Chapter 24: Barbara Knows

A hand slammed down on my desk, breaking me out of my daze. I looked up to see a grumpy Mrs. Harrell staring back at me.

“Miss Wayne! Would you like to tell me what we have been discussing for the last half an hour?” She asked in an annoyed manner.

I had been caught a little off guard, because I honestly wasn’t paying attention, but it look one look at the cruddy horse drawing on the board and the symbol of the Roman Empire for me to know. Honestly, she should never teach art.

“We were talking about the horse statue that was used to set a trap in the war.” I said confidently.

Mrs. Harrell narrowed her eyes before muttering incoherent words and going back to her lesson. I breathed a sigh of relief and tried to focus on the lesson properly, even if I already knew everything.

I had been so distracted lately, sometimes it’s hard to remember that at school I’m April Wayne and not Fae. But let me tell you, Fae has problems.

I couldn’t stop thinking about that message I had gotten last night. What had Deen meant by that?

Time to come out and play little fairy.

Honestly part of me just feels like he felt like messing with me. I wouldn’t put it past him, after all, I would too if someone blew up my lab. But another part of me is scared to death.

Why now? Not a single message after that, just me waiting anxiously. I didn’t sleep at all last night because I was waiting for the next message.

The bell finally rang and I couldn’t wait to get out of class. I grabbed my books and was followed out by Artemis.

“April, are you okay? You seem a little…. Off.” She said putting a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and gave her a fake smile and grabbing her hand and dragged her to the cafeteria.

If I’m going to keep my identity and my secrets under wraps I’d have to act like nothings wrong. That’s going to be hard to do around Dick, but hopefully he buys my act.

I dragged Artemis through the cafeteria and went towards our usual table. That is till I saw a blonde girl sitting there too.

She was actually really pretty. Long straight hair, pretty blue eyes and perfect skin. The one ugly thing I could find was that fake smile she had plastered on her face and the intense giggling. Dick seemed really uncomfortable and tried to get away from the girl as far as he could. Getting closer I could see she was actually flirting with Dick.

Oh hell Naw.

“Hey Dick!” I said quickly and let go of Artemis, running up to him. I saw the uncomfortable expression on his face disappear and a smile form. I ran into his arms and gave him a small peck on the lips.

He was surprised but I think he got the message and wrapped his arm around my waist and we turned to the girl, who by now had the hardest glare I have ever seen.

“Oh Cindy, have you met my girlfriend?” He said and I felt a certain feeling of happiness fill me at those words. ‘Cindy’ growled out a no and stomped her way away.

When she was gone, Dick and I burst out laughing. When we had calmed down enough we looked back at each other and smiled.

“Am I glad to see you. Thanks for the save. ” He said.

“Hey, she was going after my man, had to do something.” I shrugged and joked a little. In this moment, I forgot everything else and only focused on us.

Something that I probably shouldn’t have done because when we both turned around we saw Barbara standing there with her mouth agape along with Artemis who I had completely forgotten about.

“When did this happen?!” Barbara shouted pointing at us and making a weird expression. Artemis just had a blank stare and was blinking rapidly.
We forgot to tell Barbara we were dating.

Shit.

“Um-“ I didn’t get much time to answer before Barbara grabbed my arms and dragged me to a disclosed area. I mouthed the word ‘help’, but Dick looked just about as confused as Artemis.

What is it with us and dragging people to disclosed areas? I’m pretty sure we’ve done it more than five time in the last weak. Well, now I must face the wrath of Barbara.

***(One fangirling Barbara later)

She was…. Interesting to handle.

I had managed to escape Barbara’s wrath after she went into a string theory of relativity, how it ended up there, I don’t know. She started cackling madly so I slipped away and managed to find myself in the second floor hallway.

When I lost her I breathed a sigh of relief and slumped against one of the pillars. One thing I was thankful for in Gotham Academy was the fact that with the right motivation, you could always find a quiet place to get away from it all.

Just when I thought it was finally peaceful, I spotted something in the corner of my eye. It was small and quick, but unmistakable.

I took to the shadows and ran down to across the street and into the alley I saw it in and walked out. Another figure stepped out of the dark and I felt an unmistakable growl escape my throat.

“My my, lovely weather today isn’t it?” he said in a sly voice.

“Cut the crap Deen, why are you here?” I spat at him.

Deen simply clicked his tongue and slowly walked up to me, I narrowed my eyes and summoned my double bladed staff and pointed it straight at him. He stopped moving and his smile widened.

“What? Do I need to have an excuse to see an old friend?” He chuckled.

