direction of my boyfriend.

I wanted to help but my whole body was numb, the gashes the only thing letting me know I hadn’t lost all feeling in them. I watched helplessly as Dr. Deen started chucking blades like Pokémon at Dick who in turn tried his best to dodge and disarm the fricken lunatic.

Why are my greatest enemies always the crazy ones? Like bitch, I got Deen, Lex and the Joker as some of my most interesting encounters and all of them need at least 5 different therapists. I couldn’t get a mentally stable villain at least once could I now?

Dick looked around before grabbing one of the bloodied towels from the table next to her, making the medical instruments clatter to the floor. He quickly got in close range to Deen and twisted the fabric around his arms decapitating them before kicking the man back into the wall with a resounding crack. I saw Dick was about the kick the everloving crap out of him even further but a labored breath left my mouth in a hiss of pain when I tried to move my lower body.

I saw him stop his advance to the crazy practitioner and with a clenched fist came towards me instead. I glanced away as I could feel his sad gaze drift over my broken body.

Why did he have to see me like this? As low as I am now in a pitiful state. I was hoping I’d never have to let him see me like this, this shattered.

I felt the bindings on my body loosen and slide from my limbs and winched as gentle hands slowly put me down off of the chair. Before I could blink Dick’s loving arms made their way around me and held me as tightly as he dared. I could feel his heart racing inside his chest and his shaking figure holding me like he’d never let go.

“I’m… I’m so sorry.” He whispered.

I doubt I had ever heard his voice that hoarse, nor had I ever heard it as small. I just nodded a little as I felt myself quaking, I held tightly to him and wrapped my arms around him feeling like a child again. I felt him rock back and forth a little as I felt tears drip down my face and onto his back. He shushed me and just stayed there with me on the floor, holding me.

There was so much damage in this little mind of mine. There was so much baggage I doubt even a cruise could ship it all away. I was a scarred creature, painted with gashes far deeper than the eye could possibly trace. I was a fountain of emotions that held broken wishes down at its bottom, just waiting to spill over.

So I cried.

I cried and I cried and I cried.

I let everything wash over, let all the hurt and pain Sting as much as it needed too. I cried for every scar and every insult thrown to my face. I cried so much I doubted it was possible I could cry any more. I cried for the 3 years I was held a prisoner and the 3 years they slowly tore away the humanity that I had to stitch back. I cried, truly cried for the first time in years.

I let the pain wash over everything.

And it was okay.

Because he was here with me.

I have no clue how long we were there, me a bloody, broken mess of tears and him a disheveled boy trying to hold it all together. I feel as if I could be with him here always just like this but there was something else I needed, something that could ground me, take me away from this place.

I held close to him as my dry voice managed to rasp out, “Let’s go home Dick.”

He pulled away from me and I saw his own eyes were leaking and a small smile came to him, “Yeah… that sounds… asterous.”

He took my small frame and in a moment he had me in a comfortable bridal style, hanging from his neck. He gave one of the sweetest smiles while making sure I was alright and taking me out of my worst horror come to life. As we headed down the hall, a strange thing happened and the walls started to fade, the industrial white lights vanished and blurred away.

“What in Dumbledore’s Ping Pong table is going on here!?” I yelped, regretting my idiotic decision as a pain stung at my side. That damn Deen was a hell of a doctor alright. Can tell that bitch never took the Hypocrites oath of no harm.

Suddenly the scene changed to a city skyline atop Gotham the sun just barely was starting to rise and the whole city became a blaze of pretty purples and pinks from the dawn. I stared out and felt the wind crisp as the breath I was inhaling brought fresh air to my lungs.

I knew this feeling, this experience would never leave me after all.

“This-… this is the day I escaped.” I breathed staring out to the city below me, “But how-“

“I think I can explain that.” Dick said with a sigh, “This is all in your mind. After you got taken… I was able to get to you but the damage was already done…. So I had to come here with you.”

I blinked and stared out to the rest of the skyline, looking to the whole world, well that sure would explain a lot I guess…, “So all of that… it was in my head?”

I felt a myself being pulled closer and a kiss being placed on my forehead, “Yeah… everything you see is in the past. Right now I can only hope we’re at the base, maybe Artemis is beating Wally’s ass at Mario Kart and Kaldur is baking another one of those cakes.”

I felt myself crack a smile. That means… he really did save me. I thought that it was exactly like before where I was taken but I was wrong. This time it was different. Things have changed.

“What do you mean maybe? Wally sucks at Mario Kart.” I laughed gazing at the sun rising above the horizon.

The scene shifted once again and I saw myself in the woods once again, the very trees I had left behind months ago. I gasped as the small cabin I had lived in for so long came to view and an unknown longing came to mind. I had really missed this place far more than I thought I did.

“Fae, where in the world are we?” Dick asked, walking through the worn training grounds with me still held in his arms.

I smiled as I looked around at the forest that had been my home for almost a year. This was where I was free for the first time and this was where I learnt what I was capable of. I turned to Dick with a smile as I stared at the clearing I had made.

“This is where Titania was born. This is where I trained and learnt about my powers.” I said looking over to the tree I used as combat practice and gave a wistful sigh, “And manage to drive myself to passing out fairly often.”

“You were out for a year and you didn’t just go and find me or Wally, or even just go back to civilization?” He asked, chuckling at my mention of working myself silly.

“Dick. I was being hunted by Lex and I thought you were just a normal boy who just so happened to be the ward of Bruce Wayne.” I made him face me in the eye, “I wanted to protect you.”

“But still… how did you just not meet anyone for a year?” He asked a little downtrodden.

I was about to answer before the scene changed to Big Belly Burger and I felt myself want to be swallowed by the ground. I felt my embarrassment almost consume me as Dick gave me a strange glance, “Okay is this a memory or are you just hungry? I swear even in your mind you are like a fricken black hole.”

I punched his arm lightly with a frown before I mumbled out, “A memory jackass… how do you think I lived out in the woods? I had to have a job you know.”

“Wait so you- oh my gosh Wally needs to hear about this.” Dick snickered, no doubt laughing at the fact that I wore the ridiculous waitress uniform we saw in front of him. Grew mortified as the thought of Wally finding out came to mind.

Hell to the no.

I very quickly slapped Dick upside the head with the little strength I had at the moment making him winch and I pulled in down to eyelevel, “Speak of this to anyone and the only thing people are gonna wonder about you boy wonder, is where your body is buried.”

He nodded and I let go satisfied. Soon the scene changed to the day I was atop one of Gotham’s buildings once again but in the dark of night. I recognized the building and I smiled down as I watched the team sneak into a warehouse and myself do the same.

“This was the day I met you again.” Dick finished the thought and I just nodded.