Chapter 19: Me, Dumbledore And Poker

“Um… hi?” I said in a small voice.

Now in previous situations, I tackled the people who found out who I was. This time, Barbara tackled me, and not in the friendly way. She pinned me to the ground and I was too surprised to stop her.

She looked down on me with watering eyes and shouted, “Your dead! My dad found you and you were dead!”

I blinked in surprise and soon gave her a weak smile. Her father was the detective who handled my homicide.

“Well, if I’m dead then what are you?” I said in a smug tone. I know it wasn’t the best situation to joke about, but at the moment that’s all I got. She looked at me with narrowed eyes and let up, standing strait.

“Who are you?” She asked again. I’m assuming she thought I was a clone or shape-shifter or something. I knew I had to say something that only I would know to her, showing her I was real. She still had unshed tears in her eyes and tried to hide it. She always was the toughest to crack.

So I did the one thing only she and I knew. Said the one thing that her and I never shared with the rest of the world. We were best friends before and we shared something that most do.

A simple little lullaby that I sung when she was afraid.

Something no one knew about Barbara, is that she was really scared of the dark when she was younger. The first time I slept over at her house, there was a black out and she was panicking.

Nothing really calmed her down and I was a ten year old who’s first reaction was to do what my parents did when I was scared. So I made a lullaby about the heroes of the night. After that, the song stayed a secret between us, and every time the lights went out I would sing the song and she would calm down.

Fear not the world, for there are protectors.
The shadow of good and the bird of night.
They are the ones, the heroes that soar
Our protectors live in shadows but are light.”

As I sung, the tears started falling from her face and her hands had gripped each other tightly. She looked at me with the most frightened expression I had ever seen her dawn and slowly walked to me. She started singing quietly the next verse of the song and stood in front of me.

“So fear not the darkness, it is their home.
They will help us fight the wrong
Don’t  you cry, your not alone.
Sing with them the nights drifting song.”

By now both of us were crying. She looked up to me and asked with a small voice, “Fae?”

I couldn’t give her a verbal answer so I just nodded and she hugged me. I had wanted to tell her for weeks now and it felt like a gigantic weight was lifted off my chest.

Dick had always been my best friend. Wally had always been my brother. But Barbara was that one friend that I could talk to when the boys wouldn’t understand. There were some things I couldn’t tell them, and the only person I could tell was a girl like me, Barbara.

She and I were like sisters. We binge watched anime together. We tried and failed at making a band together. I was even there when the boy she liked rejected her and we ate ice cream and watched Netflix all night.

I missed her.

“Great, and I thought you would stay a secret for at least a month.” I heard from the door way.

Dick stood there leaning against the doorframe and had a smirk on his face. At this Barbara let go of me and headed towards him with all the fury of an emotional teenage girl and smacked him hard.

“You knew and didn’t tell me?!” She shouted at him. I think I saw actual fear in his eyes as he tried to sooth the red handprint on his face. He might be Robin, but no one wanted to mess with Barbara when she was angry.

All the loud noises attracted attention and soon Dad and Grandpa came towards the source. When Bruce saw the situation he pinched the bridge of his nose and said.

“Really? Honestly, first Wally and now her. Next thing you know, you guys told her old principle that she’s alive. You guys really can’t keep secrets from each other can you?” He said in a defeated tone.

Dick held his hands up as if to convey innocence, “It wasn’t me!”

Dad just sighed and ushered us all into the living room to talk. We all sat down and Grandpa made some hot chocolate.

“I knew with how close you are to Dick, we’d have to tell you one day, but with Fae, I guess it was only a matter of time.”