Without warning I pulled my staff up and grabbed Deen by the collar, pressing the cold blade of my staff to his throat. He didn’t even flinch and asked again.

“Alright, Alright. I did come here for a reason, no need to get your wings in a knot.” He chided.

I sneered before I let him go. He straightened his coat and dusted himself off before he continued.

“I suppose you could call this a mandatory invitation if you will.” He said.

“Elaborate.” I said, clenching my teeth at how annoying he was.

“Santa Priesca, 30th December, I will come to pick you up at Flux.” He said.

I raised an eyebrow at him and scoffed, “And why would I go with you?”

He leaned a little closer to me and I heard his slick voice whisper in my ear, “We wouldn’t want your secrets getting out now would we my dear?”

He pulled back and walked past me and before leaving the private walls of our not-so-sanitary alley he spoke.

“Ta Ta dear, see you then, hope you have a nice Halloween.” He strutted away infuriatingly.

He moved into the shadows again and I didn’t see him again. I let loose a frustrated shout and kicked the garbage can next to me, leaving a dent. Damn you Deen.

***

I made my way back to the Academy and once I made it through the gates I started mumbling about what Malick had left me with.

“Ta Ta my a-“

“Hey April where were you?” I heard Artemis. I quickly straightened up and wiped the scowl off my face.

“Oh, just wanted to check something out, what are you doing here?” I said with my acting coming out perfectly, even if I do say so myself.

“Well, about fifteen minutes after you left Barbara stormed into the cafeteria with a giant bottle of glitter glue and a-“ A crash cut her off and we both jumped back to see what had happened.

Before we knew it, a huge tremor shook the earth beneath us. A large piece of debris came out of nowhere and headed straight for us.

“Artemis look out!” I yelled and pushed her out of the way just in time. We both landed on the soft grass next to the gates.

“Thanks.” Artemis said and helped me up.

I pretended to be shaken by the experience and said, “N-no problem.”

A sudden roar or sound erupted from down the road. By now half the school had filtered into the front lot to see what was happening.

Artemis turned to me and shouted, “Get out of here!”

Everyone started running away in panic. I acted the part as well as I could and while the chaos was happening I quickly slipped into a phone booth. I quickly transformed into my fairy form and shot up into the air, heading to the source of all this. When I got to the scene of the crime, Artemis and Dick were already in their suits and running with me.

“What are you doing here?!” I shouted out to Artemis, knowing that we were supposed to be oblivious to where she lived.

“I was passing through the neighborhood!” She shouted out with an annoyed voice, dodging another chunk of debris.

We finally took a right turn and we saw what was happening. What we saw made me freeze.

It was a creature with skin the color of charcoal. Eyes burning as bright as the destructive fire burning within. Blood dripped from its wide teeth filled jaw and nothing but death and destruction surrounded it.

A Heathen

A creature that tore away all that stood in it’s path and left nothing but death.The creatures that had taken my home. The creatures that killed my father and kingdom.

It was easily six meters tall and was bloodied beyond compare. When it reared its head to us I stood still. It’s burning orange eyes burned through me and I couldn’t move. My breath was hitched and for a split second I saw his eyes flicker. My heart skipped a beat every second and my breathing didn’t work.

Before I knew it the monster was running to me at top speed. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t look away. Within a second the creature had made it right in front of me. Everything seemed to be moving slowly. My fear greater than my ability to think, I closed my eyes in wait for what I hoped to be a quick death.

But it never came.

A force tackled me to the ground and the Heathen over jumped me. Everything suddenly sped up again and I noticed all of the sounds around me.

“Ania what the hell?!”

I looked up to see Dick’s worried face. He must’ve been the one who tackled me out of the way. I looked to the side to see Artemis charging at the colossal monster and horror filled my eyes.

“Artemis No!” I screeched, but I was too late.

She went straight at it, arrows firing. None of them worked. She used a grappling arrow to gain some height and swung towards it, firing from a different angle. Right as she was flying through the air, the thing reared up his claw and smacked her against the concrete like a fly.

By now both me and Dick had ran to her aid and he helped her out of the hole she was put in. Thankfully she only broke a few bones, but she was unconscious. Slowly a plan formed in my mind and I turned to the both of them.

“Robin, get Artemis out of here. I’ll cover you on the way out of the city. I’ll try to draw it out of the city and into the outskirts.” I said standing up.

“What?! That’s suicide! I ca-“ I stopped him by pecking him on the lips just to shut him up.

“I know what this is Wonder boy, and right now I’m the only one who has even a sliver of a chance by holding it off. Now go. Once you get into contact with Bruce, tell him that it’s a code 7 and that the league shouldn’t mess with it.” I said moving away.

