Chapter 35: Aerated Diabetes

Dick's P.O.V

My eyes lingered on the colorful red and white tents catching all the attention from the giggling children and their parents. The smell of popcorn and donuts wafted through the air as a warm nostalgia.

I took a breath and continued walking. I hoped it had seemed like nothing was going on, after all Haley circus had been my mother home for as long as I remember. It had also been the place I had gained a new beginning and lost my old one.

I could feel Fae's transformed blue irises' gaze flicker to me every few seconds. We both had met in this place too. It had been our beginning too. To think that almost a decade has passed since that encounter with a small cute golden haired girl wondering aimlessly among the metal bars.

I could see Wally was enjoying himself. He had somehow managed to get some cotton candy within his grasp and was able to get about 80% of it in his hair and the other 20 on Artemis . In short one of my best friends now has pink hair and Artemis has a migraine and a hold of said pink hair.

"What were you expecting?! If you eat your damn aerated diabetes near me again I swear I will use this arrow." She said holding up an electronic arrow with sparks flying off of it.

Wally just nodded his head up and down like an idiot and once she let go threw his cotton candy stick away with a pout.

He is so whipped.

I smiled and chuckled under my breath. Dumbass. I turned to see Fae with a similar smirk and she did too. Our line of vision instantly met and just as quickly was averted. This had to be the thousandth time. It was getting old.

Well there was nothing we could do about it now, I looked back to the circus and we headed in. We were all going undercover as the Dangers, an elite acrobatics team ironically enough. We were the newest act aboard the grand European tour.

There were a number of heists happening in different cities, the only connection being that this was exactly when the circus was in town. We all made to our cabin and got our stuff laid out for the mission. Everyone went out for a breather, but I felt a presence hesitant to leave.

"Știu că ești supărat, dar te rog să nu mă mai ignori (I know you are mad at me but please stop ignoring me) ..." She spoke in Romaine dialect. I was surprised she hadn't forgotten how to speak it. I turned to her but that was a mistake because when I looked she had turned back to her normal form and all I saw was every good memory and every wonderful feeling.

"I can't be mad at you. You know I can't but... I know I'll cave if I look at you for longer than a minute or talk to you for ten." I said pensively, "I have to ignore you to keep my resolve."

She chuckled bitterly, "Always seemed to have that effect on you didn't I?" she half-heartedly teased.

I couldn't help but think back on what had happened a week or two ago. Back when we were talking to Harley I realized Fae wasn't some bad guy or villain I had to catch or find. She was simply a girl hiding a dark past. She had no choice in the matter in keeping this a secret, from what she thinks she has to protect us.

Before I could react or say anything, she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and left quickly, hiding her face. I stood there in the stillness and once more through the course of the last two weeks I wondered,

What was going on in that head of hers.

***

Fae's P.O.V

Uuuuugh!!! Why do you have to make this so difficult Dick Grayson?! Why the hell do you have to be so moral and cute gosh dangit!