Chapter 26: What? I Read Too.

Halloween. The one day of the year when boys and girls are able to become ogres and ghouls for a night. The one night where free candy is shared to all and the greatest costume parties of all time are held.

And I can’t go.

“please can I go? I haven’t even seen Halloween in years!” I pleaded with Dick but he simply looked at me with an exasperated frown.

“Fae, it has literally been two day since you woke up. Relax, we can always get you candy from the store.” He said flatly.

I narrowed my eyes, “You know it’s not the same.”

“No. That’s my final answer. Come on Fae, just rest for tonight okay? For me?” He asked with his blue eyes pleading at me.

I was proud to say I lasted a full eight seconds before I collapsed under the adorableness of his eyes. I sighed and fell back on my bed. I saw him victoriously smile before he leant down and kissed me on the forehead.

“I’ll be back before you know it, I’ll even bring back something.” He said.

“Ugh, why is it so hard to stay mad at you?” I asked in playful defeat as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He smiled down at me with his adorable little smile and I felt my heart melt. Honestly, you would think I would be used to this by now. The whole boyfriend girlfriend thing kind of conveys that.

I didn’t really know where he was going tonight. I mean, he didn’t have a costume besides his Robin outfit so I can only assume he’s going to be doing some behind the scenes work. I know he’s pretty much second in command of the team so  my imagination places his night in some sort of hero meeting. Silvalia knows we need to work some stuff out.

He left the room after that to leave me with silence. I on the other hand had planned this to a tee. I had actually wanted to stay home tonight because I had my own agenda to get to. I had gotten pretty good at acting in the year I was out in the big world. I knew Dick would be stubborn though, so I didn’t have to worry about convincing him. After all, he’d know something was up if I acted like I didn’t want to go out tonight.

I got out of bed and pulled out my drawer, my burner phone still underneath. A quick check and I was relieved to find there were no new messages from Deen. I breathed out before getting up and opening the door. I knew Alfred was still home so it would be best if I managed to keep my sneaking around hush hush. I slipped around a corner and headed down to the library.

I already knew how to get into the Bat Cave from there, but that wasn’t my purpose for tonight. I stood on my tippy toes and reached for a book on the upper east wall of the room.

I took down any book I could find on riddles and prophecies. I grabbed most of the myths as well, most of them centered around fairies and what seemed to be related to them. I even took down a couple of books about keeping secrets. Might as well become an expert with how many I’m keeping.

“You know, the last time I actually saw someone use this Library this late was four years ago.”

I dropped my book in fright and out of reflex summoned a dagger. When I saw my grandfather’s wrinkly old face I released my held breath and bent down to pick up the book. I had only been half way in reading this book so I knew it would take me a week or two to finish the whole pile by myself. I know this seems odd to do with internet within grasp but I have a feeling that no matter how I delete it, Dick will find a way to get my search history.

“Well I think the reason for that is the fact that no one really enjoyed the ‘Secret Seven’ series quite like I did (anyone else read these books when they were 9?)” I mused.