I looked up at the creature and saw it had yet another body in its claws and ripped it to shreds. It took all of my will power not to cringe or look away but I had to keep strong.

“This is my fight.” I said, before flying up and shooting straight at the Heathen.

While I was flying I summoned my double bladed staff once more and minor white armor for my chest and abdominal areas.

I accessed my full speed and went straight at the thing with all of my might. It saw me out if the corner of its eye and quickly turned and lashed its sharp claws against my blade. I stained against its overwhelming strength, but in the end I had to quickly move back, nearly being shredded into taters.

Seeing the creature for myself really does terrify me more than Dumbledore ever described. It’s like they’re mindless, destructive machines made for only the purpose of war.

Seeing I had gotten its attention I zipped underneath him and headed down the city blocks. It was hard to keep ahead and it was catching up with me. I sparred a glance back to see its furious eyes angrily gaining on me.

I pushed to fly faster, hoping I could manage to get it out of the city. I felt it reach out and claw through my wings and I hissed in pain. They my be magic, but they are directly linked to all my senses. I’ll be able to fix them, but right now I was losing altitude.

I pulled to the left and managed to swing on one of the low branches of a tree. I flipped down and jumped to the side, narrowly missing a giant claw trying to squash me. I leapt as far as possible to get a good viewing point of the creature.

I was just too slow for my next move, and I got cut running down my upper arm. I hissed in pain again, but learnt my lesson and veered as far away from it as my range would allow.

I tried to ignore the burning pain in my left shoulder but it was hard to do when I had to jerk out of the way every few seconds. I tried to get as far away as I could, but the Heathen had speed unlike anything I’d ever seen, minus Wally.

I could barely get any attacks in and it was mostly me on defense and the Heathen on winning offense. I accidentally tripped while I dodged a narrow swipe and was instantly met with a steering pain in both my legs from the claws impaled in it.

I nearly screamed out but clenched my teeth instead and deep gasps escaped my throat. I reached down and quickly cut off the claws I embedded into my legs, making the creature wail in pain.

It slowly began to regrow its finger and I moved away, pulling the dismembered claws out with a raged gasp. I felt faint and nauseated. Dark spots began to fly through my vision and the corners of my eyesight were rapidly dimming. I was loosing blood fast.

I looked at how still the creature sat, regrowing it’s missing ligaments. This was my only chance to even remotely stop it.

I took a deep breath to stop myself from doubling over and summoned my spell book and staff. I turned to what was the last page in the book. There stood only one spell.

Next to the spell stood a pretty accurate depiction of a Heathen. It looked like the illustrator might have seen one up close.

This was probably the hardest and most draining spell I have, but it’s the only thing that might have a chance of working. It was created to weaken and knock out Heathens.

I focused all of my energy into my staff. Every little fiber of mana and power, seeping into my white woven casting stick. I braced myself for the eminent drain from the severity of the spell and slowly pronounced the words.

Jatleya hendrelde a den an kennen sottol ne herk ornersorentoro.”  I said feeling the power inside me just about ready to burst out.

I opened my eyes to see the creature running straight at me, it’s eyes holding nothing but savage and disgusting thoughts. Thoughts of blood, death and war. Just as it was about to close in on me I whispered the last word of the spell.

Helansoro.

A sudden white light filled everything. Nothing was visible but the white all around me. I felt all the pent up energy leave my body almost instantly and the empty feeling resonated within me.

When the flash faded I felt as if my body had just shut down. It was like slow motion, as my knees buckled and I tumbled to the ground in exhaustion.

The dark corners of my vision quickly spread inward, like the world was turning to night. I felt nothing. My pain, my strength, my feelings. They were all gone.

I managed to weakly turn my eyes to the creature next to me. It laid unconscious in the crater I had made. A small, weak smile graced my lips and I felt my tired eyes close.

I did it.

I can only hope someone finds me and cages this thing before it wakes up. I don’t think I’ll be able to do that spell again for a while.

My vision went completely black and I drifted off, my consciousness leaving my exhausted body. I probably shouldn’t have, but I was swallowed by the welcome feeling of sleep before I could even try and stop it.

I slowly made my way into a dream less sleep, the troubles of the living world, far from my mind.

A/n: I am so so so so sorry this came out so late! Like I said before, I had exams (still do) and it was really hard to find time to do this. I didn't get a chance to do it before, but thank you guys so much for 1k view! I was so happy when I hit that. Not to mention I got #1 in wallywest! (which I find strange considering he isn't even the main character) I can't wait to carry on and I hope you keep watching.

Thanks for reading

Lots of love

Ivy